HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

'Divide between U.S. tech firms, China--a great wall?' : CNET report

by IanC_OZ / March 18, 2004 9:04 PM PST

If you read the whole article, I think you'll conclude, as I did, it was either written by committee, or parts were typed before the piss-up, whilst still boozed, with a hangover next morning, then after the vitamin B supplements kicked in.

Anyway, the article changes direction faster than a hurricane near the coast.

Essentially, China is now doing to its trading partners what Australia, USA, Britain, other European countries etc have been doing to protect and enhance their own economies for centuries.

Interesting reading.

Ian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Divide between U.S. tech firms, China--a great wall?' : CNET report
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Divide between U.S. tech firms, China--a great wall?' : CNET report
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you intend to include a link?

Collapse -
That article gave brevity a whole new meaning. [nt]

Collapse -
Holding my sides. ;-) -NT
by Rosalie / March 19, 2004 6:51 AM PST

Collapse -
It may help the US in this area.
by James Denison / March 31, 2004 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: OH bugger - the link:

The largest market for electronics in the world is the US, so a proprietary standard enforced in China will force their companies to meet both standards if they want to export to the US, but those US companies who only sell to the local US market will benefit. US companies doing business in the US will only need to meet US standards, but Chinese companies wishing to export will be forced to meet both standards, raising thier overall cost of business. Of course this is Chinese protectionism, but it may harm them more.

Collapse -
Hmmm... I understand your thesis, but question your conclusions.
by IanC_OZ / March 31, 2004 4:37 PM PST

About 1 person in 5 in the world lives in mainland China.

A tiuny but less lives in India.

The rest of us, including USA, are also rans.

My reading of the technokogy press is that, even though the protectionist policies of China grate on vendors' teeth, the entire technology world is turning handsprings to get an edge into the brand new humungous market.

BTW, the largest market for electronics is the European Union. I realise the USA press tries to pretend the European economy is smaller than yours, but, sorry, not so!

regards

Ian

Collapse -
It probably is. Maybe you don't follow telecommunications and technology?

China is trying to impose technical standards and drain technological information from foreign firms. It saves money by avoiding royalties, and gaining free technology it can use to compete in the world market. It's not new behaviour. They paid off Bill Clinton to get access to missile technology. A concern might be what a President Kerry would give them.

Intel has announced that they will not make devices for the Chinese Wi-Fi standard. That was BIG news.

Collapse -
That's not what Intel said. They couldn't do a quality job IN TIME:
http://news.com.com/2100-7351-5172127.html

The company is continuing to work with local PC manufacturers and the government on the issue, but it does not have enough information about WAPI at present to understand when or whether it will be able to ship chips that conform to the standard.

"There are real concerns about whether we can deliver a product with the quality our customers will require," Mulloy said. "We made a commitment to tell our customers in March, and we concluded that from a technical perspective, we weren't going to hit the June 1 deadline."

Ian

Oh, and BTW, the link is from my daily technology newsfeed from CNET. I may take breaks from Speakeasy, but never from technology and telecommunications news.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.