Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Display content from network computer on web server, visible

Hi all. This is my first post so bear with me if I don't know all rules Happy

I have a web server with public IP that is connected to internal network. I would like to display content from my networked machine.
The network machine can't be accessed from internet and I want to keep it that way. (it can go to web though).
Web server is Ubuntu server so I get the part of working it out with ip tables. I want to display content from internal nw machine but so it can only be seen through web server. (it should be re-rendered on web server with some technology or application).

To recap: show content from nw pc on web server and only visible when looking on web server, other direct connections prevented.

Thank you,
Mario

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Display content from network computer on web server, visible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Display content from network computer on web server, visible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Too vague but

In reply to: Display content from network computer on web server, visible

What stopped you? While you were not clear about the setup or what is to be displayed and how, you didn't reveal your plan or design.
Bob

Collapse -
some explanation

In reply to: Too vague but

I have an html web app in "internal" network. I want to display it's content on web server and web server only. Is there some solution that would present my web app from internal network on my public web server, and not open it so that anyone that can look into source open it directly.

If I access it via iframe, that would mean, it can be accessed from outside.
is there a solution that would serve as a gateway but close any connections to network machine outside the network?
Thanks,
Mario

Collapse -
Then it's dead on arrival.

In reply to: some explanation

You wrote " not open it so that anyone that can look into source ". That's a little muddy but for years folk have danced around and lost far too much time over trying to hide or obfuscate source in HTML. Sorry but it's right there in all the web browsers I use if I view source. The source code is in the clear.

It's a shame that the real goal seems hidden here. Sometimes folk try to avoid revealing they want access to the files on that PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's my thought on this.

In reply to: Display content from network computer on web server, visible

Install the usual remote access software (gotomypc, VNC) and network, password, secure as needed.

As presented it's a mess. I can't tell what "content" is. It could be some HTML pages, maybe it's the usual "I want to access my PC from home" or something else.

What's clear so far is that the solution is not going to happen given the current skill set.
Bob

Collapse -
more details

In reply to: Here's my thought on this.

I have an amazon instance that has public IP eg: 10.25.251.38 and is also connected to internal network (10.1.50.xxx) with bunch of other amazon instances running ubuntu that have a BI Web Application installed. They are also on the same internal network different subnet (10.1.51.xxx).

I can start and stop those instances from web server (10.25.251.38) using amazon aws sdk.
Now the tricky part:
I also want to load those instances up directly in same web server. Best course of action would be to use in Iframe, but then users can easily see the address where iframe is pointing to and I want to force users to use my web app only.
I agree with Bob on the subject of openness vs closeness of html, but in this particular case, I would prefer to limit access as much as possible to internal network.

Hope this clarifies the question and results in an awesome response Happy
Thank you guys,
Mario

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.