Laptops forum

General discussion

Displaced by hurricane, need to buy a notebook.

by Big Steve / September 10, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

Greetings everyone:

Reporting from Katy, Texas tonight; forced to evacuate from Biloxi, Mississippi on Sunday; August 28, 2005 before Hurricane Katrina came crashing into my area on Monday; August 29, 2005 where I rode the hurricane out 75 miles north of Biloxi, Mississippi in 2 hotels; 1 with no power and no water; the other also with no power but plenty of ice cold water to take showers and also safe to drink.

Gas for autos was also not available until I drove north 50 miles from my second hotel on Wednesday; August 31, 2005 to fill up my Tahoe. I have been in Katy, Texas now for 9 days and will probably not be able to return home to my neighborhood for another week due to poor water quality and wished that I had a notebook PC to use while staying here in this very nice Marriott hotel which has high speed internet connections in every room.

There is one desktop PC in the lobby but the lines to use it are long. Can anyone recommend a good entry level notebook PC I could purchase while here in Katy, Texas which is located near Houston, Texas?

Nothing fancy in a notebook; just the basics which I could use during the remainder of my staty here in Texas until I receive word from Mississippi that it's safe to return to Biloxi.

Big Steve
Hurricane evacuee from Biloxi, MS
Location tonight-Katy, Texas

End Of Message
09/10/05

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Displaced by hurricane, need to buy a notebook.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Displaced by hurricane, need to buy a notebook.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compaq M2105US
by Technojunkie2 / September 10, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

The cheapest decent notebook I can think of is the Compaq M2000z series. The office superstores (Staples, etc) usually carry them. AMD Sempron CPU, ATI Radeon 200M shared memory GPU, 15" 1024x768 screen, WiFi, etc. You'll probably want to add more RAM but that's about it. I'm having trouble finding them on the store websites (they're on hp.com) but the Sunday newspaper ads might show them.

Collapse -
Re: Displaced by hurricane; need an entry level notebook PC
by Big Steve / September 11, 2005 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Compaq M2105US

Thanks for the post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, MS
Katy, TX - tonight

End Of Reply
09/11/05

Collapse -
You're not far from Michael Dell's....
by Michael Geist / September 12, 2005 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Compaq M2105US

hometown (well maybe you are, it is Texas), but this weeks circular shows a $599 special.

Collapse -
Contact
by ikenfixit / September 13, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

Shawn Hannon in the Houston area.. Owns 2 shops there and he could set you up with somthing.. Hes a good guy and weve repaired laptops for him on occasion. Tell him Ken from ikenfixit.com sent you. (This should double the purchase price).. Joke..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.