Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disk management not showing any HD partitions

This is my wife's Lenovo T61 and I've posted this in the laptop forums. While attempting to prep for a larger hard drive, I noticed that Disk management isn't showing any HD partitions. It does show the CD ROM device. It will not display USB external hard drive partitions but will display USB CD ROM devices. Device manager and explorer will display hard drives/partitions just fine. At this same time, I found that a scheduled chkdsk /f will not run. The PC just boots normally. Defrag will not run either. I was able to run sfc /scannow plus the Lenovo "disk doctor" utility and nothing is reported to be amiss. Another broken item was system restore. It was enabled but no restore points were available. I was able to fix that by disabling and re-enabling system restore. I've set startup services to default but no luck yet. No malware detected either. The laptop appears to be running normally with the exception of an occasional shutdown problem. The laptop has a Seagate SATA 1 100 gig drive and 2 gigs of RAM, if that helps. Google searches have come up dry for a cure so far. Thoughts or tips appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk management not showing any HD partitions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk management not showing any HD partitions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing one I fixed last week with exact same symptoms

In reply to: Disk management not showing any HD partitions

The owner was a tinkerer. The first thing I did was to visit http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm and put all the services back to their defaults. All the drives popped back into view.

Now there is another issue if they ran a registry cleaner which require registering DLLs but I've seen your posts and you wouldn't run such from what I can tell.
Bob

Collapse -
No registry cleaner and services had already been

set to defaults as mentioned in first post but will go through them one by one. It's my wife's laptop and she's not inclined to even peek under the hood. I do the maintenance and full system backups but my tinkering is limited to deciding which startup items are absolutely necessary. The mentioned processes had been working but I can't say how long ago since I've run the chkdsk variations. There have been some slow startup/shutdown issues. I'd have to admit that, between what Lenovo wants to load and what my wife installs, the system tray would take up 2 or three rows at the bottom if not kept under control. Happy

Collapse -
That comment about the system tray.

In reply to: No registry cleaner and services had already been

Try it in safe mode then if that fails look for any cd or dvd emulators and toss those out. Retest and then toss out any Nero InCD, Roxio DirectCD or similar, retest and finally toos out the usual upper and lowerfilter entries you find with cd/dvd media as a drive letter entries and reboot, retest safe mode.

That's about all I've ever had to do save re-register dlls. Here's a note on that -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831430

Collapse -
Already been done before I came here

In reply to: That comment about the system tray.

Neither chkdsk /f, defrag or disk management work in safe or normal mode. None of the mentioned suspects are installed on the laptop. I've been all over google and have found dozens with the same or similar issues and tried everything within reason before posting here. I may be left with a repair installation but there's no XP full installation boot disk for this one. All I've got is the PID code and what I've burned to DVD. My wife may need to live with it. It's nothing she'd even notice unless the problem escalated into something worse. She's a school tech coordinator and uses the laptop to connect to a variety of teaching and multimedia devices, "smart" boards etc., ...some of which require software that runs services and loads up the system tray. Most of these will launch manually on demand anyway. I believe this is what's causing her occasional shutdown problems where she holds down the power button as a last resort. The thing is bilingual too....speaks Chinese and English. While loading a new Nvidia driver yesterday, installation suddenly changed to Chinese characters. Trying to figure out which button to click on...or how to back out...was a fun time. Happy

Collapse -
Looks to be dead.

In reply to: Already been done before I came here

When I can't run chkdsk then I know that something horrible has occurred.
Bob

Collapse -
I see the t61 can have

"Security Chip on selected models"

This security system could extend to protect hard drives from vanishing as well as access. We don't use these in our office because of the highly proprietary nature of such and how costly it is if we missed a backup and had to recover a drive.

I'm beginning to think either something has gone sour or it's just their security system.
Bob

Collapse -
That security chip came inactive by default

In reply to: I see the t61 can have

and I disabled it altogether after reading some horror stories about BIOS upgrades gone sour if the chip was enabled and a boot password had been set. There are reset instructions that require creating some sort of disk in advance of monkeying around with it but most will probably find out when they've already experienced the worst. One BIOS requirement I'd forgotten about when trying to run the recovery console from an XP boot disk was the need to change from SATA enhanced mode to PATA compatibility. I was able to run the chkdsk utility from there but nothing was noted. By then, I'd already cloned the 100 gig to a 250 so the old disk is sitting aside for insurance purposes. I'm less concerned about the few utilities that I've found not working than those I've not yet found. It's not my laptop and it won't bite me...but it's owner just might. Happy

Collapse -
Fixed...at least most of it.

I remembered making full image of the drive less than 3 weeks ago. I restored that image on to the larger drive I was going to use as an upgrade and discovered that disk management was working. System restore works and so does defrag. I was able to fix the "command" issue (virtual device driver error) with a simple registry edit. Chkdsk /f is still on the fritz but not a big deal since it will run from the recovery console. Whatever has happened has mostly done so within the last 3 weeks. I've copied the documents and other data from the old to the new drive. Thank goodness for some sort of backup/restore means.

Collapse -
Disk management not showing any HD partitions - Solution

Your problem probably is a rootkit virus. I just suffered through the same problem and searched everywhere for a solution. My symptoms were that device manager and explorer displayed the drives, but disk management was a complete blank for all drives (including cd roms). Chkdsk and defrag couldn't recognize any drives and system restore was not functional. Couldn't burn cds or dvds because no program could find a device to use; although, I could read cds and dvds, and the dvd drive displayed in the device manager, but I couldn't write to the device.

I tried several rootkit detectors, and the only one that found and eradicated the hidden files and registry entries was McAfee Rootkit Detective Version 1.1, which is a free beta release. It found the hidden files and registry entries in the first pass (about 10 minutes) and allowed me to rename the hidden files and remove the hidden registry entries (which by name were obviously associated with the hidden files -- all of which were named "higrui*.*" where the "*" was variable).

That resolved the problem, restored the visibility of my drives and partitions in disk management, restored functionality to checkdsk and defrag, and restored full access to my dvd drive. Go to the McAfee site and download the free and fully functional "Rootkit Detective" (you might have to search for it on the site, but it's there).

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!!!

In reply to: Disk management not showing any HD partitions - Solution

Dude..... thank you.

I joined the forums just to express my thanks to you. I don't know how this crap got on my machine, but your solution was awesome. I had the exact same problem.

We need more people like you in the world.
- your good in my books

Collapse -
Thank You!

In reply to: THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thanks for your note -- much appreciated!

I worked 4 days to hunt the ****** down and was about to give up when I found the McAfee program. I noticed a fair number of posts with the same symptoms, but nobody had a clue about the cause. So, I just wanted to spare somebody else the pain I went through. Although, I'd like to inflict a lot of pain on the miscreant who wrote the virus.

Collapse -
Allow me to add my thanks!

I was having the exact same issues you described on a post-virus laptop. I was going nutz trying to figure this one out and had finally settled on rebuilding because I was out of ideas and none of the forums I've tried seemed to have any solutions. You saved me a lot of headache and with the type of day I'm having today...I just can't thank you enough. You have no idea how many people you probably have helped today just by taking the time to post this solution. You rock out loud.

Collapse -
thanks

i also wanted to thank you. i spent all day trying to figure this out, and finally came across your post and was able to fix it. THANK YOU!

Collapse -
Thanks for the comments.

In reply to: thanks

Thanks for the nice comments. Glad someone found the post helpful.

Now, if I could just solve the "W32/Virut.gen" infection I recently acquired (the new variant that also infects html files with an iframe link to a malware site)....

As it is, I'm seriously thinking of switching to a Mac.

Collapse -
And another belated thank you.

In reply to: Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for pointing out the pests!

Collapse -
DISK MANAGEMENT NOT SHOWING ANY HD PARTITION PLEASE HELP:

In reply to: Thanks for the comments.

Disk management not showing any HD partitions
I am using windows xp operating system.& had encountered this problem
I had scan all the processes using McAfee Rootkit Detective Version 1.1 and also Rootkit Removal unhack me software http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/scan_unhackme.html
but does not find any trojan / rootkit virus.....or any hidden file
& also scanned my computer with malwarebytes(antimalware) ..but no malware was found....
also i want to mention that a few days ago being a user of online avast antivirus.......avast had scanned a trojan/rootkit virus which i then deleted from the computer....but not showing the disk partition make me feels that there may be a malware/trojan in my computer ......but i can't figured it out
whenever i go to my computer >> right click >> manage >> Storage>> Disk management..... i only see complete blank for all drives except cd rom...
please help me out .....is this problem very serious??
should i reinstall operating system...??
as i don't want to reinstall operating system ...help me out to debug this problem......
thanx in advance

Collapse -
thanks dear!!!

thanks a lot HELL dude!!!

i just joined here to say thanks to you!!!

was having this problem , dont know since when, realised when i sat down for installing a fresh w7 and there were no DRIVES!!
how cud it be...!
then searched the net and found ur solution here and on some other forum too (by you only dont remember the name)

but the major problem was getting the right rootkit remover..

Mc Afee : was not compatible for my W7 ultimate

SOPHOS : in the first run found a registry + 10-12 programs , and in the display was recommnding not to remov them...was taking 30+ mins but my PC crashed

finally fsecure's "TDSSKiller.exe" worked in 30 secs all fine...

thanks a lot!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.