Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Disk Error

I hope someone can help me here... I noticed that my computer was slugging a bit, so I attempted to run my anti-virus software, but none of my programs seemed to be responding long enough to complete any tasks-
Windows Defender scanned without issue, but when I attempted to restart my computer, it comes back with the black screen saying
"A disk read error has occured, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and when I do that, it just continues to cycle through the same screens, and I can't get into Windows at all.
Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to lose all my files- as I had attempted to make a back up but wasn't able to in time.

Running Acer Aspire 7720Z series laptop
Model number ICK70
Windows Vista

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Rachel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First. Try this.

In reply to: Disk Error

Turn it off. Remove AC power, then the battery. Now press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Yes if this applies to your machine it is only seconds but I found people to not follow the directions and not hold the button long enough.

Let go of the button, insert the battery pack and then the AC power. Try again.

If it fails we then think about data recovery. Here's what I do next. Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?messageID=3080838&tag=forums06;posts#3080838 where a member shared how they used another CD to gain access to and copy out their files.
Bob

Collapse -
restart

In reply to: First. Try this.

Turned it off, removed ac power and battery- held down button for one minute, then plugged battery and ac power back in, turned on- still "A disk read error occured" It didn't make any sound, no whirring to start up, nothing. *sigh*

Collapse -
Next step

In reply to: restart

And I'm not really sure from reading that thread how to proceed... I need to buy an external hard drive, is that what I'm reading?

Collapse -
I can't tell you that.

In reply to: Next step

I don't know what you have to work with. I can't know if you would boot up a LiveCD and what you see or if you would email files out of the machine to yourself.

Solutions are abundant but until you decide what to try and if you can't try it then you head for a repair counter.

-> BUT WAIT. I forgot a BIG thing. What else is plugged into this machine? Any printers, memory sticks? Is there a CD in the drive? Floppy in the floppy drive?

Details matter.
Bob

Collapse -
again, thank you :)

In reply to: I can't tell you that.

I guess I will try to figure out how to get the LiveCD going- not sure how I'm going to manage without an external hard drive- there's nothing else connected to my computer- this all seemed to start after I put a scandisc memory card from my camera into my computer, and since then, nothing has worked properly.

Collapse -
Then try the LiveCD methods.

In reply to: restart

Longer reply below. The battery out, etc. method is not a sure thing but I always give it one try since if it works we can say we dodged the bullet.
Bob

Collapse -
How to fix.

I see you asked how to fix in the other discussion.

There are TWO issues to solve.

Issue ONE. SAVE THE FILES.
The other discussion was not unlike what we discussed at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Why I noted these is that there is nothing scary about using a LiveCD and it can save the files if you are lucky. However if you must insist for even easier methods then it will cost a lot more. For example read http://www.drivesavers.com and take the machine to a repair counter.

Issue TWO. Fix the machine.
Given the price of a hard drive is less than 99 bucks I think I would slip in a new hard disk and use the RESTORE MEDIA that you made or were supplied with the machine. If you do not want to do this then you go to a repair counter.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: How to fix.

sorry- I'll admit I'm extremely frustrated, as there are photos of a deceased relative on my computer that I was stupid enough not to back up, and now I'm a mess thinking I can't get them back. I'm going to write down the steps from the post you sent, and attempt to figure this out. My computer is under warranty, and if I sent it in, I'm sure they'd just install a new one, but I doubt they'd give a crap about the files I'm trying so desperately to save.
Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know if it works

Rachel

Collapse -
loaded

In reply to: How to fix.

Okay- I downloaded the 699mb Ubuntu file to my computer, burned it to a CDR, and then put that into my computer. I then changed the Boot menu to boot from the USB CDROM: (that being first in my Boot Priority Order)
and still, I get "Disk read error" screen.

does this mean it's fried?

Collapse -
Sometimes I find

In reply to: loaded

New to CD recording folks that put the .ISO file on the CD. Let's use another link and article to see how to make a proper Ubuntu CD.

"I mentioned earlier that the Ubuntu file is an ".iso" file. An ISO file is a disk image and you have to burn it to a CD in a certain way for it to work. You need to have a program that can burn disk images to a CD. Windows does not come with a program to do this. If you don't already have a program like Nero or Sonic RecordNow!, you can download a free program called CDBurnerXP Pro."
More at http://www.linuxfortravelers.com/burn-the-downloaded-ubuntu-file-to-a-blank-cd

Collapse -
still

In reply to: Sometimes I find

I did this- trying the disc burn twice just to make sure I had it correctly downloaded, and it still will not work. My computer powers up, I hear the whirring noise, the Acer screen pops up, then I hear the whirrig of it attempting to access my CDR drive, and I still get the Disk Read Error screen- I guess I'm out of luck. thanks anyways~!

Collapse -
We can put this on USB sticks too. But.

In reply to: still

I have run across folk that put the ISO "file" on the CDR.

Do this. Slip that CDR into a working machine and tell me what files you see on the CDR.
Bob

Collapse -
on disk

In reply to: We can put this on USB sticks too. But.

There are several folders-
.disk
casper
dists
install
isolinux
pics
pool
preseed
then there is
autorun -Setup Information
md5sum - Text Document
README.diskdefines
ubuntu File
and
wubi

Collapse -
Good.

In reply to: on disk

It appears you have made the CDR proper but can't boot from USB CD/DVD drive.

Can you reveal why you selected the USB CD drive? This laptop has a built-in DVDRW drive so is there part of a story missing here?
Bob

Collapse -
boot

In reply to: Good.

when I went into my setup to select a boot location, these were my choices

1:IDE 0: WDC WD1600BEVS-22RSTO
2:IDE 1: HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-T20N
3: USB CDROM:
4:USB FDD:
5:Network Boot: MBAv 9.4.5 Slot 0500
6:USB HDD

since that was the only one I saw that had CDROM in it, I thought that was the correct one to use- those are my only 6 options

Collapse -
Item 2 is your laptop's DVDRW drive.

In reply to: boot

USB CDROM is an option if you have such.

I think you are very close to seeing your files.
Bob

Collapse -
ubuntu

In reply to: Item 2 is your laptop's DVDRW drive.

success... I got into the Ubuntu program- but not sure how to locate my files using this program?

Collapse -
Almost there.

In reply to: ubuntu

"How to access my Windows data?

After downloading and burning the ISO file, you boot from the Live CD on your broken computer. When the Ubuntu menu shows up, you select the first entry which should be something like ?Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer?, depending on the system version. Once the operating system is loaded, you go to Places -> Computer which will show you all available drives. Now, try to open your Windows drive with a double click. If you can access the drive, congratulations! You can now backup your data"

From http://www.notebooknotes.com/blog/how-to-backup-your-broken-windows-pc-with-an-ubuntu-live-cd.html but I cut out the important part for you to read. Don't read the other text there yet as we only need to get to your files.
Bob

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: Almost there.

Windows doesn't show up as an available folder- but Acer does- but when I click on it it says it Cannot mount volume

not sure if this is gonna work or not.

Collapse -
Good and bad news.

Let me share a link but don't read it yet.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mount/+bug/132279

Ok, that message does happen if the NTFS volume is "dirty" or in need of a CHKDSK run.

To recovery from this we need a bootable XP or Vista CD/DVD. One that we can get to the Recovery Console.

-> Thanks for sticking it out so far but you are making progress. Let's see what OS CD you have to work with.
Bob

Collapse -
next?

In reply to: Good and bad news.

I have no cds. I ran all the codes it told me to and it says "The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.

but it still doesnt' let me in.

should I attempt to download a recovery disk?

Collapse -
Be very careful what recovery disk you choose.

In reply to: next?

The disks I've noted are not known to wipe the drive like most recovery disks do. We only need to get any Windows XP or Vista CD/DVD that matches your system OS to boot that and in the recovery console type "ONE" command.

It's sad you don't have such a CD. I see a 4 dollar one noted at http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-433782.html but let's see what you find.
Bob

Collapse -
maybe this?

In reply to: Be very careful what recovery disk you choose.

Collapse -
Looks like the right thing.

In reply to: maybe this?

But given it's a torrent I can't supply the steps to download it. But to make the bootable CD will use what you learned so far.
Bob

Collapse -
what to do

In reply to: Looks like the right thing.

I'm not sure I understand your last post- should I attempt that restore? not sure what my next move should be at this point.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking this much time out of your day to help me. Even if I don't get everything back, you have helped me out more than you know, and restored my faith in people helping out strangers.

Collapse -
That download is

In reply to: what to do

Not a restore CD or DVD. It's just what's needed to boot Windows and get to the recovery console so we can run the one command to chkdsk the drive and hope for the best.

My reply is that I see its not a simple download but a torrent. That could be more work to walk you through what that is, how to download than what we covered so far.

If we must save files and we reach the end of what we can do ourselves the next step is costly. Read and ask at http://www.drivesavers.com

For me I find buying a copy of Vista is cheaper and worth the investment.
Bob

Collapse -
wow

In reply to: That download is

well I checked out disk savers, and I'm just not willing to shell out $900 for what's on here.

I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks again

Collapse -
bootdisk

In reply to: That download is

Okay- I've found Bootdisk.Com, and am fully willing to pay the $4 for the disk- but I have absolutely no clue which one I need to download... I see loads of bootable windows files- none of them say Vista, which is my Windows version- so where do I go from here?

Collapse -
again?

In reply to: Be very careful what recovery disk you choose.

I don't see any 4 dollar disk on here- I see a free download- not sure where to get the one you referred to?

I'm willing to give it a try...

Collapse -
help?

In reply to: again?

I downloaded the file and copied it to a cd, but when I put it in my comp, it doesn't do anything. Not sure what I'm missing here...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.