Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DLL file question...just curious

by becca73 / July 9, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

I noticed that too often viruses etc. attack
(add to/change) your DLL files.
Is there a special tool or web site to help determine
which DLL files are good and which are viruses/adware, etc.? I right click some to check the properties, but not all of them give me any useful info. If there are harmful ones there taking up space, I'd like to be able
to remove them safely.
P.S., I have XP and all the necessary anti-virus/spyware/adware tools updated. Thanks for
any help. Becca

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLL file question...just curious
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLL file question...just curious
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DLL file question...just curious
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

Becca,

I recommend leaving .dll and other system files alone UNLESS a reputable program identifies them as a problem.(Such as antivirus or spyware remover.)

Windows XP does have a program called "System File Checker" which will find corrupted or damaged system files, but it's better left for situations when you think you have a problem with computer operations.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

I find it sufficient to routinely use the tools you have mentioned, "harden" my browser so malware finds it difficult to get on the machine, keep current with all security updates, and do a lot of research about the newest exploits.

Hope this helps.

Grif
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310747

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, Grif
by becca73 / July 9, 2004 7:13 AM PDT
Happy
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Becca, Glad It Helped !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thanks, Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!