Question

dlink Dir-615 router

Hi, recently switched to windows 10. Had issues with my internet port. I can now only receive wireless. In an attempt to get our computers on line again I think I created an unsecured link to the wireless. I tried to figure out how to put a password on it but there doesn't seem to be any help with doing this. The router is no longer supported by dlink. I found out how to do a reset (on this forum) and I did that but the open wireless connection is still there. Beginning to think it might be someone elses connection. I am in a 6 unit apartment building. I contacted my internet service provider to see if they had any suggestions but they don't. I would sleep better knowing that all my connection were secure. So long story short....how can I see what connections are mine and if they are how do I change one from open to secure ???? Im not very tek savvy so I really need some basic help .

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: dlink Dir-615 router
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: dlink Dir-615 router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I see manuals for the 615 line at their web site.

That doesn't help everyone but by support I'm guessing you mean phone support where they tell you to click here or there.

I can't dive in here but the manuals are there still. Share the exact version of the 615 so I can read the manual for your model.

- Collapse -
I have them plus website info

I have the manual pdf and I contacted dlink and all they will say to me is that it is no longer supported unless I want to buy tech support. The manual doesn't tell you how to put a password on a existing connection. I thought rebooting the router would erase all previous connections. or does it ???

- Collapse -
This would be a first.

Since I don't have the manual I can't read along with you.

And yes, tech support is rarely free. Even here you pay a little by helping others help you. That is, I'd need to read the same manual so you have to work a little by telling me the link to check or the full model number and version so I might find this manual.

As to the first, I think it's a lot to expect folk to configure the WiFi but we either learn, pay or rely on others.

Tell me where to get a copy of that manual you have.

- Collapse -
Version ???

Where would the version info be ???
On the router I see H/W ver :C1 and F/W ver 3.11NA

- Collapse -
That's what I need. BRB.

Again, it would be been faster for you to post a link.

- Collapse -
as for firmware

I have never updated the firmware .....didn't realize that there were possible updates.
So orig from box.

- Collapse -
Answer
Here's the manual I'll read along with.
- Collapse -
Sorry .......

Didn't realize that I had to keep refreshing to see if you had posted.

There is nothing difficult about the manual it simply doesn't tell you how to put a password on after you create a connection only while you are setting a new one up. ( the connection was made a few weeks ago and I didn't realize that it was open to everyone) I have tried everything. I really would just like to delete it or disable it but it doesn't tell me how to do that either. I already reset it to supposedly factory settings and set it all up again with new passwords and password enabled wireless connections to our computers. BUT after doing all that the open connection is still there. It seems simple enough to just add a password but I can't figure out how or were .

- Collapse -
It's not that simple.

One would have to change the encryption and it's easier to use the wizard. So why not use that wizard now? It's less work.

- Collapse -
will try that tomorrow

I think the wizard only creates new connections.......not updates existing ones but I will try that tomorrow. I'm out east and its getting late here. Thanks for your patience and I will let you know if the wizard lets me update.

- Collapse -
It also replaces the WiFi setup on the router.

This router is not like the new ones that you can setup 5 different hotspots. It has a single WiFI hotspot so when you set it, it wipes out the old setup.

CNET Forums