General discussion

Disk Partition Issue !!!!!!!!!

Recently I have purchased a New Sony Laptop with pre installed Windows 7 Home Basic Edition.
It had as HDD of 320 GB Capacity which was completely alloted (Excluding Service Partition (Inaccesible)) to Drive C.
I want to have multiple partition for different workes to be one for eg.
1. Drive C (50 GB) for OS & Other Installation
2. Drive D (100 GB) for my Important files and documents
3. Drive E (50 GB) for my brother and his files
4. Drive F (Rest of the space available) for Music & Video Files
How can I achive this and what are the difficulties in it
To be added here I prefer to do so becaues in past i had experience on my IBM PC that in case of OS failier the Drive C gets formated and the entire data may get lost so I added a new HDD to it to save my data for any activity of getting formatted and in case of Laptop it is not possible due to weight and space limitation.
Hope you all here understand my problem
Thanks in advance for any kind of help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Disk Partition Issue !!!!!!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Disk Partition Issue !!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Personally I wouldn't.

I can understand your reasoning but I wouldn't partition the C drive for storage purposes. if you want to 'dual boot', then it makes sense.

The problem is this. If that hard disk fails then you have lost everything. It is imperative that you backup, backup, and backup again.

An example of my own recent experience: My 2nd internal hard drive failed the other day. It was a backup disk but it just stopped working. Thankfully I still have the originals and another backup of those files, so I didn't lose much.

I cannot imagine how I would have felt if I had no backups and my C drive failed completely.

So, you may be right that if the OS fails you might be able to reinstall the OS on the smaller C partition. But the bigger risk is hard drive failure, and to my mind that negates any reason for partitioning a hard drive. Instead, simply use folders to keep those files separate.

Mark

- Collapse -
re-partitioning

You should already have made the optical recovery media (recovery dvds), after which backup regularly as already said. Otherwise, it's NOT a good idea to start messing about with partitions.

Whether re-partitioning would "preserve" pre-exisitng data not in "C" depends how the recovery process works on Sonys ........ it might not!

If you really want to mess about - then, first, use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to create an image of the recovery partition (that'll be the smallest one).

Then, there's various partition managers that can re-partition the hard disk, but it's not advisable. In any case, leave the recovery partition intact!

A good way to back up files is use an external USB plug in hard drive! If your computer then crashes, and you have to re-install Windows via system recovery media, all your files will still be on the external hard disk.

- Collapse -
WAG here...

Laptops have a hard enough time just working with the current partitioning or std. setup. While, you can do what you want, IMHO you're pushing it. I would suggest your brother get his own ext. HD in order to access his files as a separate HD, the same for your important files as well. Though, that seems extra, its worth the effort. Of course, you partition and then use ext. HDs as well as a back-up. PLUS, since you want to have video&music files, these alone could easily fill a HD once you get them. I also, find because if you use as a music&video source, you're really using the laptop and thus likely something could happen from wear&tear of usage to include any malware that can hose the system. The choice is yours, but the above advice makes sense as I see it.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info