Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Disk Defragmentor

by allyson189 / April 23, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

I am needing help using my Disk Defragmentor. It used to work but now it doesn't. It just keeps starting over and over and it never get past 1%. I have Windows ME. I have had my computer about 3 years but still don't know very much. I don't have any other programs running at the time I try to defragment but something must be writing to it thats why it doesn't work but for the life of me I don't know what it could be. My computer is a Dell Dimension 2100.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk Defragmentor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk Defragmentor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Disk Defragmentor
by kwiat87268 / April 23, 2004 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Defragmentor

There are a few things you can do. Hit control alt delete and end task to all items except for explorer and systray. Also go into your control panel and turn off your active desktop, which is turned on when you have certain wallpapers present. Also you may want to try standard scan disk after doing the suggestions above before defrag.

This should allow you to run defrag

Collapse -
Re:Re:Disk Defragmentor
by Nanny / April 23, 2004 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Disk Defragmentor

I agree with kwiat87268. I have a Dell and when I defrag I first disconnect from the internet. Then I turn off all programs except explorer and systray; that includes my antivirus program, firewall and anything else running. This can be done by the instructions kwiat87268 gave you.

Next I run a scan disk, then I defrag. When done, reboot and connect to the internet again. Your firewall and antivirus program should be on again after reboot.

Collapse -
by pavel_lishin / April 23, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

I wouldn't use the built-in Windows defragmenter. It has rarely worked out well for me. I recommend O&O Defrag - it not only works very well, it even has different ways to sort the physical data on your hard disk which makes a lot of difference in access speed. For example, you can sort things by folder and filename - thus, all the files that a program uses are going to be clustered together, and seek time will be much less.

Basically, if it comes with Windows, don't use it is my advice.

Collapse -
by dcmorris / April 23, 2004 2:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
by allyson189 / April 23, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

Dana Thank you for all your help. I did have a couple of problems though. I didn't know how to find safe mode I have had my computer for about 3 years now but still don't know very much about anything but I was able finally to defragment. Also I didn't know how to disable my screensaver. Thanks again for your help. Allyson

Collapse -
by CKinVA / April 23, 2004 4:34 AM PDT

If it is running, turn off Microsofts "Fast Find" file indexer (see your control panel).

Fast Finds job is to keep a directory of where your files are on your disk drives, so when you search for a file you can (obviously) find it faster.

When you defrag you are moving the files around. The defrag routine knows this is happening and handles it gracefully.

However, Fast Find does not know you are defrag'ing so it continually updates its directory (by writing the new/moved locations to its disk list). This causes the defragment routine to re-start.

Unless you do a lot of file searches, Fast Find is not that helpful (and it hogs resources, slows boot time, etc).

Collapse -
by KathyW / April 23, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

The 98 built in will run forever if you have any other applications running. It is an old version of Norton Speed disk. Download and run Diskeeper trialware or you can get Diskeeper Lite - a freebie that runs like a bomb on 98. Your best best is to go automatic with Diskeeper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?