Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Diskeeper 10, trial version, has replaced XP utility?!

by dan24-20967362714300438669173393145556 / January 6, 2006 10:15 PM PST

I downloaded a trial version of Diskeeper 10. Ran it once.

Somehow, it has replaced the Disk Defragmenter that is packaged with my OS, Windows XP Home Edition!

How do I restore the original utility? Or, does the original utility reappear when the trial version is uninstalled?

(Curiously, the shortcut in the toolbar is for the Windows' Disk Defragmenter, but when you click on it, Diskeeper loads.)

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Diskeeper 10, trial version, has replaced XP utility?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Diskeeper 10, trial version, has replaced XP utility?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Company
by eddie11013 / January 6, 2006 11:00 PM PST

From what I have seen before, Diskeeper is the same company, Executive something, that XP defrag is based on. Thats why Diskeeper takes over. If and when you uninstall Diskeeper you will get your win XP defrag back. I used to have the DiskeeperLite, which was for free, but since I didn't see any gain, I got rid of it and now just use win XP defrag.
Eddie

Collapse -
thanks; boot-time defrag?
by dan24-20967362714300438669173393145556 / January 7, 2006 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: Same Company

Thanks for the reassurance.

Did you do the boot-time defragmentation? As I read the Help/Overview, it sounds unnecessary for XP and more complicated than worthwhile.

Collapse -
Short answer, NO.
by eddie11013 / January 7, 2006 10:46 PM PST

Since you only need to do a defrag every once in a while, I just click on defrag, let it do its thing, takes maybe just a few minutes, 60 Gig hard drive and I'm done with it. Since I have CCleaner setup to run on startup, this keeps my temp and recycle stuff at a min and or clean for whenever I do run defrag.
Good Luck
Eddie

Collapse -
CCleaner & MRU Blaster
by dan24-20967362714300438669173393145556 / January 8, 2006 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Short answer, NO.

I use CCleaner, also, and MRU Blaster.

Thanks.

Collapse -
RE: Diskeeper 10
by caktus / January 8, 2006 1:57 PM PST

Only one Disc defragmentor can be operational at one time. To return to the Windows Disc Defragmenter you must uninstall Diskeeper.

However, Diskeeper is much better than the Windows Disc Defragmenter since it defrags the Paging\vitual memory file and can configure the Master File Table or Paging file, do Boot Defrag, + other options, and can defrag much faster. And contrary to popular beleif it is a good idea to Defrag regularly.

If you don't mind spending the money it can be a very worthwhile investment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!