Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Disk Defrag won't run

by Maggiethecat / March 29, 2004 8:53 PM PST

Hi all,
I have Windows ME. When I try to run a Disk Defrag it looks like it's working, but does not go anywhere. The light on the tower shows that there's activity, but it does not proceed. I have let it run for over 10 hours, but nothing. Help please? Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk Defrag won't run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk Defrag won't run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go Into Safe Mode To Defrag
by pfeffer3 / March 29, 2004 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Disk Defrag won't run

Turn computer on and while booting in black/white screen, press F8 key.

Collapse -
Defrag won't work
by davilaavelino0 / November 12, 2009 11:34 PM PST

What do you do after pressing F8 on the black screen?

Collapse -
Use the F8 Key In Order To Boot To Safe Mode...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Defrag won't work

Start the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads.. At the selection screen, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode", then press the "Enter" key. When the computer boots to Safe Mode, simply run Disc Defragmenter as usual. (Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disc Defragmenter)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Disk Defrag won't run
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2004 1:31 AM PST

Maggie,

Prior to running Scandisk or Defrag, be sure to shut down all programs running in the background by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete (at the same time)and "End Task" on each program listed except for Explorer and Systray. It's usually best to do the Scandisk first, then Defrag. Virus Scanning programs and Find-fast can make your Scandisk loop over and over again. If it's any consolation, if you do it frequently (once every week or two), it goes much faster. Also make sure you delete all the unneeded files (Cookies, History, and Temporary Internet Files) prior to doing the above. Shut down your screen saver temporarily as this can also freeze scandisk and defrag.

After opening Scandisk, place a CHECK mark in ?Automatically Fix Errors. Click on the "Advanced" button, then make sure the settings look like this:
Display Summary=Always
Log File=Replace Log
Cross-linked File=Delete
Lost File Fragments=Free
Check Valid Files For=Place a check in ALL of the options
Check Host Drive First

If for some reason, it still doesn't work, run both programs in "Safe Mode". Restart the computer, pressing the F8 key once per second, till it loads a selection screen. Use the up and down arrows to select "Safe Mode", press enter, and the computer will load into a safe mode. When you?re done, restart the machine and it will boot normally.

If all else fails, run Scandisk in DOS. Gain access to a Command Prompt in Windows ME this way: Shut down the puter, place the Windows ME start up disk in the floppy drive, start the machine. When the menu appears choose "Minimum Boot". Press Enter. When the command prompt appears, type "scandisk", then press enter.

Collapse -
Good, succinct post for newbies, Grif.
by chuckieu / April 2, 2004 3:44 AM PST

Although there are good third party programs out there,
users need to understand how this works and make sure their computer is functioning properly before trying them. With use, this process becomes second nature. I've never bothered getting a program that automates the running program shutdown. chuck

Collapse -
by MzLee / March 30, 2004 6:32 AM PST

I also have Windows ME and followed all of the very good help from the members, but even with all of the suggestions, I was at 24 hours plus, and it never completed. I was also told about Power Defrag, which I downloaded and have used ever since to do the job.
It's a great program.
Here's the link, if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.powerdefrag.com/

MzLee

Collapse -
by Maggiethecat / March 30, 2004 9:07 PM PST

I got it working in Safe Mode. Thank you all for your help Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Maggie, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2004 11:06 PM PST

Collapse -
by eprenner / April 4, 2004 2:19 PM PDT

My best advice is get out of Me, which I found a disaster, and upgrade to XP. Life will be much better.

Ed

Collapse -
Re:Re:Disk Defrag won't run
by LadyJ926 / April 4, 2004 9:26 PM PDT

I agree entirely! lol. ME was just a Mr Gates quickie. As far as defrag goes, it will not run while other applicationa are running in the background so....safe mode is the way to go.

Collapse -
by dmchilders / April 4, 2004 2:43 PM PDT

As a rule, DeFrag has a problem with programs running in the background. Each time a program kicks in DeFrag starts again.

You can get around this by starting your computer in SAFE MODE, then running DeFrag.

Collapse -
by stu211 / April 4, 2004 2:59 PM PDT

Answer - Other programs are running in the background which interfere with defrag.

Before running defrag you must stop all other programs under windows. This includes all system programs except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER. 2 WAYS to do this:

1. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and Task Manager will appear. Click on "Processes" tab.
Then one by one stop each task except the 2 above. be sure not to stop the 2 above. Or,

2. Shut down Windows and start in the SAFE MODE. To do this:
During start up when you see the message "Please select the operating system to start", hold down F8.
Some choices will show on the screen. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, end press enter. (Some versions of windows may require CTRL F8 or CTRL F7).

Then initiate the defrag program. When it completes, shut down windows and do a regular start-up.

Stu Sherman ssherman@nj.rr.com

Collapse -
by isabelcarter / April 4, 2004 4:08 PM PDT

Something is running on your computer that is keeping defrag from proceeding. I downloaded a free program called EndItAll, and it closes just about everything that can be closed. Now I run that before defragging, and it has worked every time.

Collapse -
by stonehkm / April 4, 2004 4:57 PM PDT

In ME I've never seen the standard defragger work. Power Defrag and Diskeeper 8.0 work great, but have a price after a free trial. For a good free application download Diskeeper Lite which leaves an icon on your desktop and allows you to defrag manually (not automatic) as often as you like. This application is VERY good and works. Go to:

http://www.webattack.com/get/dkeeperlite.shtml

Collapse -
by lange_John / April 4, 2004 6:43 PM PDT

you can set me in veleige modus their you can defrag

Collapse -
by midnightshuman / April 5, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

This usually occurs when there is another program running. Try closing vius software,too and then proceed. Good Luck! Midnightshuman

Collapse -
by phyco55 / April 5, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

Try investing in a copy of nortons system works speed disk in it works fine and the anti virus is good also. the 2003 version is being sold cheap just about everywhere but there seems to be quite a lot on ebay.Also to keep everything else running at top speed tune up utilitys is a good programe

Collapse -
by wingnut975 / April 5, 2004 12:50 PM PDT

When you start your computer hit F7 continually until it sends you to a page that give you 3 choices where you want to go. Click on SAFE MODE. You will be able to defrag from there. You will be able to exit it normally.

When you are done and have rebooted...run a system file check (START - RUN - SFC) and then a scandisk (START - RUN - SCANDISK). Everything should work now.

This has always worked for me. Usually if I can't run the scandisk then I would have to do the scandisk and defrag in SAFE MODE

Collapse -
by thepan123 / April 6, 2004 4:13 AM PDT

Use Perfect Disk by Raxco. In fact, you can download PD on this web site, CNET.com. I can't remember if Perfect Disk is shareware or not. I do know this...for persistant defrag problems, this program unconditionally will defrag your drive. Some argue that that isn't good. I don't worry about that. I replace more hard drives due to user ignorance after not defraging and dumping cookies and temp files. This program is very useful, especially in Win 98 and ME. ME is another problem. Dump it and get a better OS from Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?