Question

Display Issues Linger, Suspect Motherboard Damage

Due to a recent overheating problem which has now been fixed, my display had not been transmitting from my computer to my monitor at all. However, I have been able to make it function by replacing my white DV-I cables with standard PC out cables with a DV-I adapter to fit into my recently acquired nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. I thought I had fixed the problem until I noticed that it took the display significantly longer to appear on screen upon booting up the system after being shut off. I fear that the heat from the CPU may have slightly damaged a component of my motherboard that controls visual data. Everything else seems to function fine now except for this one issue. Is there any way I can confirm if my motherboard has been damaged in this specific area, or is there another root cause?

I'm currently running an EVGA x58 SLI LE motherboard with an Intel Core i7-930 processor in the LGA 1366 slot. Power Supply has a maximum voltage of 750w and graphics card is an nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Display Issues Linger, Suspect Motherboard Damage
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Display Issues Linger, Suspect Motherboard Damage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
About that delay.

I can imagine a newer user, that is, one that didn't live through the days before Windows may think that. The display has to sync to the signal and there can be a delay or change from what you had before.

I can see where any change could be taken as a bad sign to the folk new to PCs. So if it works, and this is the only issue, I would close the case and use the machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Definitely something wrong.

I recently picked up a new DVI-D cable and hooked it up to my monitor/graphics card. Everything seemed to work fine, but then the screen went black again and I heard the noise that plays if something has disconnected from the computer, like a USB port. I'm going to try hooking this new cord to an older, but still functional graphics card to see if anything changes.

- Collapse -
This is a wild guess.

That USB sound then a blank screen has me wondering who installed the OS. It's a shame that after more than 2 decades the industry is still in such disarray when it comes to installing Windows 7. Comment over...

Try this -> http://www.ehow.com/how_4970112_fix-port-turns-off-repeatedly.html

Disable that power setting since it's the closest thing I can think of given the clues.
Bob

- Collapse -
Perhaps, but...

I find it a little odd that my monitor works with a VGA cable and not a DVI cable evwn though it supports both. Maybe there's something wrong with the DVI port on my monitor. I'll have to check it out.

- Collapse -
Not at all odd to me.

The more PCs you encounter in your repairs the more you see. The slim clue you gave would have me try that USB power setting since it rings a bell about an old issue I encountered.

We also have done other odd things that you can try in a pinch such as limiting the number of CPU cores when you suspect odd failing hardware.
Bob

- Collapse -
Okay, lets try it your way.

I just tested my monitor with another machine and it appears to be functioning perfectly, so it is indeed an internal problem. I'm going to go ahead and look at the USB power settings you posted to see if that will fix things.

CNET Forums