Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Dlink Dir-655 repeated lose wireless conneciton

by ccgw / April 10, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

Recently got the A2 version with 1.02 software. Router is downstairs with most computers on second floor of home. Transmission set at G only with short GI, extra wireless protection, QOS turned off. Have Dlink DWL G120 adapter for one computer, and a Trendnet plug in USB g adapter for the other.Encrytion used is WPA-PSK with SSID turned off at computer. Signal strength is relatively poor with receiver adapters around 50 ft from source; but the signal had to go through two walls, and floor of upstairs room with floor joist that has extended W shaped metal reinforcements. Signal strength is around40-50% for one computer and around 30-40% for the other. Transmission rates vary between 12 and 24 Mbps. Still ok for internet connection but far below the expected performance. Problem is that the two computers can be hooked up to the internet, and while browsing can suddenly lose connection. Tried channel 1 and 11 with same results. There are a few wirless routers in my neighborhood on ch. 6. Had not changed any of the default setting like beacon, DTIM etc. Not sure also if the adapters I have are inferior. Would PCI adapters at the back of the desktop computers (single antenna) do any better? Moving the USB adapter by as much as a few inches does change the signal strength by 10 to 20%. Any suggestions are definitely welcomed!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dlink Dir-655 repeated lose wireless conneciton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dlink Dir-655 repeated lose wireless conneciton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"with SSID turned off"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 10:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
dir 655 wireless client disconnections
by ccgw / April 17, 2007 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: "with SSID turned off"

I turned the SSID broadcast back on, and still continued to get disconnections for two of the wireless USB adapter connected computers; I had moved the router to a different location in the house enhancing the signal strength to the computers..at one computer the signal strength is 75% and link quality near 80% but still has occasional recurrent connection drops while browsing the internet with Mozilla. When that happens I either have to have Windows repair the connection, which only sometimes work, or go through the USB adapter utilities to reconnect to the network. When disonnected, I can't even ping the router although curiously the network icon at the bottom right taskbar still says I am connected. Sometimes it will say network has limited connectivity.

Seems like the router kicks out the wireless client while the client is browsing different sites on the internet. Is that an issue with the firewall on the router? SPI is turned on by default. I also have CA Internet security suite on.

Anything I can treak on the Advanced wireless settings? I am still on G setting, channel 11 (no one is using that in my neighborhood), WMM enabled, Mac Filter, WPA PSK on; QOS, WISH and Short GI off. So far it has been frustrating and painful!

Collapse -
Did you set the USB power controls?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
dir-655 wireless client disconnect
by ccgw / April 17, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

I turned off the USB power management for Windows. Looks like the power usage by the Dlink G120 USB adapter is 500mA which is the limit for the USB root hub. Hope I don't blow the unit if another USB device happens to go to the same root hub! I wonder if the computer automatically assigns the root hub usage with any USB hookup, or whether it depends on which USB socket you hook up to?

I unhooked a 2.4 GHz phone station in the room next to the wireless computers' room. There is another 2.4 GHz phone station on the same floor in the room across by Vtech; but that is "supposed" to be 802.11 friendly. Downstairs I have a 5.8 Ghz phone station.

I also used USB extension cables in the room on the second floor to get the USB adapters closer to the router signal which is just one floor below in my house off by a horizontal distance of up to ten feet. The signal registers 85% link quality and 80% strength. Checked the statistics which seemed good:

Sent 146573 Received packets 97581
Dropped sent packets 69 Dropped received 0
error 364

If this still makes the computers randomly lose connectivity to the router wirelessly, I don't know what to do. In the airwave, there is only one neighbor encrpted router signal (prob WEP as it didn't indicate WPA).

Collapse -
Here it's WPA or bust.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2007 4:43 AM PDT

I have many confirmed sightings of the new wifi hijacks. Unless we use WPA it can be hijacked and they spoof the MAC address which wreck havoc on disconnects... etc.

The other issue is RF Channel selection. Try to avoid the channels you find your neighbors using.

Bob

Collapse -
Disappointing Dlink recommendations
by ccgw / April 19, 2007 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Here it's WPA or bust.

I called Dlink "tech support"' about the wireless client computers losing router, and hence internet connection, despite my repositioning of the router almost directly under the room where the computers are, and having singal strength of 85% and link quality approaching 90 percent. Was told to change RTS and fragmentation thresholds to 2100, AND change WPA back to WEP, and if no improvement , TAKE OFF WEP! That's like stepping back into the dark ages with this top of the line Dlink router! I asked them what the extra wireless protection option is actually for under the advance wireless settings, and they don't seem to know and avoided answering me!!! I asked how I can get to level 2 support, and they (even the supervisor at the time) said that is all that they can support me since my router IS working. They are not helpful with suggestions in tweaking the settings to help out. Maybe that is all to it.

I am getting to think that the drops may be due to external interference although in my residental neighborhood I can only detect one or two routers at most, all on channel 6. I have one 2.4Ghz Vtech phone that is supposedly 802.11 friendly that is in the room across the hall.I have gone to fixed IP to help out with reestablishing router contact, instead of having to wait for router DHCP to assign the IP address (sometime that just doesn't work ultimately needing rebooting computer). I have an X-10 type device that communicates via the power line, and not wireless; therefore I doubt this can be the culprit.

I have been checking the router log, and one peculiar log states

Wireless system with MAC address (xxxxxxxxx) disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication.

The next line of the log states: Previous message repeated 4 times

That IS the log of the disconnection. Would love to know how that came about! Does anybody know or how one can decipher this???

Collapse -
Router statistics
by ccgw / April 19, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

Also, the wireless stats (g mode) don't seem too bad:

Sent : 395921
Received: 268394
Tx packets dropped: 152
Rx packets dropped: 0
Errors: 6519

Can anyone tell me how acceptable this is , knowing that wireless transmission is always not necessarily 100% perfect? My concern is the erro rates.....

Collapse -
"Received Deauthentication."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

That's your clue someone may be trying to attach and at the same time will be interfering with your connection.

WPA helps and so will a better antenna. Are you using the stock antenna?

You didn't mention changing the channel. Why?

Bob

Collapse -
Deauthentication frame
by ccgw / April 19, 2007 11:57 PM PDT

I am using the original antennas.

I used the auto channel select mode once and it picked channel 6! I know from time to time I can detect my neighbor's router which usually is at the default channel of 6. At most one time I see two neighborhood routers both at channel 6. Sometimes, no routers in sight. Therefore I selected channel 11 and kept it, with the bandwidth selection kept at auto 20-40Mhz.

My house is estimated to be at least 30-40 feet from my nearest neighbor.

Collapse -
At 30 or 40 feet...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Deauthentication frame

That's close enough to see trouble if for instance they had some troublesome (for wifi) phone. These issues are wrecking havoc and having some flame the wifi maker's support lines. It's not their fault.

If this was mine I'd use a better antenna.

But let's write something here and see if it unveils why a drop is a bad thing.

-> At my dad's I discovered why his dropped. (bad cordless phone) But the connection comes back in about 10 seconds. This means it does work just fine.

There are those P2P users which will get upset about a dropped connection. The fallout from this is that I now write (and say) that P2P and wifi are a poor mix and have told our techs to find out quick about that and then issue our policy statement about that combo.

If you are using P2P and don't want a drop, get wired.

Bob

Collapse -
Dropped connection
by ccgw / April 20, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: At 30 or 40 feet...

When you say better antenna, do you mean transmit antenna from the dir-655 or the wireless client computer receive antenna? My wireless client signal is not bad already at 85% strength and 90% quality.

When the connection with router got dropped, I never checked to see if it would automatically reconnect; would it do that? or do I have to do something to get it to reconnect?When you talked about recovery time of 10 secs, is that after a manual reconnect attempt?

What is P2P?

In terms of Dlink support, as a followup: one night the level one support guys WOULD NOT let me go to level 2 support when I asked about it, even the supervisor that night, saying that that is all they can do for me (literally shutting me out). Today I called level one again, and the guy (nice one)decided to forward me to level two. He gave me some suggestions with trying different channels with fixed transmit rate (instead of best rate selection) set at 54 Mbps. So, I am going to try that. He said that all that I have done so far is OK.If that doesn't work , would forward me to level 3 (that sounds like going to heaven!). He felt that at firmware 1.02 that should be pretty good and it is unusual to have the disconnect problem. He had similar experience before and changing everything in the wireless settings didn't help; finally the changing channel and fixating the transmit rate helped.

Bob, thank you for bearing with me with such patience. It surely has been an educational journey for me which in a way I enjoy (minus the frustrations with wireless networking).

Collapse -
I see some repeated advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Dropped connection

Changing the channel to 1, 5,6 or 11 is all too common advice. Sometimes owners don't agree that's it and won't. What to do?

As to the transmit rate, the default I've seen for years is "AUTO" and that's where I leave since as the interference gets bad it drops in speed and when it's good it goes higher.

About the 85% signal. That's not good enough to talk over the top of the noise it appears. I have an antenna similar to this one -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=700-0000367&cat=NET

And in one case I used the Cantenna -> http://www.cantenna.com/

Hope your head doesn't hurt too much.

Bob

Collapse -
Spectrum analyzer!
by ccgw / April 20, 2007 9:02 AM PDT

I wish I have a spectrum analyzer to see how bad the radio environment is around my residental neighborhood!

Looked at the cantenna; looks like a great antenna with 15db gain; looks like it may zero in onto the router signal and possibly(?)shut out the extraneous neighboring radio signals. If so, that would be awesome and may remedy the situation IF the cause of my network annoyances is due to radio interference. If I go this route, I may have to use a PCI card wireless antenna and then switch out the 2 db antenna for this "telescopic" antenna, and that is times 2! Omnidirectional antenna would also need the PCI card wireless adapters setup at the back of the PC's . Now I am using usb 10 feet extension cables allowing me to locate the usb wireless adapters closer to the sweet spots. The omnidirectional antenna may pick up more router signal, but may also pick up more other radio traffic (theoretically)! Not sure about that. Tough decision.

I would try to play around with the channel settings and fixing the 54Mbps transmission rate and see what happens; not sure what happens to the transmission rate if the signal drops or fluctuates somewhat; would that downshift to a slower rate by itself, or lose it completely? If I have to go to level 3 support, then there may a potential chance of a swarp out of the unit,according to the guy I spoke with.

Bob, thank you for your suggestion, and I will certainly keep that as an option.(prob. last resort before going thru the extra expenses of getting more hardware). Other option is to go completely draft N for the wireless PC's. I have one laptop that has the draft N Dlink card already. Not sure about my Apple G4 desktop that has an airport extreme card inside (think that is a g card).

Collapse -
Received Deauthentication (try this)
by scholarlv / December 10, 2008 2:06 PM PST

I was getting there messages in my log:
Wireless system with MAC address 000000000000 disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication

Countless times. I noticed that these messages happened just before my wireless restarted.
[INFO] Wed Dec 10 18:06:12 2008 UPnP deleted entry 255.255.255.255 <-> xx.xx.xx.xx:54677 UDP
[INFO] Wed Dec 10 18:05:40 2008 UPnP renew entry 255.255.255.255 <-> xx.xx.xx.xx:54677 <-> xx.xx.xx.xx:54677 UDP timeout:-1 'Teredo'

I disabled uPnP under Advanced>Advanced Network settings. And just for safe measure I also disabled under Advanced>Advanced Wireless "Extra Wireless Protection", which is only useful if you have 802.11n network (which I don't yet). Also disabled WiFi Protected Setup which is also not recommended in conjunction with WPA, who'd a thunk it. It's been about 24 hours and I haven't had any more disconnects. I hope this helps some of you out there. There are too much features enabled by default on this router that is only useful if you are on the latest gear like 802.11n equipment.

My setup:
WPA 2 only, AES
802.11g only, hard set channel 1 (I don't have any 11n interfaces yet)
firmware 1.20 (I don't see an advantage to 1.21)
SSID is visible (only because of my blackberry, I'm going to try not visible after this latest fix)
I have 3 wireless laptops and 1 desktop, all 802.11g (Intel, Linksys and Broadcom cards) I hope this helps someone. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any more issues.

Collapse -
Changing channels
by ccgw / April 21, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

After setting RTS and fragmentation threshold to 2100 as suggested by Dlink support, I went ahead and tried setting transmit to 54 Mbpbs instead of auto-best rate, and using channel 9. That didn't fare too well with slow downs. So I went to channel 3 still with spontaneous wireless disconnects compounded now with the problem of difficulty with re-establishing/ repairing connection. Finally went back to auto transmit rate with better ability to reconnect. If channel 3 is no good, then I might have to try another channel. When connected, my transmit rate is at 54 Mbps pretty much most of the time under the g only setting. Problem is the disconnects with "received deauthentication reason" in the router log.

Collapse -
My thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2007 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Changing channels

1. received deauthentication reason

Someone may be trying very hard to get on. That's sad.

2. The router might be dying. Try another make/model.

3. I wonder if you are too far from the router. Try "up close and personal."

4. Get wired.

Bob

Collapse -
Followup
by ccgw / April 30, 2007 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts.

I reviewed the video tape of my house during construction and found that aside from the metal bracings in the truss joise that support the second floor, there are also A/C ducts that are metal lined that would obviously block any radio waves. That partly explains why there are hot and cold spots on the second floor (which I expected) despite the router being only 20-25 ft from the wireless adapters.

Interesting thing is that the matching dlink n draft card DWA652 doesn't seem to have much of a drop at all. For the drops on the two PC's, the trendnet USB adapter drops are more than for the Dlink DWL G-120. Suspecting compatibility issues, I tried the DWA 142 which is matched originally to the Dlink Rangebooster N(draft n) router(earlier model of the draft n series from Dlink). This seems to work with the DIR655 well without much drops over the past weekend (although this is not supposed to work to the optimal capabilities of the DIR655). It was also connecting in the n mode while the router setting was at ng,g,b mixed mode. Funny thing is that the later version notebook adapter DWA652 is still stuck in the G mode. Because of new hardware use, I also disabled MAC Address filter. So, changing the two variables, I do not know yet whethter it is the MAC filter that is causing some issues, or it is just the better adapter. I am still running the other PC with the Trendnet G USB adapter. I guess I will have to wait to see, and perhaps put the MAC filter back on to see if things change. Putting the SSID back to invisible didn't seem to change things too much.

My take so far is that I believe the draft n does work BUT subject to enviromental factors!!! As long as you have something blocking the radio waves then it suffers like any other routers. I ran a repeating ping command to the router and tested my Vtech 2.4 Ghz phone and microwave; only had one line of interruption followed by resumption of ping successes.

One other thought: the wireless PC's are getting good signal from the router (85%) whereas the router is seeing signal strengths of up to 40% from the g wirelss clients. Seems like a mismatch of power between the communicating hardware. Wonder if the hi powered g long range adapters (enterprise level products)that are available in the market (and/or higer gain directional antennas like the super cantenna) might do better??? Although the router may see 30% signal connection from the notebook draft n adapter, connection still seems solid though transmission rate may be below 54Mbps.

Collapse -
DWA 142
by ccgw / May 11, 2007 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Followup

I finally changed all the two g USB adapters to the DWA 142 draft n adapters. Not much problem so far with stability of the connection with the DIR 655 router. Even when I had one PC hooked to the DWA 142, and the other to a g adapter, things still seemed to be stable suggesting that somehow, disabling the MAC filter stopped the repeated disconnect problems.

These n draft adapters,though matched to the earlier version of the n draft routers from Dlink, seem to perform well with the DIR655. Dlink will be coming out with a USB draft n adapter to match the DIR655, but production date not announced yet (according to Dlink tech support). They work in the same way whether the router is set to ng,g,b mixed mode, or just the ng mode.

Collapse -
"disabling the MAC filter stopped the repeated disconnect
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: DWA 142
Collapse -
Mac filtering
by ccgw / May 16, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

No, I was using WPA-PSK and Mac filtering.

I am only using WPA-PSK now. Recently after I rebooted the router because I was getting disconnects between my router and the ethernet wired computer, I had trouble getting my laptop to link up with the router via the draft n dlink card, no matter via the dlink configuration utility (that was the way it was set up) , or changing it to "allow Windows to automatically connect". Rebooted several times also without success. Finally had to restore the sytem to several restore points back to make it work! Wew! Otherwise, most of the time the connection has been relatively stable unlike before earlier in thread.

Collapse -
That's a clue. In (another) some system I found...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac filtering

I had to run WINSOCKFIX to bludgeon the XP settings for TCPIP back into line.

WPA PSK is fine all on it's on. I would not tempt fate and add MAC filtering on top of that...

Bob

Collapse -
WINSOCKFIX?
by ccgw / May 16, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

What is the clue? Are you referring to the XP settings being somehow knocked out of whack to the extent that I had so much trouble re-establishing wireless connection? Is winsockfix on XP, or is it a downloaded software?

Collapse -
The clue was you used system restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: WINSOCKFIX?

You can research what winsockfix is on google.com. Sorry for the typo. I meant WPA PSK is fine on it's own. No known reason to add MAC filtering yet.

Bob

Collapse -
"Tempting fate"
by ccgw / May 16, 2007 6:24 AM PDT

When things seem to work better after having taken off the MAC filtering, I haven't dared restart it to test it. If it's not broken now, then why fiddle with it??? I have heard the WPA-PSK is also breakable, but not for WPA-2, that is, for now!

Collapse -
The WPA crack time is currently ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: "Tempting fate"

A very long time. If one were to "rotate shield frequency" or change the WPA password monthly you would handily outpace any of today's crackers. Yes I know of the "rainbow" algorithm and those others.

Given such easy pickings as networks that are open or on WEP (cracked!) you can sit at WPA PSK for now without much worry. Feel free to ask in our Security forum in a few months to see if this situation has changed.

Bob

Collapse -
MAC filtering
by Sammydad1 / May 16, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac filtering

Hi,

WPA is for encrypting the wireless data back & forth between the PC/laptop and the router/access point.

MAC filtering is used to help keep unauthorized people from grabbing your signal so they can use internet (typically) for free.

If you wish to invite others on to your bandwidth, thats your call. Personally I prefer to keep people off my network.

Collapse -
I'll be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC filtering

With WPA PSK the security is currently tight enough that no one can use your internet (typically) for free.

In a prior post I supplied the link about new tools that have broken the WEP+MAC security. So MAC filtering is dead. WEP is dead and any combo of WEP and/or MAC is dead.

WPA PSK won't allow them on so why do you write this?

Bob

Collapse -
D-Link DIR-655
by nomearod / June 16, 2008 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: DWA 142

I'm experiencing the same problem with "Received Deauthentication". Trying to find some hints in the internet as to what can fix it, but it is proving difficult. :((((((((((
The strange thing is that it's just my laptops that has the problem (internal Centrino and Asus PCMCIA). My Wii, Mac Mini and Asus Router (as bridge) does not get disconnected. ARGH!

Collapse -
So you are using WEP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: D-Link DIR-655

If so, see above.

Collapse -
Using WPA/WPA2
by nomearod / June 16, 2008 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: So you are using WEP?

Hey. No, using WPA/WPA2. Anyway, I don't see why this should be a problem. Any router shoulb be able to use WEP without any problems in my opinion. Also I'm approx. next to the router. No signal problems. My crappy old Asus router had no problems with this on the same setup. Newest. Firmware installed (1.11 EU). Downloading Win XP SP3 and will try to install that, in case it's a Microsoft problem...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?