Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DLink Model: DFE-530TX+ for windows 98

I installed and downloaded the above item on my windows 98 computer. I need it to work with DSL modem, but I am having trouble unpacking it. I am using WinZip and I need help as to what I am supposed to do. I keep getting an error message as to why it won't download. I bought the adapter through ebay and have no CD. I asked technical support for help and they do not support windows 98. I get the following error message.
Error 1311 source file not found C:/ WINDOWS \ DESKTOP\ DFE-530 TX+_F21/ WINDOWS disk 2.cab verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
Error 1603 Fatal errors during installation. Consult windows installer Help (Msi-chm) or MSDN for more information.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLink Model: DFE-530TX+ for windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLink Model: DFE-530TX+ for windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: DLink Model: DFE-530TX+ for windows 98

Collapse -
Thank You Jtob2. I have downloaded and extracted file Now

what do I do?

Collapse -

In reply to: Thank You Jtob2. I have downloaded and extracted file Now

When you extracted the file, it should have asked for a location in which to extract it. The default is your local Temp file. If you can't find it, then extract it again to a known location. This time create a new folder on your desktop named "Dlink". Extract the file to that folder. When that is completed, open the folder "Dlink". Find the file named "Install.exe" and execute it. This should install the proper drivers for you.

Good luck,

Jim

Collapse -
I did extract file but it contains another 20 sub files and

I don't know which file to extract then. I also installed the DLink adapter before I downloaded the files. I now think I read that I install adapter after I download the file. Could this be the problem?

Collapse -

In reply to: I did extract file but it contains another 20 sub files and

Check what I wrote previously.

Among the files you extracted is a file named "install.exe".

Double click on this file to run it and it will automatically select and install the proper driver files.

Jim

Collapse -
I am back and still unable to extract file

I tried extacting the file but it says exec fail. I am really frustrated and wish I had bought the adapter with the installation CD. What else can I do to hook up my old windows 98 to DSL that is not costly?

Collapse -
Do this, it might install the driver for you.

In reply to: I am back and still unable to extract file

(All right clicks) My Computer> Properties> Hardware> device manager> choose adapters from the list> right click your "new" adapter. Choose, update driver> press the button, a wizard will appear, choose the internet choice not the search my computer choice> run. Let it run, if your lucky it will install the driver for you.

If it "does" you will need to disable your previous adapter in start> internet connections> right click, choose disable for the "old" adapter only. Now go to new adapter listed in internet connections right click it, choose, repair, let it run. When it's done your done, enjoy.

Then you can start a new thread here at Cnet called, "how do I configure my (put adapter name here) internet adapter?"

Good luck.

Collapse -
I tried it several time Dango and it won't do it

In reply to: Do this, it might install the driver for you.

I am not usre what to do next. I am thinking of contacting DLink and seeing if they will sell me the setup CD.

Collapse -
Hmm.

In reply to: I tried it several time Dango and it won't do it

There is nothing in the product specs that says it supports w98.

You may be trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Basic NIC is cheap....10 bucks.

Do a little shopping.....find one that says it supports w98.

Collapse -
Bob, What does NIC stand for? I have seen that at the bottom

In reply to: Hmm.

of the tray. I just don't know what to do with it. I know that one of the directions says i should put the hardware in after I download. I put the adapter in before I downloaded and I wonder if that is one of the problems.

Collapse -
NIC

In reply to: Bob, What does NIC stand for? I have seen that at the bottom

Network Interface Card.

It's the techno-weenie name for that hardware your trying to install.

Since d-link does not show w98 as a supported OS it's doubtful you'll get it to work.

Better to go with a nic that shows support for w98.

Collapse -

In reply to: Hmm.

I'm sorry to see that you are still having trouble.
The driver file you need is listed on the link that I provided in my previous response. Make sure that you select the version listed as version number 5397.
I can assure you that his type of card is fully compatible with Windows98. I currently have a PC up and running using this identical card with Win98 and the driver file I referenced to you.
You can try to uninstall the card in Device manager as suggested by a previous responder and then remove the card from your system. Reboot without the card and then install the driver by executing the "install.exe" file that is included in the file set downloaded from the D-link site. Shut down the PC and reinstall the card. Start up the PC and the system should find and install the card and the driver.
The card is definitely compatible with your Win98 system.

Jim

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!