Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

disk defragment

When I try to do a disk defragment I get a warning that my E drive only has 12% free space, and I need 15% to do a defrag. Then it asks if I would like to continue. I have tried several times, but always cancel before running the defrag. Do I ahve anything to worry about, or should I just go ahead and run it?
Thanks,
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: disk defragment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: disk defragment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why must you do this?

In reply to: disk defragment

It's something of a mystery why there is less payoff today but let's skip to why you need 15%.

Let's say the biggest file on the E drive is 15% of the volume. To defragment that file the MS Defrag program may need that much space to copy the file to. While some could argue a smarter defrag program could do with just spare cluster then we get to discuss why MS's defrag isn't so smart?

So why not forget about it and enjoy your machine?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: disk defragment

If you cant free up space and want to defrag anyway, you could download a free trial version of third party defraggers like Diskeeper which are said to defrag with lesser than 15% free space.

Collapse -
No problem with it.

There is no problem with attempting to defrag with less than 15% free space. Whether the XP defragger will do much under those conditions is a different issue.

Do a disk cleanup and you maybe able to recover some more free space. Disk cleanup can be accessed in My Computer by right clicking on the relevant drive.

The 15% free space requirement is probably due to the fact that the $MFT + allocated zone is approximately 15% of the disk partition. (Closer to 12.5% actually). The XP defragger is unable to move the fragments of a fragmented $MFT, although the API has the functionality. So, I am guessing that the 15% minimum was sort of an insurance against having to deal with the $MFT yet being able to attempt to defrag the other files.

If you want to reliably defrag in less than 15% free space, you'll need to look at one of the commercial defrag utilities such as Diskeeper 2008. It can move $MFT fragments as well as defrag in low space.

Collapse -
sorry.

In reply to: No problem with it.

er, incomplete sentence. I meant to say
"Disk cleanup can be accessed in My Computer by right clicking on the relevant drive and choosing Properties". There is an option for disk cleanup there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.