Question

DLNA does not support/stream .m2ts files UN46D6000

Connected my new UN46D6000 via wired 100mbps connection to my Windows 7 Home Premium system. DLNA is configured and works fine for pics, MP3s, AVI/DivX...

However, trying to stream my AVCHD videos (.m2ts) created by my HD camcorder (Vixia HF10) does not work and gives the error message : 'unsupported file type' for all files.

Putting the .m2ts file on a thumb drive and connecting to the TV, it works perfectly and looks awesome. Specs for the TV says is supports .m2ts files.

The main reason I bought this TV was for the DLNA/m2ts support and it doesn't work. I also did a firmware update, still no luck.

Any thoughts out there? Thx in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DLNA does not support/stream .m2ts files UN46D6000
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DLNA does not support/stream .m2ts files UN46D6000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You're right.

Just to check those specs I went to http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46D6000SFXZA and downloaded the manual.

Remember that what plays on USB is not assured to play on DLNA. Many were not aware of this fact.

I'm reading "User Manual
(User Manual)
(ver.1.0)

Mar 23, 2011" does write "Playback of various video formats (DivX,XVID, MP4, 3GPP, AVI, ASF, MKV" but that's not telling you the FULL story.

Since AVI and MKV files are CONTAINER FORMATS it is very easy to have files in those containers that will never play.

But here's the kicker. m2ts is never found in that manual!
Bob

- Collapse -
Interesting..

Thx for the response Bob. Appreciate the clarification.

This is definitely unfortunate and is misleading. The TV itself does support M2TS files and is advertised as such, but DLNA itself doesn't support it? Arrgggh.. Ah well, I guess I'll get a WD Live Drive and connect via USB and run a scheduled daily script to backup my M2TS files to the drive so I can view them.

Thx.

- Collapse -
Remember I checked the samsung.com site

And the manual to this machine and never found such a claim.

There are retailers that get into trouble over adding features like this but I missed where on the product page at samsung.com where m2ts was supported.
Bob

- Collapse -
Futureshop says it supports avchd

Yup, got the info from the retailer just like you said... Also did some googling about the TV and found that lots of users did use it for m2ts files... I even brought my USB stick into the store to test out an m2ts file before I bought it... of course I just assumed DLNA would also like it to. wrong.

Like I mentioned, the TV does indeed support m2ts (via USB drive)... strange that it's not referenced in the manual. Ah well. I'm good now.

Thx.

- Collapse -
Ahh, that retailer.

I know them. They do that a lot. Glad we got this out of the way.

- Collapse -
Answer
SOLUTION to inability to view m2ts files over network

I had the same problem. Rename the *.m2ts file to *.mp4 and it works. I noticed there was something wonky because AllShare wasn't even noticing the m2ts files, but I had no problem with MP4, MKV, etc.
Rename your files and your good to go!!

CNET Forums