Question

Display's color calibration settings are lost on reboot

by arpitchauhan / August 16, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS 15 (L502X) laptop with

Intel Core i7-2630QM processor
6 GB DDR3 RAM
15.6" Full HD LED Screen
2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT540M with Optimus

My display was a little 'warm'. I mean that what should appear as white didn't appear white, instead it appeared creamy (i.e. according to RGB scheme, the red content in the display was more than what is required.)

To fix this, I did this
Right Click Desktop > Personalize > Display > Calibrate Color and then adjusted the red and green bars to make the color settings proper. Now, the display is as I want it to be.

The problem is that when the PC reboots or when an UAC window pops up, the settings are lost and again my display becomes 'warm'/creamy.

I've tried going to Control Panel > Color Management and doing what this says: www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/colormgmt/win7/

Some thread told me to uncheck igfxpers.exe in msconfig > startup but I can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Display's color calibration settings are lost on reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Display's color calibration settings are lost on reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried "Run as Administrator"?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 5:02 AM PDT

Click on Start, then type "dccw.exe" in the search engine line. When "dccw.exe" shows up in the upper left display, RIGHT click on the file name, choose "Run as administrator". This should open the basic "Calibrate Color" work screen in admin mode and should allow your settings to "stick" once you've changed them. At least, I hope so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you for thesuggestion; did not work on my machine
by neher5 / January 1, 2012 5:12 AM PST

@Grif,
Thank you for mentioning dccw.exe, and running as administrator.
Followed your suggestion, but after waking from sleep the adjustment is again lost.
This is annoying to say the least, as I'm using the laptop to show photos to friends, and the manufacturer (HP) have set the screen to a rather bluish tint.
Any suggestions on how to make Windows 7 Starter remember how I prefer my colours greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Starter
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 5:25 AM PST

It seems this edition of Windows has limitations;

Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
* 64 bit version
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

Note that Personalization features like changing Windows Colors is not included.

There is more about that in the link below;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-starter-what-are-the-limitations/422801d5-89de-494d-8cc1-6f4fc21c2ac0

Sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you, calibrate display works but does not stick
by neher5 / January 1, 2012 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 Starter

Dear Mark,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Control Panel > Colour Management > Advanced > Display Calibration allows me to adjust the screen tint using Red, Green and Blue sliders.
Once I have clicked 'Finish' the screen actually has a less bluish tint.
So it works, but only until the machine goes to sleep, or I shut down and reboot.
The X-rite i1 Display Pro calibrator also allows to calculate and save a colour profile.
Setting this profile as default does not result in the correct calibrated tint at boot-up - unless I go to Colour Management and set the profile as default.
Hence the use of the Display Calibration sliders.
Any further suggestions appreciated.

Collapse -
Yes that's right
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 5:48 AM PST

I would say that is what the limitation is. It seems you can make changes, but on reboot the changes revert back to default settings.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.