Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disk scan in XP

by grandpaw7 / September 14, 2004 10:30 AM PDT

I really feel like I'm losing it. It seems like it's very unusual for me to find instructions about computers that made sense to me.

I want to scsan my MS Works CD to see if the scan can detect anything wrong with it because when I install it it doesn't work. So, I go to XP support, type in Disk repair and get the instructions. They say to open My Computer, and go to the local disk you want, in my case D. Then, click File and then Properties; then, click Tools, which makes the Properties box disappear; then in the Tools menu go to Error-checking, which there ain't one on my computer, then Scan for and Attempt Recovry of Bad Sectors, which I don't know where the devil it is.

What in the world am I doing wrong? grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk scan in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk scan in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grandpaw, you need to take a rest. ;)
by glenn30 / September 14, 2004 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk scan in XP
Collapse -
That's the best news I've heard all day; no, all week
by grandpaw7 / September 14, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

I believe I'll do that. grandpaw

Collapse -
To scan a CD in XP... You need a tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2004 11:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Disk scan in XP/typcially
by Steven Haninger / September 14, 2004 11:38 AM PDT

A faulty disk a problem with the reading device will cause an error during the installation process. One common error might refer to "cyclic redundancy" which is a measure of the integrity of the files on the disk. Also, such files are often compressed and do not carry the names or extensions presented in the installation. The point is, your file integrity checker in the OS will not help you with installation media. If you want to post more about the specific problem, you might get better help. You said that when you install MS works, it doesn't work. But, do you mean the installation process does not work or the program does not work after installation. If the later is true, I would look elsewhere first and at the source media much later.

Collapse -
Re: Disk scan in XP
by John Robie / September 14, 2004 11:56 AM PDT

Hmmm....if other CD's can install programs/games with your CD-ROM, then perhaps the Works CD may not work because MS Works may already be installed (did I say work(s) enough in this sentence ;-)). You purchased a new PC, I know on purchasing several PC's over the past few years they came with MS Works already installed and the factory just threw in the MS Works CD as a back up for reformat.
Check Programs to see.

Collapse -
by Joan / September 14, 2004 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Disk scan in XP

I just bought a new computer and it had an icon for disk cleanup. It simply did not work. Inadvertantly I clicked "Learn XP" and in there was a maintenance section which had a disk cleanup. Keep snooping around Grandpaw. You will find all kinds of goodies.
JK

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 14, 2004 8:38 PM PDT

Check your program list. Most, if not all, new computers come with programs like MS Works factory installed. You shouldn't have to install it yourself. If you find it isn't already installed, you will need the CD and the product key number. Without that key number, the program will not install or run. It should be located on the box of CDs that came with your new Dell.

Collapse -
Did I ever tell you about the guy
by grandpaw7 / September 15, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

who didn't know that Works was already installed on his machine? I would tell you about him now, but it's time for me to crawl back into my hole. grandpaw

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / September 15, 2004 1:36 AM PDT
They say to open My Computer, and go to the local disk you want, in my case D. Then, click File and then Properties; then, click Tools, which makes the Properties box disappear; then in the Tools menu go to Error-checking, which there ain't one on my computer, then Scan for and Attempt Recovry of Bad Sectors, which I don't know where the devil it is.

Reading your message my assumption is that your drive D: is actually a CD drive of some sort supposedly with the CD in it, such as Works. You shouldn't however need to or be able to check a CD this way for . . . -- only resident drives.

1. Chkdsk.exe is the command-line interface which verifies the logical integrity of a file system, [Q314835].

When running CHKDSK and logical inconsistencies are encountered in file system data, it performs repair actions (assuming that the data is not in read-only mode).

When running it online, the code that actually performs the verification resides in utility DLLs (Untfs.dll and Ufat.dll). The verification routines that it invokes are the same routines that run when a volume is verified through the Windows Explorer or the Disk Management Graphical User Interface.

If an error is encountered which causes a system to shutdown prematurely, CHKDSK is scheduled during the next boot and calls Autochk.exe which is run early in the startup sequence, runs without the benefit of virtual memory use, and is run when CHKDSK is used on the boot volume. CHKDSK cannot dismount the boot volume so it offers the option to run the repair process by using Autochk when the computer is restarted, [Q831426].

Note: Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows media CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe, [Q307654]. Also note, CHKDSK can be initiated using the Recovery Console.

a. Chkdsk without parameters - it runs in read-only mode, examines a disk and then reports whether it found any file system errors but does not repair anything.

b. Chkdsk with parameters - parameters /f or /r errors are repairs relating to the file system structure.

Note: When it is run with parameters on a volume other than the boot volume, the volume must be locked for exclusive use before repairs can be made. Be prepared for a long wait since it does not have a cancel option though you can specify options to reduce the time necessary. It must complete before anything else can be done.

c. In addition to using the command-line version of CHKDSK, it can be run from My Computer/Explorer but the graphical version offers the read-only mode equivalent where CHKDSK will run to completion only if no significant corruption exist and no correction is made, [Q315265]. And for your information and for what it is worth, be aware of the contents of this article even though it does not mention WinXP, "Err Msg: CHKDSK Detected Minor Inconsistencies on the Drive... (Q109524)."

d. Supplemental reading:

(1) "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Computer After Upgrade to Windows XP (Q316506)."

(2) "Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted (Q315403)."

2. For correct verification, a volume must be static, and the only way to guarantee a static state is to lock the volume. CHKDSK locks the volume only if you specify the /F switch (or the /R switch, which implies /F), [User Action].

3. FYI and FWIW, please refer to this forum thread concerning the use of "ZoneAlarm" and the possible conflict with Chkdsk.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!