Mac Applications forum

General discussion

DiskWarrior and/or TechTool Pro 4 now?

Hello,
I have a PowerBook G4 with an (almost full) 80 GB drive and I just purchased a 500GB LaCie Big Disk Extreme Firewire External Hard Drive. I don't have any 3rd party disk utilities, but I'm wondering if I should get one. I know that DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro both are highly recommended on this site and elsewhere, but I'm not sure if I should buy one or both. They each cost about $80 and I can't tell the difference between what they do. Can someone who has experience with each please help clarify the differences between the two and let me know if they recommend one or both? I am not currently experiencing and hard disk problems (knock on wood), but I know that it's probably just a matter of time.
Thank you,
Erik

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DiskWarrior and/or TechTool Pro 4 now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DiskWarrior and/or TechTool Pro 4 now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Choices

In reply to: DiskWarrior and/or TechTool Pro 4 now?

If it comes to a choice, the one I would go for would be Disk Warrior.
Disk Warrior is a directory rebuilding utility and has save many a HD from an early demise. It only does the one thing but it does it wonderfully.
Tech Tool Pro is more of an all round player that will allow you to perform a number of tests on your machine. It does a good job at what it does.
So, Disk Warrior first and then on to the Free Stuff. Check out Onyx and Yasu, google for them. Both are utilities that perform the Unix Cron's that are normally done by OS X when you are asleep and the machine is turned on. (Like overnight). There are Daily, Weekly and Monthly cron scripts that you can run whenever you feel like it. The cron scripts check a whole bunch of things on your machine.
Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
All True

I would also get Disk Warrior first, but then I'd start saving up for TTP. Nine times out of ten Disk Warrior will fix it, because 9 out of 10 times it's the directory.
Other apps can repair a directory, including TTP. There's the difference. Disk Warrior doesn't try to repair your directory, it creates a new one, and lets you compare the two and decide which one you want.
The theory is that a repair can sometimes just hide a problem with a patch, or make things worse. Disk Warrior asks that if you are going to use more than one utility, that you use theirs first, because the others hide problems and it just makes it harder for Disk Warrior to do it's job.

On the other hand, twice in the last 6 months, I have had a drive fail, and Disk Warrior wouldn't even try to fix it. The app said it was too far gone, and that I should use a recovery program and salvage what I could. Both times, TTP4 brought it back from the dead long enough to access the files that didn't make the last back-up.

One other piece of advice. Partition that 500 down to say, five 100gig partitions. Why?
If you have a problem, it will only be 20% of your drive at risk.
Also, it takes a long time to fix 100gig no matter what program you are using. If it has to go through 500gig to fix your problem, it may take longer than a day just to see if it worked, or if you are going to have to try something else that will also take longer than a day.

500gig? Hmmm. Cool.

Lampie

Collapse -
Drive Genius and Data Rescue X- Beware of TTP

In reply to: All True

I had been using DiskWarrior and TTP4. Both seemed to work fine. Til I used TTP to optimize one of my HDs. It totally hosed it. I couldn't mount it and every utility I used failed to repair it. 60 gig of stuff gone. Then someone suggested Data Rescue X ( Prosoft). It retieved most of my stuff so I could reformat without losing everything. Drive Genius( also Prosoft) does most things a utility should and does them well. I agree - Partition -you'll be glad you did.

Collapse -
TechTool Pro 4.0

I have an imac, OS10.3.9. I purchased a TechTool pro 4.0, installed it and then upgraded it to 4.1. Faithful to the instructions I then installed the recommended e-drive which my manual assured me would not partition my hard drive. But when I installed it my HD became invisible. When I tried to reboot it it would only reboot to the e-drive. I tried everything to recover my date, nothing worked. I then called the technician at TechTool and spend some plesant hours with him but none of his suggestions were able to 1)eliminate the e-drive (which the manula said could be done by booting up from the CD that installed the application), 2) or recover my data (the e-drive did not have enough space to recover my documents, filling up its space with aplications (which i had backed up).

I finally gave up and did a clean install, lsoing much valuable data and spending hours reinstalling software.

When I clean installed, wiping my HD, I took the opportunity to install Tiger. But while evryting is working, I do not dare to install TechT00ol Pro4 on my Tiger. It will rest in my drawer ot tha trashbin of my office.

Evidently, despite what the manual says, TechTool did create a partition which swallowed my HD and made it invisible and unrecoverable.

I warn other users, although the TechTool technician assured me that what happened to me was "strange" and inexplicable and had not been encountered in his previous experience. His explanation for my debacle was that I must have hjad a "bad bloc" on my Hard disk.

Collapse -
TTP

In reply to: TechTool Pro 4.0

Now that you mention it, this is not the first time I have heard of this happening.
In the other case, the technician claimed bad blocks as the reason for the HD disappearing.
I can almost guarantee that if I called TTP and recited the same problem, they would claim that this is the first time they have ever heard of it happening.
Although I use TTP and am pleased with its performance, I have NOT installed the E-Drive and have no plans to do so.

P

Collapse -
disc utilities

Hi Erik,
Go for Disc Warrior, it's a life saver. TTool does lots of stuff visibly but I've never seen it fix anything. Disc Warrior is the opposite, it seems to de very little but it fixes everything. My G4 would have gone out of the window several times by now, but Disc Warrior has always managed to save the day. Get it, it's what the service engineers use when you take your Nac to be fixed.
Cheers,
Colin.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wonder if the poster actually waited a year for that. :-)

In reply to: disc utilities

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.