Computer Help forum

General discussion

Disk Space

by balmain / October 19, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

Windows XP Home. 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4. 80.05 Gigabytes.
G'day
I recently defragmented & found it had 25 Gigabytes of fragmented files in my daughters temp files. My daughter downloads a lot of music & as she had already transfered them to her Ipod I asked her to delete the files.
She did this & I used disk cleanup to get rid of any temp files. Using Defragmenter again the same situation is still there.
Anything else I can do to get the 25 Gigs back or to get rid of the defragmented files?
Bob Phillips

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk Space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk Space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remove Them Manually...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Space

Generally, Disk Defragmenter doesn't tell you exactly where the fragmented files are.. Still, you haven't told us where those "Temp" files are.. Check both normal locations for Temp files.. The "C\Windows\Temp" folder and the "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temp" folder are both locations where such files can be placed. You can manually visit those folders and delete them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disk space
by balmain / October 19, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

Thanks will try these
Bob

Collapse -
Disk Space
by balmain / October 20, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

Went to Search.
Typed in C:\Documents and Settings\Melinda Phillips\Local Settings\Temp
There was nothing of any size ln Temp.
Yet when I defragment it says there are 9,455 files fragmented (red) & 21.88 Gb of disk space
Any help appreciated in resolving this problem
Bob Phillips

Collapse -
And Did You Check??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 2:19 AM PDT

....in the C:\Windows\Temp folder..? That also is a frequently place for such files. Did you also check there?

Yes, fragmented files show up as "red" on Disc Defragmenter.. The fragmented files can be any type of file.. Why do you think they're "Temp" files..

And if they are .tmp files, have you done a search for *.tmp and deleted them all?

You still haven't given us much information to go on here..

"There was nothing of any size in "Temp".. Have you checked ALL of the user profiles on the computer to verify that ALL files have been cleared in the "Temp" folders?.

In addition, which Defragmenter are you using? The standard Windows Disc Defragmenter doesn't tell you they are "Temp" files or exactly how much space is taken by the fragmented files.. Where are you getting such information? If the "Temp" files listing is in the Disc Cleanup display, then those "Temp" files will be in one of the locations listed previously although they could be in ANY user's profile.. Likewise, you didn't say you had checked in the C:\Windows\Temp folder.. That also is a frequently place for such files. Did you also check there.

How big is the hard drive? You might be referrring to System Restore files which are created by the System Restore utility but you haven't told us the specifics yet.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
DiskSpace
by balmain / October 21, 2008 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: And Did You Check??

G'day Grif
trying everything you've suggested. Have 80.4 Gigs of hard disk.
Using Windows Defragmenter & when it finishes I view report & it states: 9455 fragmented files, 21.83gigs (free space 30.gigs).Fragmented files are\Documents and Settings\Melinda Phillips\local Settings\Temp.
When I go to search & click music & type in \Documents and Settings\Melinda Phillips\local Settings\Temp. it only shows Temp files, with not much disk space used
Have also tried searching Documents with the same results
Bob

Collapse -
Ah, That Explains It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: DiskSpace

Your interpretation isn't quite correct. Here is an example of the Windows Disk Defragmentor reports AFTER running defrag on one of my work PC's.:

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 149 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 28.38 GB
Free space = 121 GB
Percent free space = 80 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 58,475
Average file size = 651 KB
Total fragmented files = 0
Total excess fragments = 0
Average fragments per file = 0.99

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.50 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 5,913
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 76 MB
MFT record count = 64,933
Percent MFT in use = 83 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Since your statements make it appear as if you have NOT cleaned out the Temp folder as requested, (you've stated "it only shows Temp files, with not much disk space used"), then there are a few files in the "Temp" folder that have not been defragmented, probably because those files are being used by some other program OR you've not interpreted the log correctly.. (Make sure you have Windows Explorer set to "Show All Hidden and System Files" or you may miss some.) Next, I don't think you have 21.83 gigs of fragmented files but instead have 21.83 GB of "USED SPACE" similar to the report above..

And IF you've got "Files that cannot be defragmented" and they reside in the C:\Documents and Settings\Melinda Phillips\local Settings\Temp folder, then you need to clean out ALL files from that folder, as I've asked before, and try again.. Once again, make sure Windows Explorer is set to "Show All Hidden and System Files" before doing so.

Now, if you could post the EXACT report as I have done above, we might be able to be exact in our answer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disk Space
by balmain / October 21, 2008 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Ah, That Explains It..

G'day Grif
Disc Defragmenter

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 74.55 GB
Cluster size = 4KB
Used space = 46.69 GB
Free Space = 27.87GB
Percent free space = 37%

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 23%
File fragmentation = 46%
Free space fragmentation = 0%

File fragmentation
Total files = 184,185
Adverage file size = 401 Kb
Total files = 2
Total excess fragments = 9,852
Adverage fragments per file = 1.05

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 672 MB
Totals fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 8,678
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master file table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 215 MB
MFT record count = 194,083
Percent MFT in use = 88%
Total MFT fragments = 3

----------------------------------------
Fragments File size Files that cannot be defragmented
9,455 21.83 GB \Documents & settings\Melinda Phillips\Local Settings\Temporary Inter

Hope this helps
Bob

Collapse -
That's the TIF
by Kees Bakker / October 21, 2008 5:10 PM PDT

Temporary Internet Files.
Those generally are very small, and it's strange they can't be defragmented.

I'd start with Tools>Internet Options>General in IE (or Internet options in Control Panel, that's the same) to clear the temporary internet files.

Also strange: that size of 21.83 Gb. The limit is set in the settings (button next to the clear button above) and mine is set to 512 Mb. It's remarkable yours is more than 21,000 Mb. Lower the maximum.

If your disk space hasn't increased with 21 Gb by clearing the TIF, go into Windows Explorer, find the folder Documents & settings\Melinda Phillips\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. In that folder or in one of the subfolders should be one or more gigantic files (from the message it's 1 file of 21.83 Gb). Use the detail view of Windows Explorer to find them and try to delete it (or them) manually from there.

Post your findings please.

Kees

Collapse -
Yep, NOT A Temp Folder But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

....the "Temporarary Internet Files" folder. (Posting this information at the begginning of this post would sure have made this discussion shorter.) Try using the steps Kees listed, using the "Internet Options" to clean out all Cookies and Temporary Internet Files.. If it won't clean out from "normal" Windows, then restart the computer into Safe Mode and see if you can remove those files using Internet Options or by manually removing the files..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

And I'm just guessing but it sounds like you may have your "Temporary Internet Files" "space to use" size way too large.. Reduce the amount of space that TIF files can use by opening "Internet Options, select the "General" tab, then click on the Temporary Internet Files/Browsing History "Settings" button to change the "disc space to use" to about 20 MB, NOT GB but MB.. I'm guessing you have the setting extremely large.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disk Space
by balmain / October 22, 2008 5:57 AM PDT

G'day Grif & Kees
Great.Did all that will look at defragmenter again & post results.
Really appreciate the support
Bob

Collapse -
Trouble finding files
by balmain / October 22, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

G?day Grif & Kees
But when I try to find folder: Documents and Settings\Melinda Phillips\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Get a message no such files exist even when I click on ?look for hidden files?

Collapse -
You're Not Showing Hidden And System Files..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2008 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Trouble finding files

Here's how to do that so you can check again.. RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore" from the little menu.. Now click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options", then select the "View" tab. When that opens, in the "Advanced Settings" space, place a dot/tick in the "Show hidden files and folders" and UNCHECK the box next to "Hide protected operating system files", then choose "Yes/Ok", when it asks "Are you sure?", then click on Apply, then OK to exit out..

Since Windows Explorer should still be open, look on the left side of the Window and you should now be able to follow the path to the C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder..

As mentioned before, be sure to delete all the files by using the "Internet Options" panel first.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disk Space
by balmain / October 22, 2008 10:28 AM PDT

Grif
In the Temporary Internet Files
There is AntiPhishing, Content .IE5
Would I Delete all in Content IE5?
When I went to properties the file size was 24.7 GB & do I just delete these singularly or delete the folders eg 5Z7PVDVK 8D2H09SH etc

Collapse -
Yes, Delete All Files Inside The 'Content.IE5' Folder But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

...DON'T delete the folder itself.. Just all the files and folders inside. As I stated earlier, you should be able to delete all those files by using the Internet Option/General tab but either way gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disk Space
by balmain / October 23, 2008 3:25 PM PDT

To Grif & Kees Many Thanks. After deleting all the accumulated files, went to defragmenter & now have 73% disk space Again thank you
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Glad We Could Help!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 5:27 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!