Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

diskpart has maybe ruined my external hd ?

by fourfish / May 30, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

hi there,i was trying to make a boot drive out of my external hard drive i was following instructions from a utube clip but the utube clip was of diskpart v.6 windows 7 (mine is diskpart v.5 xp pro 32 bit) i reached the part where i should format then it all went wrong, now my pc can`t see it has an hard drive and there is no drive letter,but it is still recognized has a usb mass storage device,but i can`t access it,has anybody any ideas how to get it back up and running again.the external hard drive is a freecom classic sl 80 gig. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: diskpart has maybe ruined my external hd ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: diskpart has maybe ruined my external hd ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
diskpart
by callmark1 / May 30, 2010 10:41 AM PDT

Not sure why you would want to make a boot drive out of an external hdd. Not sure that it is even possible for mere mortals.

But at this point the big question is whether or not you had any data on the freecom that was important to you. If so, and if you are perhaps not too savvy with this sort of thing, you may want to take the external hdd to a reputable computer shop to see if any of the data can be salvaged rather than trying to recover any data yourself.

If there was no important data on the external hdd to speak of, just go back through the steps to try to make the external hdd usable again as a storage device ONLY-- as it was intended. Also, use the software documentation instead of utube.

Chances are that you inadvertently checked off a box to make the drive "invisible". Either that or the OS on the primary drive is protecting itself by not looking directly at the Medusa you have created lest it be turned to stone. LOL

Messing with partitions can be a useful tool and is not impossibly difficult. But it takes meticulous, step-by-step planning and extreme caution. Know exactly what you want to accomplish before you start.

Of course, before you make such profound changes to the partition and/or file structure on either drive, back up your important programs and data.

Collapse -
Not sure why you would want to make a boot drive
by fourfish / May 30, 2010 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: diskpart

thanks for your reply ,i was attempting to boot with a different os on a laptop which has a broke cd drive ,i had no data on the hd so thats ok ,originally i attempted this with a usb stick but xp`s diskpart could not see the usb stick. this is the clip i watched seems quite straight forward but like i said it all went wrong when i tried the format. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xlSjTyCaQ

Collapse -
Don't panic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 8:58 PM PDT

Your post has me thinking that you are looking for this drive in Explorer. Don't panic. During some steps the drive SHOULD vanish from Explorer but may be seen in Device Manager and should be seen in the Disk Management tool.

I have no reason to use diskpart for this task.

But here's the problem. I can't tell what OS you want to install on USB. We know there is no support to run Windows (any version) from USB so it must be linux. NOW THAT IS SUPPORTED so that is EASY EASY EASY.

On a working machine, connect up the USB hard drive and boot the UBUNTU CD. You can unplug the Windows hard drive to avoid and block writing to that JUST IN CASE.

Now boot the Ubuntu CD and. Well what happens next is widely documented so I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
don`t think you understand
by fourfish / May 30, 2010 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't panic.

hi thanks again for the replys,i don`t know if you fully understand what i am talking about here. all i was trying to do was transfer a windows xp boot disk data on to a usb stick, so that i could load windows xp onto a laptop which has no cd drive . but the data would not go to the usb stick and so alternativly i attempted to put the data on to an external hard drive which i would then have loaded win xp on to the laptop.i was not attempting to run the os from the external HD. but as i`ve said while i was preparing the external hard drive in xp`s diskpart it went wrong at the format stage, and now my pc will not recognize my external HD,all i want to do now is fix my external HD and restore it back to what it was ,if thats possible .i don`t fully understand what the UBUNTU cd is for.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 11:46 PM PDT

And I can't tell from your top post that's what the goal was.

Next time just lead with what you are trying to get done rather than something about a vanished drive.

"all i was trying to do was transfer a windows xp boot disk data on to a usb stick, so that i could load windows xp onto a laptop which has no cd drive ."

Ahh the old "Install Windows XP from some USB drive" discussion. Sorry but as that's been done before I would not be adding anything new here. But let me part with this. I found it to be too much trouble and why I added an USB DVDRW drive to my rescue bag.

Why you don't understand UBUNTU and such is easy to explain. It does not apply to the problem you are now trying to solve.
Bob

Collapse -
repair external HD
by fourfish / May 31, 2010 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

sorry bob if i my english isn`t that good and was a bit misleading ,all i am trying to do is repair the external HD.

Collapse -
You can do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: repair external HD

Most likely with the standard XP Disk Management console. Try that first and if that fails, then learn what I use. I use GPARTED when the standard control panels won't do.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by fourfish / May 31, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: You can do that.

cheers bob i`ll give that a go

Collapse -
Disk Management
by fourfish / May 31, 2010 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: You can do that.

thanks again Bob that sorted it out, i formated it and gave it a drive letter, simples .time to go break something else now.

Collapse -
Count this as that rare time when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Management

A "Management came through for us." moment.

Have fun!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?