Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Distorted Sound

I own a Dell Laptop. It's relatively new (less than a year old).

Today, I started iTunes to play some songs but the sound was distorted and mushy.

I thought it was iTunes that was giving me the trouble. So I reinstalled it. But that didn't do anything

I reinstalled WMA but that didn't do anything either.

I panicked and went into Control Panel> Sound and Audio devices deleted all the codecs (about 10 different kinds) to see if that would do anything. Well, didn't do a thing. Now I regret why I deleted all the codecs.

So far when the every volume bar is up, and when I am playing any mp3 or wma files, my computer plays a very choppy and mushy sound.

But the funny thing is that every avi file I have still plays normal clear sound when every volume bar is up. Maybe that's what made me think that it's a codec problem not a driver problem.

Well here are the things that I'd like to know:

1. Does it matter that I went into the control panel and deleted all the different codecs I had? If they matter, how can I get them back?

2. What can I do to fix this problem of distorted mushy sound from mp3 or wma files?

I'd appreciate if someone can tell me how to fix my problem. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Distorted Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Distorted Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The common cure.

In reply to: Distorted Sound

Set the IDE channels all to PIO, OK your way out, then go back in and change them back to DMA if available.

It's a known XP issue or bug and easy to do.

Bob

Collapse -
What are IDE PIO AND DMA?

In reply to: The common cure.

I am not so good with twicking with the computer settings.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain and instruct me how to do it.

Thank you.

Ed

Collapse -
No twicking required. Read this aritcle on how to.

In reply to: What are IDE PIO AND DMA?

Collapse -
well...

In reply to: No twicking required. Read this aritcle on how to.

I did as you suggested. But nothing has changed.

I don't know what to do anymore. The only thing that I can think of now is that my laptop speaker system had a melt down and got damaged (I don't know whether that makes any sense...haha).

Now I think about it, maybe I had left my laptop speaker on full blast too long and too often.

It still sounds alright when its volume level is about 50%.

If you have any other suggestions in terms of reviving my dying speakers on my laptop. Please let me know. Thanks so much for your help, Bob.

Sincerely,

Ed

Collapse -
Try external speakers.

In reply to: well...

It's good we got that DMA item out of the way. It's a common cause of many audio issues.

If not external speakers, headphones or earbuds will do.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Use system restore to get the codecs back

In reply to: Try external speakers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.