Storage forum

General discussion

Disk partition

by dominican4114 / January 22, 2005 1:27 AM PST

i was wondering what does the disk partition do? I have seen where people set up a small place and install Windows in there. when i installed WinXP on this PC i just installed it on the whole disk. Does that affect my pc in anyway? Also if i want to add a new harddrive do i need to do anything like disk partition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
having no partition shouldent effect your pc
by EternalDarkness / January 22, 2005 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Disk partition

Some people partition their harddrives for servers or when they need to run more then 1 operating system

If you wanted to you could make a partition for xp and another partition for windows 98 or linux and switch off between them.

Collapse -
also
by skippyd333 / January 22, 2005 4:00 PM PST

you could make a non operating system partition to use for storage space. you could store files you don't want to lose in case you need to reformat your operating system. A partition is a wall on the drive and when you format one partition it won't effect the other side.

Collapse -
Disk Partition
by Rosita / January 27, 2005 9:08 PM PST

Today's large disks are anticipating future usage for larger operating systems, additional software and storage of music, pictures and video.
Partitions simplify the management of differeng groups of data and, except for drive failures, enable the formating of one partition without harming the other ones.
Think of a large drive as a space like a hotel's large ballroom that can be partitioned to accomodate more than one smaller gathering.
There are some excellent software packages that will partition and expand or contract space easily. Personally I use Partition Magic from Power Quest.

Adding a second drive does not affect the partitions of your Master Drive and you can partition it also.

Collapse -
Re Partition Magic
by GBTrevor / January 28, 2005 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Partition

Personally I avoid partitioning software as from experience I find these can cause loss of data when the drive plays up, often the extra partition(s) cannot be seen and data is then harder to recover.
This takes up my time and increases the recovery costs to clients.

Collapse -
Many partitions make for can't find it problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 9:26 PM PST

Partitions complicate and perplex the management of data and do NOT enable the formating of one partition without harming the other ones. The evidence exists in these forums where some owner took this advice and their other partitions VANISHED when they formatted a partition.

This is bad advice. Nothing about partitions "saves your data".

Bob

Collapse -
yes - partition
by nigelben / January 28, 2005 12:33 AM PST

as someone who 'plays' with his PC and doesn't always know what I'm doing, life has been much simpler since I partitioned my disc. All my data - word, e-mails, internet favourites (favorites) etc is on one partition and the operating system and programs are on the other. When all goes wrong I have to reformat the program partition and re-install Wndows. It has never affected my data. Re-loading all the programs is bad enough without worrying about where my data went. I will always recommend partitioning a primary disc.

Collapse -
No extra partitions for the office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: yes - partition

We deal with some 200 plus machines and the problems that people bring us on the service desk with "missing my data partition" has me writing that if you rely on this for backup... You'll learn a bitter lesson someday.

Bob

Collapse -
Partitions do work
by nschaefer308 / January 28, 2005 1:31 AM PST

I have worked in the IT field for a relatively short period of time, 8 years. I ALWAYS create partitions.
There are multiple reasons to create a partition:
Easier to maintain disk health. Try defragging a 120GB drive as compared to a 20GB partition...
Loading the OS on a 20GB partition has been more than enough space for growth as you install more programs. I have 480GB plus on my main system running RAID. 20GB for C:, ~153GB each partition afterward.
If the OS gets corrupted you simply install the OS to the C: and REFORMAT the C:. You do not remove any partitions. Reload your programs and reaccess the saved files on the other partitions.
After performing this over 200 times I have never had a problem.
If loading WXP don't load SP1 but go ahead and install SP2 immediately. Disable the firewall while installing your other programs and then reenable the firewall. This has worked very nicely for me.

Collapse -
More than 20 years here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Partitions do work

This method/issue is highly over-heated.

Those that don't backup... pay dearly later.

Bob

Collapse -
True enough Bob
by nschaefer308 / January 28, 2005 1:38 AM PST

but most people do not have dvd burners let alone cd burners to 'backup' their large files - Outlook pst files, video, and or music. You still run the risk of losing everything if the hard drive goes bad but in the day when a 1.2GB drive was considered large I had a small OS partition for my client's systems and an equal size 'file' partition. My clients were always loading something on their system that would corrupt it but I had a disk image that I could throw on it and have them back up in 20 minutes with a clean build.
No idea is perfect but this has definitely worked for me.

Collapse -
partitions disappearing
by GBTrevor / January 28, 2005 2:42 AM PST

Sounds like a typical case I was referring to in a previous post, using something like Partition Magic can give problems further down the line, like trying to re-adjust partions without using the same utility.

Also remember that it may be months or years before you need to do anything to the drive again, will you remember what you had previously done or used?

Collapse -
It is always good to have a small secondary partition
by samuelgarcia87 / January 28, 2005 1:49 AM PST

As I say in my subject title, it is good to have a small secondary partition. For example, if you have a really large amount of personal files (eg: photos, videos, etc.) and aren't bothered to make constant backup copies of all these on CD's because of the time it takes to do so, you can store them on the secondary partition. It is really useful because if some day your system crashes and you aren't able to start windows again, you simply reformat the main partition, reinstall windows (or any other OS you're using) and that's it. Your files are kept as they were just before the crash.

PS: If a virus caused the crash, maybe your files have been deleted anyway no matter in which partition they are so it is also REALLY useful to make regular backups on CD's.

Sam

Collapse -
...and
by GBTrevor / January 28, 2005 2:45 AM PST

....if the HD fails you lose the lot (all partitions) anyway.
Always best to back up to another separate drive. Minimises risk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.