TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DLP: Mit vs Sam

by mdaller / May 30, 2005 1:07 PM PDT

I hate to open an old topic, but I'm on the edge and don't know which way to jump.

I've been out looking at ~61 inch screens. I found that the DLP's had better images (in general) than LCD's. I spend a lot of time looking at the Samsung HL-P6163 and HL-R6167 and the Mitsubishi WD-62327 and WD-62725 (might have been WD-62525). Here's what I saw:

Mit: better detail (esp. on people's faces), but colors seemed over the top (greens too green, etc), even when the rep tried to adjust it. Bad glare, but I guess that screen can come off (I'm not sure that I want to take it off with three year old running around the house).

Sam: less detail, but colors looked real. No glare.

Glare will be an issue due to the location and I would like two digital inputs (perf HDMI) to the TV (1 for DVD player and 1 HD sat.) I don't need the HD receiver or cable card in the TV. Technically, that would lead me to the Sam HL-P6163. But I really like the detail of the Mit's.

Will I be able to get the colors ''right'' on the Mit?
Is there an non-glare cover to protect the screen?
Is there a good solution to hooking up two digital sources to a TV with only 1 HDMI?
Is there another unit out there that would fit my needs better than these?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLP: Mit vs Sam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLP: Mit vs Sam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
62525 Vs 6167
by KKRI / June 30, 2005 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: DLP: Mit vs Sam

Hi,

Have you finally decided on which one to go with ? I had signed up for a 62525 but was having second thoughts.

I felt that the picture did not look bright at the store (Best Buy) compared to other DLPs or LCDs. They did not have a samsung for me to compare. I like Samsung TVs and have heard that Mits makes the best Projections. I got to make up my mind in the next couple weeks.

I also read today that both Mits and Samsung are going to come with a 1080p model very soon. Not sure if it is worth the wait and the higher price. I am sure it should be close to 5K (a 2K margin over the 720p)

My questions on the 62525 and the 6167s are
1) do you notice a fan noise in either of them ?
2) Is the picture bright ?
3) how do they handle regular cable and regular TV screens

thanks much

Collapse -
The Wait is Almost Over
by emileg / June 30, 2005 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: 62525 Vs 6167

Within the first or second week of July the Samsung 1080p sets will be available. If you check jr.com and vanns.com, both authorized Samsung dealers, you will find prices that will amaze you. For example, I ordered the pedestal HL-R5688W from J&R for 1 K below list.

Collapse -
Still on the fence
by mdaller / July 1, 2005 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: 62525 Vs 6167

I'm waiting for the 1080's to come out - to see how the users review them (are there going to be initial bugs, etc. Samsung's not building any confidence as far as I'm concerned by delaying their release) and to see what happens to the price of the 720's.

There's also the little kid in me that wants to get the latest and greatest. From what I've found on the Samsung's, there's currently about $1400 difference between the 61" 720 and 1080.

Collapse -
Mitsu 1080p
by KKRI / July 5, 2005 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Still on the fence

I put a hold on my purchase of the Mitsu 720p 62 inch and am waiting for the Mitsu 1080 62 inch. Best Buy said it will be in the stores in a few weeks and will be abt 1K more.

I do feel that compared to the LCD pictures, the DLP pictures (atleast for Mitsu - have not seen the samsungs) are not bright. The store salesperson said DLP is more natural and LCD quality looks like animation with bright pictures (white color showing are pink and black showing as dark red or dark purple). While his arguments made sense, I still feel compelled to look at the LCD pictures as more defined. Any thoughts on it. ?

Also would it be a good idea to get the 1080 right away rather than wait and see what the reviews will be ? I am sure once it is released they thoroughly test them . It might lack features but shld not be defected.

Collapse -
1080P
by mdaller / July 13, 2005 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Mitsu 1080p

I did look at LCD's next to DLP's. I thought that the color on the LCD's was a little better, but I saw "shadows" around movement on the LCD's, even standing back further than I would be viewing normally (~10 ft). I assume that is what they call the screen door effect. I found it annoying so ruled out LCD's. I compared Samsung & Mitsu and liked the detail of the Mitsu's but the more natural look of the Samsung so I'm torn (though the extra $'s for the Mitsu over the Sam bugs me).

I'm going to wait for the 1080's and decide.

Best bet is to go look for yourself. Maybe you won't see the screen door effect (hopefully just mentioning it won't make you look for it when you do go). I kind of ignored the sales guys and stood in different positions. I lucked out because they changed the program from Shrek to an action movie (both off of HD sat or cable). Good luck.

Collapse -
Again, Hate To Rain On Anyone's Parade, But....
by Psych Doc / July 15, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

...DLP SUCKS!!!

You spoke of LCD but then you also talked about a 61" screen. You know, of course, that LCD really only goes up to 37" (oh sure, there are one or two 45" out there, but they're prohibitively expensive). So LCD is not even a viable option for you. Why even mention it.

What is most surprising is that you didn't mention the only real competitor in your screen size, plasma. A Plasma display will simply blow away any DLP, and not by a little either. I hope you, your children and wife all expect to view the DLP from dead on because if you go even slightly off axis, it'll look like someone turned off your set!

DLP is garbage.

Collapse -
Thanks for the information, that's very helpful!
by mdaller / July 17, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

The "LCD" I was referring to is "Rear Projection LCD" which is a lot more typing than just "LCD". "Rear Projection LCD" does go to 61" and I did look at them, which is why I mentioned them.

While I'll agree that plasma does have a much better picture than DLP, a plasma display around 61" will also blow away my budget, and not by a little either. A 61" plasma is more than double the price of a 61" DLP, most are ~3X.

I?m not sure which DLP?s you viewed, but you don?t need to be ?dead on? to get a good picture. I measured out the location of the seats in our room and then stood in those areas relative to DLP?s in the stores ? everyone will have a far better picture than on our current 15 year old 32? tube.

Collapse -
Whatever...
by jonline / July 17, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

Bull, it is true that DLP's have an ultimately crappy viewing angle, especially compared to the 160 degree viewing angle (superb) of any plasma. Plus if you're looking in the 5k range, it would be much better to just go to Costco and get a 1st tier plasma, such as a 50 in Pioneer for 5k.

Collapse -
WHAT??
by jonline / July 17, 2005 6:05 AM PDT

Are you crazy??? DLP's DO NOT have better pictures than LCD's ( in my opinion ) Swing for a plasma homie!!!

Collapse -
wd 62327
by dls0313 / July 17, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

I dont think this is a discussion of Projection vs LCD ''flat panel'' Vs Plasma. He has obviously decided on RP (rear projection) so save the plasma comments. Besides they all have their sacrefices.

LCD flat panel = Smaller size for money but great picture

Plasma = medium sizes and only EDTV for lower prices but nice bright picture

RP LCD/DLP = good size picture and quality for price but less bright and limited viewing angle

I just got the mitsu wd-62327 for 2400 bucks three days ago. the pic is very good. here are some of the plusses and minuses I have noted so far.

1 The dlp is not as bright as the sony RP/LCD but I think the picture is better and the samsung might be slightly brighter

2 for xbox the mitsu is great I have heard of many lag problems on the samsung and I wouldnt risk burnin problems that you could have from RP/LCD

3 The ''regular'' signal programs are good due to upscaling, Sometimes excellent other times murky but overall very good

4 I am currently working on getting my PC to run on it but its a little complicated (no vga in, but it has dvi, however this is still a complicated process)

5 I dont know why but manuel only states that it has 1080i and 480i/p modes no 720p, although all ads online state that it has 720p(however this could be due to me not understanding all info on it yet) so be careful on **327 models.

overall I love the picture and size for the price but the pc connection and 720p issues have me a bit concerned. If your interested in this model I will post my findings as I get them.

Collapse -
Mit 62327
by JustLady / October 11, 2005 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: wd 62327

I was researching this tv and noticed your message July, 2005 concerning Mitsubishi 62327 not 720p and I am concerned also. I purchased this TV on 09/20/05 from Tweeter for $1,799.00 (matched Fry's two day sale price). However, with Comcast digital cable box, the hdtv pictures are great, but the regular cable is sometimes ok at best, but most often murky. I checked their website and the component and probably dvi will not take 720p input. This makes no since because the natural resolution of the tv should be that. Since some of the cable channels broadcast in 720p would that not affect the picture quality? Also, since I have so many dvd's I purchased two 400 disc Sony 995 changers. I ran one HDMI to DVI and the other through the component out. No comparison in picture quality. If it took 720p input would it not at least upconvert to that if the tv allowed it? When viewing through component still says 480i. I still have time to return the tv and make another purchase. This would require returning the stand from Fry's (got a good deal). Should I do that or bite the bullet because of the price and just upgrade in another two years when 1080 is perfected? Thanks so much!!!

Collapse -
by hdtvsalesman / July 22, 2005 6:20 AM PDT

check out the new mitsubishi dlp's this year. Wd-62627 is a 1080p dlp with no screen this year. Retails at 4199 but prices change throughout the year so if your interested email me so we can discuss further in detail. The 6163 model used the hd3 dlp chip which was in no comparison to the 67 series this year which uses a better chip thus the better detail. But, mitsubishi is the way to go with the dark detailer, netcommand, grey segment on the color wheel....front 1394 input...etc. email is in the profile

Collapse -
Thanks
by mdaller / July 22, 2005 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

KKRI, emileg, dls0313 & hdtvsalesman.

Looks like I'm going to wait for a while - might be moving a couple of months. That should allow time for the 1080's to become more commonly available so I can see them before I decide (and hopefully they'll drop in price).

I'll keep an eye out to see how things go with dls0313's WD-62327 (since I don't really need the turner) and KKRI & emileg's purchases.

Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?