TVs & Home Theaters forum

DLNA Strange Behavior on TC-P65VT50 Plasma TV

by hennesseystealth / January 20, 2014 1:22 PM PST

I have a 9 month old Panasonic Viera Plasma HDTV. I also have network attached storage (NAS) that is DLNA compliant. The problem I am having is not all the media that is on the drive shows up on the TV.

I started with 61 video files on the NAS (52 mp4 and 9 m4v). None of the m4v files showed up (some of the mp4's didn't show up initially but did later...). Panasonic told me that m4v files were not supported and suggested converting them to mkv. So, I did that and then found that the m4v files started showing up (I could see duplicates on the TV). So, I moved the MKV files to their own directory but only 3 show up.

Anyone have any idea why the DNLA service on this TV is so flakey? I can see the files from any other computer (mac, Windows 7, smartphone) and all the files show up correctly. Only the TV is messed up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLNA Strange Behavior on TC-P65VT50 Plasma TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLNA Strange Behavior on TC-P65VT50 Plasma TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Really ODD advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 1:39 PM PST

MKV is not an encoding but a "container." Bad advice. Try encoding then differently. I can't check each set that folk ask about but what strange and misguided advice you get at times.

Try HANDBRAKE and a few of its profiles if you don't want to search what encodind is supported.

Collapse -
Containers aren't the issue
by hennesseystealth / January 21, 2014 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Really ODD advice.

I didn't ask if m4v, mp4, and mkv were encodings. I know they are containers and both m4v and mp4 are "mp4" containers. I had that discussion with Panasonic tech support when they said they supported mp4 file extensions and NOT m4v. That is when they said convert to mkv, which I did using the latest version of Handbrake.

However, none of these are my issue. The issue is that the DLNA capability on the TV is inconsistent. At first, none of the m4v files showed up. So, I used Handbrake to convert copies to mkv. When I copied those files to the media server, then those videos showed up twice on the TV. I assume both the m4v and mkv files were now being accepted but can't confirm that since the TV only shows titles and not file extensions. So, I moved the mkv files to their own directory on the media server and now some of the m4v files no longer show up on the TV and the TV only shows 3 of the 9 mkv files. I did open one of the files I know is m4v and it ran, clearly Panasonic doesn't know what they are talking about with container compatibility but having files show up and then not show up isn't going to work. I am having bigger issues with mp3 files but that is story for another time.

Collapse -
In summary
by Pepe7 / January 21, 2014 12:56 AM PST

"The issue is that the DLNA capability on the TV is inconsistent."
You meant to write:

"The issue is that DLNA is inconsistent"

That sums the situation up 110%, amigo. It's a failed system, and this is fairly well known.

FWIW, I've had 'smart' HDTVs of all makes/models choke on all sorts of files that worked elsewhere. <shrug>

Collapse -
DLNA is all over the map.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 1:03 AM PST

I see Pepe7 mentions DLAN and is 500% correct here.

I know you didn't ask but whenever we begin this discussion we have to go over containers and encoding.

You'll have to ask Panasonic how to refresh folder views on the set. It's cached so if you change files on the server it may not always show up on the TV.

After some hundreds of discussions and too many first hand support on site it's all about encoding and caches. Frankly I wonder how most deal with this. I can share I've moved back to a laptop with either HDMI (cord or wireless.)

Collapse -
Typo. Yes I really meant DLNA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 1:06 AM PST

Just so you know, it's a tough area as some consumers get upset and we can't move forward to discussions about encoding ideas, folder limitations and caches.

If that's too upsetting I suggest you make it a merchantability issue. That is, they didn't deliver the promise.

Collapse -
Not the average consumer but is this what will kill the IOT?
by hennesseystealth / January 21, 2014 6:23 AM PST

Well, perhaps my problem is I founded a software company and have run it for the last 20+ years and expect technology based on standards to actually work. I am not an expert on networking but am proficient well beyond the typical consumer. So, to summarize, here is what I think you all are saying.

1) DLNA is not a stable communication method.
2) There are caching issues that may be specific to OEMs and I should find out how to do a refresh.
3) Be happy if I can get 90% to work and just go hardwire for the 10% that doesn't.

Just as a side note, if consumers couldn't figure out how to get the blinking 12:00 off their VCR's, there is no chance that anything this sophisticated that isn't plug and play is going to see mass acceptance anytime soon. Even the media server (NAS) takes some level of knowledge but at least it works 100% of the time once the setup is done. Oh well.

Collapse -
Preach it!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 6:47 AM PST

I'm a designer. I do more than apps, but hardware designs too and frankly I think the makers missed this one by miles.

1. Samsung's infamous "Error Model Bind" message. Really? Can't do better?
2. Must log into the maker's servers before you use the web browser? Again? Really?
3. LG snooping what's on your HDD.
4. Video players that stop after 2 hours.

Item 4 is thought as a not so sly attempt to stop folk from playing full length videos.

It goes on but the blinking 12:00 must be on most maker's web sites.

Collapse -
Panasonic: "Not my problem"
by hennesseystealth / January 21, 2014 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Preach it!

Called Panasonic tech support and was told point blank:

1) no cache on TV, only reports what is being told to it by network

2) your network is messed up and not the, no solution other than go fix your network

Since all the other devices on the network are just fine and bandwidth is fine, I must assume that National/Panasonic has the great customer service attitude of "we have your money, go screw yourself."

Back to USB drives or HDMI cables.

Collapse -
Remember that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2014 6:21 AM PST

All the Smart TV makers are amateurs. But then again, MSFT is a seasoned amateur (ask me about Windows 8 and help items that take you to no where?)

There is one area where I give them some rope. The video encoding area is a legal minefield. Google only recently stood up the to bully. I can't guess why it took that long to happen.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?