Computer Help forum

General discussion

Display blacks out, monitor doesn't detect a signal.

by bug_of_nature / July 1, 2008 3:47 AM PDT

Hi everyone,
This is a problem which has been bugging me for almost a year in short bursts, but seems to be a big problem now.

When I am normally using my computer (surfing the web or playing a game), the screen will black out momentarily, and then reappear. Usually when it reappears, some of the elements on the screen are garbled. Then it starts to black out every few seconds which causes a headache. And finally, the monitor goes black and it's light goes red, as if the PC isn't on but it actually is.

Then I decide to restart the PC, but even though I do that, the PC boots up but the monitor gives me a message 'Signal Cable Not Detected' and turns the light red again.

At times, it boots up fine when I shake the CPU itself or wiggle the DVI cable wire a few times, but not for long and blacks out again after a while.

This is all I have done to fix it :

1 - I purchased a new monitor, replacing my 17 inch CRT monitor with a 19 inch LCD one but the problem remains.

2 - Replaced my graphic card with a new one but the problem remains.

3 - Replaced my processor with a new one but the problem remains.

4 - Replaced the power supply/fan to no avail.

5 - Reformatted the PC to no avail.

6- Reinstalled video drivers to no avail.

I suspect its a problem is with the connection of the monitor and graphic card as shaking the CPU hard or wiggling the DVI cable momentarily fixes it, sometimes even for months. Sometimes it all goes fine until I go behind the PC to add a USB device or something and the problem comes back.

Please help me fix this issue. Let me know what the problem could be and I would be very grateful. I have spent a lot of money to fix it but nothing helped.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Display blacks out, monitor doesn't detect a signal.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Display blacks out, monitor doesn't detect a signal.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My system Specs
by bug_of_nature / July 1, 2008 3:50 AM PDT

Sorry i forgot to post my system specs.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHZ
1 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
Windows XP SP2 Professional
40 GB HDD
19 '' LCD Monitor

Collapse -
Has the cable been replaced
by 4Denise / July 1, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

since the problem started? Also, check and double check to make sure the connections are secure.

Denise

Collapse -
Hi
by bug_of_nature / July 1, 2008 8:58 AM PDT

Hi, the cable isnt replaced yet, but this cable came with the new monitor, and as I said the problem was even before with the old one so maybe that might not be the fault.

Collapse -
Just double check it then
by 4Denise / July 1, 2008 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi

because that would be the first thing I would do. Beyond that, it is past my level of experience.

Denise

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.