Computer Help forum

General discussion

Display appearance problem

by Whitesnake / November 27, 2004 6:10 AM PST

I need help with something that is really foxing me.
For some reason when I chose the appearance tab in display properties and click on Apply after I've changed the colours, icon size or font/size or anything you can change there ... display properties stops responding and I can't even click on OK. So I have to use the Ctrl+Alt+Del to close it down.
I've downloaded updated drivers; re-installed 98se and absolutely nothing works ... I do not want to format, I've not had chance to do a backup and don't want to lose anything I have downloaded in the way of Free programs.
I'd be grateful for any idea that works that I haven't tried. I have tried changing through Safe Mode but you can't get the colours to be just how you want also my mouse is USB. I live in the UK.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Display appearance problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Display appearance problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things (mayby)
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2004 8:55 AM PST

Do you have the display properties set to "Apply without restarting"?. If so, try requiring a restart. As well as video card drivers it sometimes helps if your monitor is recognized exactly by manufacturer and model. Generic Plug and Play does not always work. If you cannot find the exact monitor driver (it just describes it's capabilities) try to get as close as possible.

Collapse -
Re: Two things (mayby)
by Whitesnake / November 29, 2004 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Two things (mayby)

Steve, everything has been tried, and I MEAN everything so it's driving me mad not being able to sort it out.
Usually I can sort it out as I've been working with computers on and off for over 20 yrs. My monitor is an AT&T 14" low radition model. The video chip is SIS 630/730 and what you are suggesting would have no affect on what I want to do. I am running 98SE, I right click on the desktop b/ground; select properties; click the appearance Tab, go to change FONT; ICON size; display scheme and after choosing the items and change them to what I want, the computer doesn't respond and change.
The only way to change is to go to Safe mode and plug a PS 2 mouse in and as I'm disabled which makes getting to the back of my computer is very awkward as I cannot get down to floor level. Please read throught the request for help properly and you will noticed everything I mentioned in this post was in the first.
Sorry to get a bit abrupt with you but I did state my problem in my post and to me, you obviously didn't read it through correctly.

Collapse -
No fix here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 1:21 AM PST

Since it's your machine to fix and there is not enough detail (and never will be!) I have to supply this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299923

To recap what that article is saying is that either an .CPL file is corrupt or some driver is not correct for your system.

Let's take that note you wrote about "reinstall windows". I've yet to meet more than a few people that know that installing Windows 98se "OVER THE TOP" of an existing install requires us to also install motherboard support drivers and more.

I can not help you do this. Also, leave all ire and spit for those that deserve it. The supplier of your machine should have left you notes on how to install the OS proper.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by Whitesnake / February 5, 2005 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: No fix here.

Hey Bob,
I didn't mean to snap but when I say I have re-installed windows ... I did the lot, drivers, everything. In the end I re-formatted and did a clean install because of another problem and it is still happening. It let me change the appearance of the desktop twice and that was it ... what is wrong? Any ideas?

I'm quick to anger when someone says the obvious and it's not the obvious I'm asking for help with. We find that retailers here in the UK are about as helpful as a freezer in the middle of the Artic ... it's a case of struggle on, suppliers won't help if the machine is like mine ... using an OS that M/Soft don't do support for. It is like being out in the cyber wilderness over here ... you are very lucky if you can find a reliable techie within 15 to 20 miles ... haven't got wheels to get there.

Collapse -
obvious tried, now try unobvious..
by reefurbb / February 5, 2005 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: sorry

your profile didn't list PC or mobo, processor, ram.
If video uses some of ram, and ram may be not 100%, then dear Gwenivere, video may not be 100%.
If AMD K6-2, I have run into these that are slightly bad but it doesn't show as such on my tests I have, just in glitchy running and finally corrupted data.
Some ZoneAlarm versions are known to mess with you.
Why did you change the appearance twice? Because it had changed when you did something, add something?
I sometimes put in a 4mb PCi video card just to get around onboard chip and see if it might be glitchy.
I get them for $12 local-used.
S. Holmes uses this deductive reasoning, as long as you're not in Brighton!

Collapse -
My pc is home build
by Whitesnake / February 7, 2005 8:19 AM PST

to a majority but the board is sis based but not sure, cpu is AMD Duron and the ram 512Mb.
It's nothing to do with the video, which is SIS intergrated using 16Mb of main memory.
It is definitely the appearance settings that just won't respond ... even after running all the latest updates. I've not added anything to my board etc; lately ... not since the USB card nearly a year ago and all the display problems happened months after all that. All I want to do is change the size of my fonts and icons on the desktop but as soon as I get everything as I want it and click the apply button, the PC just stops responding ... and I've waited a good 30 minutes a couple of times ... so I use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it. There are no corrupt files so what the dickens is doing all this?

No, not in Brighton but along the South Coast to the west of ...

Whitesnake Lady

Collapse -
"what the (Charles) dickens..." too much BBC...
by reefurbb / February 7, 2005 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: My pc is home build

have your video drivers where you can browse to, remove the SiS display adaptor in Device Manager, reboot. PC will either auto load drivers or ask you for them. Updating drivers on top of corrupt drivers won't work. Sometimes Hasty Pudding knocks out or corrupts drivers for no apparrent reason, or some hdwr add, or sftware add, or because of unrest in Kennsington. Don't know what else except my mention of bad ram being shared.

Collapse -
last re-install
by Whitesnake / February 8, 2005 8:40 AM PST

was clean install as were the updated drivers and as I have the latest ... I check at least every 6 to 8 weeks ... but if it was the SiS display adaptor, then [a]I get no display and I don't get asked to load new or updated drivers ... just asks for the 98se disc and the system board disc. I even adjusted the amount of ram given to graphics down to bare min ... double check the memory was seated properly ... it is. It's not faulty as a friend who builds PC's checked it out on a test board rigged for checking ram. Even he is stumpted. He double checked my system for me at lunch-time and said it's all A-OK ... so what now? That is the really annoying thing wrong with it.
Are you in the UK? Not many know what the dickens means unless English ... LOLs

Cheers

Collapse -
Wondering
by TONI H / February 8, 2005 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: My pc is home build

if the video card is actually identified correctly. Have you tried running an online free scan that will identify by model name and number all your hardware? http://www.belarc.com

Once you have the scan done, you can print it out for handy future refernce.

TONI

Collapse -
Yes Toni H
by Whitesnake / February 9, 2005 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Wondering

... did that when the problem first arose. I did have another problem that was getting to me a bit and I cured that accidently when AVG Free crashed this afternoon and I had to completely uninstall it. After the reinstall I noticed my other problem had vanished so when I go offline later tonight I'll check if I can can the desktop appearance at all, using the appearance Tab in the display properties of 98SE. As you can gather, IT IS NOT anything to do with the video graphics setting as I have been trying to work out what was up for months.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?