Linux forum

General discussion

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

by Jamie_Millington / December 24, 2008 7:03 AM PST

I have recently acquired a new computer from a friend of mine. The hard drive has been formatted and is FAT32 compatible. The problem is when I come to install Puppy Linux, it shows the following message; Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I can't seem to get any further than this. I am trying to install Linux from a disk image burned to a re-writable disk. Any suggestions on how to combat this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
disk boot failure
by tigerson1 / December 24, 2008 3:09 PM PST

Hi Jamie,
I have occasionally run up against the same problem, which at least in my hands has meant recalcitrant partitioning tables left over from a previous installation. Suggest you "scrub" (=write zeros to) the HD completely, either from the command line, or from say one of the HD applications in e.g. ubcd (mine is 504b, but there would be even later ones).
Puppy is also ideal for installation to a USB device and does not even need a HD.
Cheers

Collapse -
Disk Boot Failure
by Jamie_Millington / December 24, 2008 6:14 PM PST
In reply to: disk boot failure

What is the best way to scrub the hard drive? I'm new to this and the pc doesn't have an OS yet. I might need a step-by-step guide.

Collapse -
disk boot fal;ure
by tigerson1 / December 24, 2008 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Disk Boot Failure

Hi Jamie,
I notice you "are new to this" and may have misunderstood you. You mentioned that you were trying to install Puppy to your HD, and that the HD does not have any OS on it. Recent versions of Puppy have a "universal installer", which I have used to install it to a bootable USB device or a DVD, which works well, but I have not installed to a HD. It also has a GParted, which would tell you if there are any old partition tables in it. Puppy has a very helpful on line forum.
If you still have problems,I find the downloadable Universal Boot CD (suggest you "google" ubcd) excellent, including its hard disk applications (e.g. Active Kill Disk)to "wipe/scrub/write zeros" with. There are others as well.
Cheers

Collapse -
disk boot failure
by tigerson1 / December 25, 2008 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: disk boot fal;ure

Have you checked that your Puppy CD is bootable and not just has a copy of the iso file?

Collapse -
disk boot failure
by Jamie_Millington / December 25, 2008 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: disk boot failure

I made sure I made a disk image using ImgBurn and the Puppy Linux iso file. It works fine on my friend's computer but he used a CDR so I'm going to try it on a CDR in the same way.

Collapse -
Have you change the bios boot sequence to "cd-rom"?
by ahtoi / December 25, 2008 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Boot Failure

That's needed for the computer to bootup using the puppylinux cd. If it is a live-cd, then it is not necessary for you to install it to a harddrive before you can use linux.

Collapse -
boot sequence
by Jamie_Millington / December 25, 2008 5:20 AM PST

I have the boot sequence set so it will use the CD drive first. It gets as far as installing the kernels and drivers and then freezes. Sometimes it notifies me of a kernel panic. What does this mean and how can I avoid it?

Collapse -
"a disk image burned to a re-writable disk"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 5:27 AM PST

Not to second guess this but I've found some machines to dislike CDRW media for booting. One read error and you get a free prize (core dump or other fun message.)

Have a friend make a new CD on CDR for you and have them test it for you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.