Samsung forum

General discussion

Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN32A330 TV

by Peridot180 / November 3, 2008 6:45 AM PST

I was wondering if anyone here has any problems with distorted sound on HD channels using Samsung LCD TVs.

We bought our TV in September this year and noticed that the sound was getting very distorted on the digital channels after watching a channel for only a few minutes. It will get distorted for several seconds, then fix itself, then do the same thing again at random intervals after that. We use Comcast without a cable box.

We called Samsung and had a repairman come to fix the problem. The guy could barely speak English and was over an hour late. He was not at all helpful (he didn't even check the TV before he did anything to diagnose the problem). He promptly replaced the entire main board without a second thought. We thought it was fixed, but then after a few days, the same sound problem occurred. I have another Samsung model TV (LN26A330) in the bedroom and this does not have the same problem. We even switched the TVs to make sure it wasn't a wiring problem in the wall and the TV with distorted sound still did it while the other TV had no problems at all.

We spent a lot of money on this TV and are VERY disappointed with Samsung. We got this TV because of the great reviews and the quality products that Samsung produces. We looked around the Internet and saw that other people are having the same exact sound problem, but Samsung refuses to do anything about it. We do not want a cable box from Comcast because we cannot afford it right now and have read that there is no need for a cable box unless you are getting premium channels or sports packages, which we do not. At this point, we just want to return the TV and get a refund, but Samsung is being unresponsive and just wants to blame the problem on us.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please post. I'm am at a loss of what to do next.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN32A330 TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN32A330 TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: LN32A330
by atm153 / November 3, 2008 10:21 AM PST

Unfortunately, I am having the same problem on my LN32A330, where the sound becomes distorted. I would like to reiterate what Peridot180 said, please post if you have a fix for the problem.

Collapse -
Fix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 5, 2008 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: LN32A330

We are investigating this issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
sound problem on digital channels PN50A450
by cue_ware / April 19, 2009 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Fix

We're experiencing apparently the same problems as others but on our PN50A450 set. Please advise how your fix research is going

Collapse -
Currently working on this....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 5, 2008 5:53 AM PST

Peridot,

First of all, I apologize for the delay. We are already researching this issue, as several threads note the same issue. I have compiled a report, and it is being reviewed to see what can be done. Rest assured, I'm aware of the problem and working diligently on my end to resolve it.

I apologize for the lateness of our service tech. We worth with many good independent service contractors, and if you have a complaint with one, feel free to file a complaint at 800-SAMSUNG regarding this incident. I do know several of our technicians, and they strive to resolve the issues in a timely manner.

If you are still unhappy, call 800-SAMSUNG and ask that your issue be forwarded to our ECR department.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you for the response
by Peridot180 / November 5, 2008 11:09 AM PST

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I actually have a few questions, if you do not mind.

We called Samsung a couple of days ago and they said they are going to send out another repairman. They wouldn't really listen to what I had to say about this problem and what I learned on the Internet about it. Is it really necessary to send out another repairman since they replaced the entire circuit board the last time and it didn't fix the problem. From what I've read on this forum and on other forums, it seems like there is no current permanent solution to this audio problem and I do not understand why they want to send out another repairman. Do you think we should let the repairman look at it anyway or just wait for a solution? Is there a specific person we should talk to about this problem?

Also, how long do software issues like this generally take to correct? Months? Years? We have the option to take the TV back to Best Buy because it is within warranty and replace it with a different brand, but we are considering waiting for a while to see if there is a fix.

We really do love this TV (the picture is simply awesome and much better than the other brands we looked at), but this audio problem is very annoying and makes us not want to watch the HD channels (which is why we got this TV in the first place).

Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

~Stephanie

Collapse -
A few answers....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 5, 2008 1:58 PM PST

Stephanie,

I don't mind answering questions at all. I'm also here to listen to the issues that you're having, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain your issues. I am listening, taking notes, and compiling these issues as we go along.

At this point, I don't have a working solution. In most cases, this problem is rare. It's not widespread; that said, there are several instances here and elsewhere being reported, and I recognize that it's very important to the people it does affect. We're attempting to find the variable that causes this issue.

Just to clarify this, initially, I called one cable company for another user (and subsequent calls to other companies), and the customer service representatives pretty much collectively noted that it could be them, or it could be us, "but the solution is to get a cable box". Well, not everybody <b>wants</b> a cable box. So we're dealing with variable to find out why certain units are having issues with certain cable inputs. Our tuners meet specifications, so we're looking at all possibilities of why this problem exists.

So far, I think we've ruled out satellite providers, so it's a cable variable (so far!). That's the common denominator I have to work with. There are lots of variables to explore from that one general commonality.

I believe the board replacement (including tuner) fixes some issues. In your case, it didn't. That said, if you feel uncomfortable, Best Buy has a return policy (I believe 14 or 30 days) for your satisfaction. If you are uncomfortable that I don't have a fix date, then you should do what is in your best interest.

You asked, so here's my suggestion: I'd rather you be happier with someone else for now and earn your business next time than to make a promise I can't keep and lose your business forever. If your service appointment is scheduled before the return policy expires, give it a try and see if the fix works. If it doesn't fix the problem, then return it. If your appointment is AFTER the return policy, return it now and find the next best thing. That way, either way, you have a television that works for your situation or gets returned for something that does, and you're happy.

Thank you for your compliments on our picture quality. Happy

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Only cable related?
by jsganz / November 5, 2008 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: A few answers....

So, am I correct in assuming the audio problem on this and series 450 models has NEVER occured
when viewing HD channels over the air. It's strictly related to cable use only (without a cable box), right?

Collapse -
Well.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 6, 2008 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Only cable related?

There is no such thing as "Never". All it takes is for me to say "never" and someone says, "Hey wait...." Wink

People are reporting this issue regarding their cable service. But let's find out.

For those of you with cable boxes, are you experiencing this problem with OTA HD broadcasts?

--HDTech

Collapse -
OTA audio echo
by izkeh / November 21, 2008 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Well.....

Samsung_HD_Tech,

I have an LN46A550 and I am watching HD stations from an OTA antenna. I get the echoing in the audio that is being reported. It can be solved by changing channels and then returning.

I am running from my OTA antenna to the TV and then out of the Audio Out jacks on the TV to my Surround Recevier.

This is occurring during commercials, not when the scheduled show is on. These are HD channels I'm watching.

I do not have this issue when running through my satellite receiver as it does not use the TV's audio jacks in any way.

It seems clear from all that I've read that it's a TV audio issue. It lies somewhere between the Input Coax connection and the Audio Out jacks on the TV.

Please let me know if you want/need more info.

Collapse -
Thank you for the answers
by Peridot180 / November 7, 2008 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: A few answers....

Hello,

Thank you for giving me some answers so quickly. Our family has thought about this issue for a few days and we've decided to wait and see if there is a solution before we decide to take it back to Best Buy. We will probably just get another circuit board installed and see how that goes.

Do you think updating the firmware might help? We checked the firmware for the "new" board that was installed during the last repair and it is 1002.3, which I think is an older version for this TV. Would it hurt to update it and see what happens? I also heard on other forums and this one that doing a factory reset (by pressing the exit button down for 10 seconds) and not unplugging the TV might solve the problem (although it is unclear for how long). Any thoughts? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Please keep us posted on this problem and if any permanent solutions are found. We really do love this TV and hope a solution can be found soon.

Thank you again,

Stephanie

Collapse -
Firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2008 7:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Firmware update not working
by Peridot180 / November 7, 2008 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware

Hello,

We tried updating the firmware from 1002.3 to 1013.3, but it came up with the message "No file available to upgrade. Please check it and retry." We followed the instructions online perfectly and tried three different flash drives, but nothing would work.

Any idea what might be wrong?

-Stephanie

Collapse -
Launching the file?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2008 11:45 AM PST

The file is "zipped" (packed?) when it comes to you.

Using a PC computer, launch the program and target the thumbdrive as the destination.

I think what you've done is copy the packed file to the thumb-drive, as that would result in a "File Not Recognized" type error.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Still will not work
by Peridot180 / November 7, 2008 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Launching the file?

Hello,

Yes, I unzipped the files and put them on the thumbdrive, but it will not work. It refuses to recognize the files. One of my drives has nothing else on it but the unzipped files and the TV still won't recognize them. Like I said, I followed all of the instructions, but it refuses to work. I'm not sure what is wrong and I've tried several times.

-Stephanie

Collapse -
Not sure...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 8, 2008 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Still will not work

Without being there and seeing what's going on, I'm not sure what I can offer. My best suggestion would be to contact service on Monday and see what they can do for you. Do you have a service appointment pending?

--HDTech

Collapse -
It's okay
by Peridot180 / November 10, 2008 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure...

It's okay. We're just going to talk to a service technician that Samsung got us in touch with. We will probably just get another board, although I have my doubts that that will solve the sound problem since it didn't the last time. We are willing to give it another try, though.

We will keep you posted on what happens.

-Stephanie

Collapse -
No help from Samsung...
by Peridot180 / November 21, 2008 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure...

Just an update on our situation. We were supposed to have a technician come over and replace the circuitboard again, but we've tried all week contacting them and they have not returned our calls. We called Samsung again and they refused to let us speak to someone in charge. They never even heard of our sound problem and don't seem to care that we can't update our firmware. They tried to set us up with the same technician who came over last time who was very rude, couldn't speak proper English, and didn't even care to diagnose the problem, but we wanted another person. Long story short, they said they'd call back and never did.

We are getting very tired of this run-around with Samsung. This is some of the worst customer service we have ever experienced. I noticed a lot of chatter on the boards in another thread: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=146&threadID=302399&messageID=2911493#2911493. Obviously, lots of people are having this problem and nothing is being done about it.

What I don't get is why my 26" Samsung TV (LN36A330), which I bought a month before the 32", doesn't have this problem. It works perfectly with absolutely no distorted audio. Is it only a matter of time before that one also has the same problem? This deeply concerns me.

If we do not hear from Samsung by next week, we are taking the TV back to Best Buy and buying a Panasonic or Toshiba. We've had enough of this runaround.

Collapse -
PN50A456P1DXZA sound fluttering!
by spike651 / November 9, 2011 11:05 PM PST

I have a two year old PN50A456P1DXZA with th every same issue, Sound distortion when using Comcast cable service straight through (no cable box). At first I just dealt with it, but now it keeps me awake at night. Has there been any resolution?

<div class="inter-pagination collapsable"> </div> <div class="postActions collapsable clearfix clearboth">
</div>

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 10, 2011 2:59 AM PST

spike651,

Collapse -
No cable box
by spike651 / November 10, 2011 10:29 PM PST

Thanks Samsung_HD_Tech for the quick reply!

Collapse -
PN50A456P1DXZA
by spike651 / November 15, 2011 10:04 PM PST

I have gone through the menu and where it should say what firmware version it has, it is blank. Is firmware version 1013.3 the original or should I try to update it?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 16, 2011 3:56 AM PST

spike651 -

Collapse -
Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN22A450C1DXZ
by cnymike / June 25, 2012 8:46 AM PDT

I realize this thread is old but I've just started experiencing this exact issue with my LN22a450C1DXZA Samsung LCD TV.

The sound when watching only digital HD channels, as far as I can tell, becomes randomly garbled for a few seconds then returns to normal. This can continue indefinitely. I'm pretty sure it does not do this when watching standard def channels.

Was any solution found for this?

I have TimeWarner Roadrunner and have no issues with the other TV;s that I own,.

Michael

Collapse -
Re: Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN22A450C
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 26, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
For clarity.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 2:46 AM PDT

TWC and others are moving away from the old connect a cable to the TV system and to Set Top Boxes. Part of the reason is issues like yours where more than one set on the cable and you get service calls. You send the tech out to check power levels at each set and the owners are upset that the cables in the house are not part of the service. (you pay!)

The move to STB's mean they can remotely check for that issue and possible correct it without a service call.

In other words, the HDTV set may be fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Distorted sound on digital channels with model LN22A450C1DXZ
by cnymike / June 27, 2012 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: For clarity.

After doing a factory reset of the TV, the garbled sound has not re-occurred as far as I am aware. Hopefully that fixed it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.