Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

.DLL file relocation ?

My operating system is Windows XP

My question is as follwed

Whenever I attempt to open my calculator or open any ActiveSync related program the same error message pops up and opening that application is disabled, this problem only happened recently when I attempted to install a driver for a digital media card converter drive via USB and the Active Sync program intended for use with any handheld palm pilot etc.

The message states- "The system user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:/WINDOWS/system32/SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

Any help would be much appreciated, it is quite annoying when I cannot sync my ipaq to my computer and use it as it is intended

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .DLL file relocation ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .DLL file relocation ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google that?

In reply to: .DLL file relocation ?

"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902
Known issues
After you install this security update on a Windows XP Service Pack 2
(SP2)-based computer, Realtek HD Audio Control Panel (Rthdcpl.exe) may not
start. Additionally, you receive an error message that is similar to the
following:
Rthdcpl.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not
run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL
C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows
system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

Update for Windows XP (KB935448)
Install this update to resolve an issue where the Realtek HD Audio Control
Panel may not start after you install security update KB925902 (MS07-017) and
security update KB928843 (MS07-008)."

Collapse -
update did not work

In reply to: Google that?

I have previously installed that same update but I installed it again only with false hopes, no luck and if anyone else has any suggestions ?

Collapse -
help ?

In reply to: update did not work

bump ?

Collapse -
Another Microsoft KB

In reply to: help ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

This one is referred to in the KB article given by Bob. But it gives additional steps, and also lists programs that are known to cause this.

Do you have any of those?

If not, when did this first start? What changed then, eg what software did you install?

Mark
Collapse -

In reply to: Another Microsoft KB

This error message recently occurred, and in turn it perhaps could have been caused by a flyakite osx program ? it changed some of my folder types to look like a mac osx, it changed everything from my boot screen to all my fonts in any folder and I uninstalled it but it did not completely remove all of its components,

I recently bought this computer and never had problems with dll relocation but I have also only been using it for 1 month now.

That is the only program that perhaps might have caused the error

and also any program to do with handheld synchronization does not work after installation including my calculator ?

Collapse -
how do i start a disscussion or ask 1

In reply to: reply

plz help as i m a new user..... thankx

Collapse -
Why not try the "Create new thread" button

In reply to: how do i start a disscussion or ask 1

in the Forum post listing page.

See the link to Windows XP at the top, above the words Windows XP Forum?

Click that, then you will see a green button for "Create a new thread".

Mark

Collapse -
Ouch!

In reply to: reply

That Flyakite would also have changed some Registry settings as well.

Hopefully you set a System Restore point before installing the transformation pack? If so, that might work.

If not, then perhaps you can try the System File Checker from the Run box. I would type in sfc /scannow (notice the space before the forward slash). This will check for any damaged system critical files, and replace them if necessary. You may need the XP CD that came with the computer.

If that doesn't work then all I can suggest is a Repair Install, again from the XP CD.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.