General discussion

Disk space missing

I'm afraid this is a very basic question (but then, the answer should be simple, too...)

My PowerBook has an 80 Gb disk, and in the bottom of Finder windows, it says that I've got around 3 Gb space left on the disk. That's of course a problem for many reasons, and probably also a reason why my beloved (old) Mac is terribly slow now.
BUT, when I, in order to clean up, turns on "Calculate all sizes" in the Finders View Options, the total number of Gb's used, according to the folder sizes, should be nothing close to 50 Gb, so there should be plenty of space left, even if an 80 Gb disk would never really be 80 Gb.

One of my guesses is "hidden files". But how do I "unhide" them?

A related thing is that I have several users on my Mac (private, work, guest, kids...) I administrate all of them, but is there an easy way to get an overview of how much disk space they use, all at once? In the actual Finder window, several of them are 24 KB, which doesn't reflect the actual disk use.

=)
Ole

12" PowerBook (G4)
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Disk space missing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Disk space missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You can't

You can't "unhide" some of the folders, and those are typically the folders that make up the Unix core of OS X. You can see them using something like Terminal.app if you know how to use the Unix commands.

I would say 30GB is a bit excessive for that, but there are other things that might be contributing. Like the package receipts for programs that come in .pkg files. Sometimes you can install programs that come in .pkg files and forget you even installed them, because they don't always show up in /Applications.

If you really want to find out where all the space is, you'll need to find some other program than Finder. It is permanently blinded to the parallel Unix directory tree. You can get it to show those directories if you explicitly tell it to go to one of them, but that's all the more you're ever going to get. Start looking for third party programs.

- Collapse -
Embarrassing...

Thanks Jimmy. But... By the time you answered, I had gotten the bright idea of actually checking the content of the other users, "from inside" the user. One of them contained most of the missing gigabytes. Sorry for bothering you. It must be a discretion-thing, that Finder won't show the real size of the other users. Even if I thing an administrator should be allowed to se it.
Anyway. Problem solved.
(The next thing is that my Mac is still slow, even with enough disk space available, so I'll have to decide if I should get more memory for my beloved old Mac, or let it go...)

- Collapse -
How much Memory (RAM) does it

currently have?

RAM is cheap enough to max it out.

Amount depends on MacBook vintage

P

- Collapse -
1.25 Gb

Built-in 256 Mb, and additional 1Gb
AND... I just realized, in AppleSpecs, that this model supports a max of... 1.25 Gb.
So I'll just have to learn patience, I guess. And have a chat with my banker...

=)
Ole

CNET Forums