Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disk free space

When I uninstall a program, I always defrag my system. I have noticed that after I uninstall the program, it seems as though the space it took up on the drive is still being used. How do I get back the free space?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk free space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk free space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Disk free space

In reply to: Disk free space

Disc cleanup.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Disk free space

i always do that and still there is the same amount of disk space as before i uninstalled. any more suggestions? please?

Collapse -

In reply to: Disk free space

Did you reboot after uninstalling ?

Collapse -

yes

Collapse -

it seems as though the space it took up on the drive is still being used.

Can you elaborate--seems as though...? How did you find out ? BTW, how did you uninstall the program ?
Collapse -

I found out when I went to defrag and the disk space was less than it was before I installed and uninstalled the programs. I uninstall by going to the control panel and clicking the add/remove buttons then I restart.

Collapse -

I found out when I went to defrag and the disk space was less than it was before I installed and uninstalled the programs. and your reply to Sovereign:i always do that and still there is the same amount of disk space as before i uninstalled.

Sorry, I am a bit confused. You mentioned that when you went to defrag, the disk space was LESS than it was BEFORE you installed and uninstalled. Isn't that what is supposed to be ? Disk space has been freed up after you uninstalled. Yet, your reply to Soverign mentioned that disk space was the same before and after uninstallation. I am just trying to help and hope you can clarify. Anyway, if your problem is that after you uninstalled the program, the space freed up is less than the space taken up by the program, then that is quite normal, if the amount is not significant. This is because when some programs are uninstalled, not all files are removed. Some debries are often left at the program folder, the root folder and the Windows folder. Some entries are also often left at the registry.
Collapse -

Ok. Let's say there is 68% free space when I install a program. I now have 67% free space left. Well when I uninstall the program, I still have 67% free space as if the program was still there. Why does it not go back to 68% ?

Collapse -
Windows always has clutter.

The registry will gain some items that didn't go away. A DLL may be left over. The list just goes on and on.

If you want a neat and tidy OS, then you don't want Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows always has clutter.

In reply to: Windows always has clutter.

You mean the space is gone forever? How do I get rid of this without causing more junk and problems than before? Does a solution exist?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Windows always has clutter.

You need a utility to clean up the HD. I have not used it before, but Norton Sytem Works may include such a utility. Some info here.

I think it would be quite tedious to remove everything related to the installation of the uninstalled program. It is possible, but would be impractical to do so.

Collapse -

The hard disk space is the same. Just the clutter grows.

On top of that, in spite of clutter reducing programs, the NTFS "MFT" will grow, but never shrink. To some this is a design flaw. But the growth is so small that I've only made it a problem in a demo box that kicked at the problem for weeks.

Again, neat and tidy is not the Windows way. Some will spend all their time trying to find every unneeded file, registry entry and more. That's fine if that's what you got this PC for. I'd rather understand that it's not tidy and use the machine.

Bob

Collapse -

Gotcha! One less grey hair. I will find something else to panic about. Have a blessed day.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.