Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Disk Cleanup stops while compressing files

by Carol~ Moderator / October 13, 2004 12:13 PM PDT

One support line says this problem occurs when there is an incorrect entry in the registry that is used by the Disk Cleanup utility to locate compressed files. It offered a way to workaround it through the registry. As a newbie, I fear touching it. I am not sure this is even the answer. Is there anyone who is aware of this problem and how to fix it in a "benign" manner?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk Cleanup stops while compressing files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk Cleanup stops while compressing files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Disk Cleanup stops while compressing files
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 12:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Carol~ Moderator / October 15, 2004 6:32 AM PDT

Bob..
I think I'm getting in over my head! When I went to Volume Cache in Registry, I only saw 3 items..decided not to delete and thought the problem might be with a corruptted (?) temp file. Went to delete the Temp folder (via "run") and was stopped dead in my tracks with by basically being told 'Perflib_perfdata_7bc is being used by another person or program'.
Your reply to my message addressed this problem and lead me to 'Process Explorer'. Is this the only way to go to find out what this is?

The only reason I have gotten this far, as a relatively newbie, is my innate curiosity and compulsivity. Time to try to find someone to come in and take a look? Any way to work around this problem?

Thanks for your patience!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2004 9:38 AM PDT

The prior discussion seems complete to me. Here's the deal-e-o. If you want long enough and there is nothing wrong with the hardware, disk cleanup will continue. Many of us don't have the patience for that or just don't use the compress old files feature.

Bob

Collapse -
by Carol~ Moderator / October 15, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

I believe my hardware is in tact.. but my patience has gone south (somewhere other than where I am!)

Thank you.. so very much!

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / October 13, 2004 10:19 PM PDT

curcat, If you're not comfortable editing the registry an easy solution to that problem is to go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.
Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".
"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Below is a Microsoft link which explains what causes this problem and how to manually edit the registry to correct it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248&Product=winxp

The Fix at the first link does this without the need to manually edit the registry. Take your pick.

HTH,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Carol~ Moderator / October 14, 2004 10:36 AM PDT

Tufenuf... I'm not (yet)
Thank you! Will this be something that will solve the problem or am I going to have to .. as Microsoft puts it .. 'workaround' it each time I want to run Disk Cleanup?

Thanks again for your help.

curcat

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / October 14, 2004 12:02 PM PDT

curcat, It will solve the problem and you won't have to use a work around.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?