Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

DLink DIR-655 Website Filtering

by Sammydad1 / May 1, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

Hi,

Apparently there is a HUGE (to me at least) screw up in the DIR-655 firmware (v1.02 on my A2 unit).

Page 39 of the user manual says you simply enter domains or keywords and the filter will block thos websites. Sounds simple enuff to me...same as my old netgear router did....

HOWEVER, in the firmware ADVANCED WEBSITE FiLTER item, it is the exact opposite. You enter the names of the domains you wish to ALLOW and it blocks all others (also requires ACCESS CONTROL to be set up). Who is the IDIOT who implemented "Whitelist" Internet filtering in the firmware ???

Moreso, how did this screw-up get past quality control inside DLink ?

As a parent, being able to block websites inside my router is an important part of keeping my kids safe(r) while they use the net for school work and entertainment. I RELY on my hardware to support my role as parent (and Yes, censor, if need be). This type of stupidity is enuff for me to return the new router to the store as defective.

Dlink Tech Support responded by saying they would suggest the modification of the firmware to allow for both "Blacklist" and "Whitelist" filtering. I am like..DANG...the manual already says one thing...just make the thing work like the manual says it does !!!

Dave
SammyDad1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLink DIR-655 Website Filtering
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLink DIR-655 Website Filtering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On my router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

There is another checkbox that tells it whether this is the ALLOW list or the DENY list. I've seen too many miss that one.

If you feel this is defective, pack and return.

Bob

Collapse -
follow up...
by Sammydad1 / May 1, 2007 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: On my router...

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply... Can you point me to where you are referring to ? I "think" I have been pretty complete in my search thru the firmwawre.

Also in the reply from DLink Tech support it said "the blocking of an individual website was not currently possible..."

I am generally liking this unit and woul like to keep it...it does a number of things much better than my older netgear router...

But basic website filtering is a huge thing for me, and I suspect many other users out there.

Thanks again,

Dave
SammyDad1

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: follow up...

I am finding a disconnect from the product manual to the menus in the router. So all I can do is share the setting that I have to find and change.

Since I don't have your router and firmware version, I can't offer any microsteps to make the change.

Bob

Collapse -
follow up
by Sammydad1 / May 2, 2007 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Hi,

There is an emulation of the current firmware in the support section for the DIR-655 (as well as some others) on the DLink website.... You can use that to point me to a fix for my dilemma.

SD1

Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: follow up

Remember this is all volunteer efforts so if you have such to make it easy, please do that for me.

Bob

PS. I hit the subscribe button so I get a nearly instant note when you reply.

Collapse -
Link here
by Sammydad1 / May 2, 2007 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Link please.
Collapse -
Yup, it's complicated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Link here

I counted some dozen clicks to see "Block Some Access" vs. some other words elsewhere at http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/Access_Control.html

Since it's more that 5 steps I'll decline writing exact steps but see how one could get lost.

I think you're right that they could have made it easier. I know other routers I've setup are easy but I see how they really give you a lot of options here.

Since I can't save the access profile I can't finish the setup to test the results.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Sammydad1 / May 2, 2007 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup, it's complicated.

Hi,

I am VERY frustrated with DLink just now....I strongly believe that if you coudl test your results, you would conclude as I have..."Whitelisting" is the TOTALLY WRONG way to implement a website filter inside a router's firmware.

The ONLY (to me at least) way is to use "Blacklisting" for website/domain/keyword filtering.

Thanks for your time !!

Dave
SammyDad1

Collapse -
Wish I had that firmware and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I have other dlinks, just not that one.

Did you figure it out? I tried the simulator and agree that it's not going to make any fans of how to make a blocklist.

Bob

Collapse -
dir-655 blacklist
by yarla98 / May 10, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

I just purchased this product, and I am in the same boat. I cannot figure out ANY way to get this product to use a blacklist, and that is a HUGE problem for me. Please, if anyone can figure this out, let me/us know. If I can't get a reply soon, this product is being sent back. I cannot offer a product that does not protect the users and still provide a nice free roaming ability to my users!

Collapse -
As above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2007 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: dir-655 blacklist

I see how to do it but it's greater than 5 clicks and non-intuitive except to those that like technical puzzles.

Try the support line and have them walk you through it. I think this model with the current firmware is one of those models to avoid for most people.

Why not pack it up and exchange it?

Bob

Collapse -
in reply
by yarla98 / May 11, 2007 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: As above.

I'm not ready to pack it up and take it back because the other features this router offers are fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to keeping this one. I especially like the QOS feature that is built in.

As for anyone finding the way to do this, I'm sorry, I just can't believe it. I hear that it is over 5 clicks, and the difficulty in blocking sites is not a problem for me. I don't mind if it takes over 40 clicks even. But, seriously, I cannot find the answer to this. I guess what gets me is 2 or 3 times in this post I've seen people saying that they know the answer, but they do not post an answer at all. This takes the credibility of their answer into question. Please, if anybody thinks they know the answer on how to block websites with the DIR-655, please POST the answer.

Collapse -
follow up
by Sammydad1 / May 11, 2007 10:34 AM PDT

Hi,

As far as I can see, there is No OBVIOUS way, no matter the number of clicks (40 or 2), to enact an Blacklist method for website filtering within the current firmware of the DIR-655.

The website filter is constructed in the firmware to be a "whitelist" model which is fine for corporate environments where you want to limit access to specific sites. This is not an acceptable method for website filtering (in my opinion) for a home setup where children & the internet are involved.

The only way for a Blacklist website filter to be enacted would be for a major modification of the firmware to be developed.

DLink seems to view this router line as a business-only device or somebody inside DLink TRULY dropped the ball on this website filter topic.

Sorry if I have repeated myself from my original post.

Dave

Collapse -
in reply
by yarla98 / May 11, 2007 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: follow up

I contacted D-Link about this issue today. In short, per their tech, there is NOTHING that can be done to change the behavior to act like a blacklisting. He said that he would take my information and use it as a suggestion for the next firmware upgrade, but that might not be for another 6 months or so yet. In short, this router is going back for me and D-link has lost a devoted customer. Sad is all I can say.

Collapse -
I gotta get me this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: in reply

I see it, but something is obviously run off the rails here.

Bob

Collapse -
What Rails ?
by Sammydad1 / May 11, 2007 12:37 PM PDT

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by Run off the Rails ?

If you follow the instruction sin the firmware (NOT THE USER MANUAL which is wrong) you can NOT block any given website by entering it or its domain in the list (aka Blacklisting). ALl it allows if you to to ACCESS the sites in the list and BLOCK ALL OTHER SITES (aka Whitelisting).

SD1

Collapse -
What I'm working with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2007 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What Rails ?

1. Other dlink models that are similar.

2. Their online simulator. However it took me so far and since it has no memory I can't use that for the final steps.

-> Rest assured that I'll obtain one of these (borrow or other) to verify it. From what I see it's not obvious, intuitive or even in the manual proper (firmware and manual are out of sync.)

Feel free to pummel anyone over this but I hope I'll get my hands on one in a month or so.

Bob

Collapse -
New Firmware Supports Blacklisting
by greenneer / August 13, 2007 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: What I'm working with.
Collapse -
Suggestions for A Blocklist
by adamstntn / February 13, 2008 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: in reply

Does anyone have suggestions on what keywords I could put on my child's blocklist? I of course got the basics (xxx, sex, ...) but I would like to make sure my child is as safe as possible. Do any of you have any suggestions? Please send them to adamstntn@gmail.com

Collapse -
Solution Found
by noboundaries6289 / January 28, 2009 12:19 PM PST

Hey friend. I had the same problem as you. When Dlink updated their firmware, they included "securespot" services in there. They are enabled by default. They also take control over web filtering, schedules, and parental controls. But many people like me who dont want to pay the securespot fee are forced to disable this feature so the router and not securespot can do it's job. Just go to advanced>securespot>and disable it.

Collapse -
Add AP and/or CLIENT ISOLATION to this type of protection
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Solution Found

Thank you for adding yet another "we're going to protect you" item.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?