Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

dlna support for pause/ forward on Samsung TV

Jan 18, 2011 3:47AM PST

hello, maybe i missed something but the issue about dlna supprt ended on november 2009. Is there any progress on this issue. please let me know cause watching a movie without the possibility to pause is quit poor.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Jan 21, 2011 4:08AM PST

I was able to fix this problem with my Samsung tv by changing some of the settings in my media server. I'm using iOmega iConnect as a media server which internally uses twonky media server.

Which media server are you using ? There might be a way to fix this by changing you media server settings.

- Collapse -
Jan 25, 2011 3:06AM PST

What settings did you change? I am using a Buffalo Technologies NAS which I believe uses Twonky media server in the background.

- Collapse -
Jan 26, 2011 12:43PM PST

Hi Rnassif1

Ive also for an IOmega Iconnect and have probs with my Samsung TV, not able to pause or Fast Forward, what exactly did you change on the media server as there is limited options i can see on there.

and if I try and load http://myip:9000/config i get an access denied.

Cheers
Jason

- Collapse -
dlna Support for pause/forward
Jan 27, 2011 2:31AM PST

I am using a small PC that I build as a domain controller running windows 2008 R2. I stream video to my UN55B8000 TV a lot. The issues I've had is never with pausing the video. However I have not been able to figure any rhyme or reason with the ff/rew features. It's really hit or miss. I've tried using servio and samsung PCManager but with no difference in results. I sometime will take a dvd and convert to avi myself and using the same exact method to convert to AVI I get mixed results. Sometimes I can ff/rew and sometimes I can't. It's really really annoying.

- Collapse -
dlna support for pause/ ffwd on Samsung TV/ iOmega iConnect
Jan 28, 2011 1:37PM PST

Hi Jason,

Fixing it wasn't very straight forward, it took me sometime to figure it out. You need to be familiar with linux since the iConnect runs on linux. Here are the steps in case you're interested. Be careful when you do this, if you do anything wrong, your iConnect might no longer boot. I managed to get mine to stop working but I was able to restore it by following the steps here :

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22971

Here's what I did:

1) In your browser, go to 'https://your_ip/support.html ' where 'your_ip' is your iConnect IP.

2) Click 'Support Access' and enable the option 'allow remote access for support (SSH and SFTP)'
This will allow you to connect to your iOmega iConnect using SSH. I have Ubuntu installed so I have ssh/sftp available.

3) Connect to the iOmega using this command : sftp root@your_ip

Where 'your_ip" is your iConnect ip. You will be prompted for a password. It's 'soho' + your admin password. For example, if your admin password is 'apple', the password would be 'sohoapple'

4) Once you're logged in, go to '/boot/images' . This folder contains cramfs images that contain the iConnect applications including twonky. They're usually mounted as read only mounts, so you can't really modify the twonky settings directly on the iConnect since the mount is read only. You will need to download the image from the iConnect, decompress it, modify the twonky setting, compress the files again then copy back the image to the iConnect.

5) The image you need to work with is called 'apps'. Download it your computer using this command (using your sftp session): get apps

6) After the transfer is complete, you need to decompress the file using the 'cramfsck' command. I have it available on my ubuntu install. Here's an example. This command will create a folder called 'apps_dir' with the extracted content: cramfs -x apps_dir apps

7) After extracting the content on your computer, you need to edit the file : apps_dir/usr/local/twonky/resources/clients.db

Search for 'NA:Generic DLNA 1.5' .. you will find the following section. This is the client spec that twonky assigns to the Samsung TV.

ID:049
NA:Generic DLNA 1.5
HH:DLNADOC/1.50
HP:chunked
XM:DLNA15
DB:AUTO

You need to replace it with the following:

XM:DATETIME
DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/MP4V-ES
MT:avi,divx video/x-divx
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,m2ts video/mpeg
MT:ogg audio/x-ogg

Cool Save the file.

9) Now you need to re-create the image with the changes. You do this by running this command: mkcramfs apps_dir apps_patched

This will create a cramfs file called apps_patched with the changes that you just did. Now using your sftp session that you opened earlier, you need to upload this file to your iConnect. You do this by running this command: put apps_patched

10) Now all you need is to replace the old 'apps' file with the new one that you just created. Open another terminal and run this command: ssh root@your_ip

you will be prompted to login, use the same password as before: soho + admin password

11) go to /boot/images and run this command: mv -b apps_patched apps

this will rename apps_patched to apps and it will backup your original apps file as apps~

12) Restart you iConnect.

- Collapse -
Thankyou :)
Jan 29, 2011 6:00PM PST

Hi Rnassif1

You are a legend, an absolute legend. I was able to follow your instructions to the letter, they were 100% perfect. Rebooted my device with fingers crossed and worked like a charm.

Im even using Ubuntu now on my laptop.

Thanks a million mate, really appreciate it

Cheers
Jason

- Collapse -
cramfs
Jun 1, 2011 12:55AM PDT

I couldn't compress file after editing on os x, do you know how-to do it on mac

- Collapse -
Just a thoguht.
Jun 1, 2011 4:31AM PDT

Did you look at HANDBRAKE?

Free, runs on that system?
Bob

- Collapse -
Samsung TV UN40D5500 DLNA read *.srt
Oct 28, 2011 2:27PM PDT

Follow preceding it correctly, changed the file and sent to the clients.db iConnect, and my Samsung TV UN40D5500 not pause/Ffwd and is not read subtitles *.Srt

- Collapse -
Samsung TV UN40D5500 no read *.srt and not pause / forward
Oct 29, 2011 4:00AM PDT

Samsung TV UN40D5500 no read *.srt and not pause / forward, already tried the seguinres's settings of clients.db:

DB:AUTO DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/MP4V-ES
MT:avi,divx video/x-divx
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,m2ts video/mpeg
MT:ogg audio/x-oggMT:srt text/plain

and

ID: (Seguence)
NA:Samsung UN40D5500 DLNA 1.5
DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/x-mkv
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4

and

ID: (Seguence)
NA:Samsung TV
DD:Samsung DTV
XM:FORCE_DURATION
XM:FORCE_4TH_FIELD
XM:AARES
DX:SAMSUNGFEATLIST
DB:FIX
MT:mkv video/x-mkv
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
TR:JPEGORG,JPEG160x160,JPEG640x480,JPEG1024x768,JPEG1920x1080

and after all can not read *. srt

I auditioned with clients.db clean, erased all the content, even with the TV still reading clients.db *. mkv, *. avi, *. mpg, so that without subtitles in *. srt.

Change in clients.db UN40D5500 Samsung TV was not any difference.

I need help to read subtitles in TV Samsung Series 5, would have some way to other DLNAinstlar in iOmega iConnect, since it is linux?

- Collapse -
Awesome!
Oct 29, 2011 2:54AM PDT

Works perfekt! Thanks! you're awesome! Grin

- Collapse -
dlna support for pause/ ffwd on Samsung TV/ iOmega iConnect
Jan 10, 2012 6:37AM PST

Hi

rnassif1,

- Collapse -
thanx and question
Mar 8, 2011 4:50AM PST

@maassif1 thanks for your solution! Worked out almost perfect for me.

I use Iomega iConnect with Samsung LE37C679M. Before modifying the clients.db I only could play movie files woth no pause no ffw frw. Now I can pause, ffw and frw only are available with the left and right buttons of the direction button and only skip some seconds, pushing the dedicated ffw and frw buttons shows a "not available" message.
Any ideas?