General discussion

disk boot failure

I am currently tryin to help out a freind with his 2 comps and they both have disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter ..I tried many things still comes to that.Hard drive is not found in bios either..these comps are both p2 with their own hard drives.Thats what gets me is its 2 different comps with same prob.Ohh boy any help at all would be much appreciated thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: disk boot failure
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: disk boot failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
and more

i can hear/feel the hard drive running .I pulled the battery/unplugged from house and let it sit for 5-10 min .tried different ribbons,made sure they were snug,bios set to default yes i can boot from floppy .
also
when i start up from floppy it says
windosw98 has dectected that drive C does not contain a calid fat or fat32 partition.there are several possible causes.
1:the drive may need to be partitioned.to create a partition on the drive fun fdisk from the ms dos command promt
2:you may be using third party disk partitioning software.if you are using this type of software remove the emergency boot disk and restart your computer from a floppy disk
3:some viruses also cause your drice C to not register.you can use a virus scanning program to check your computer for viruses.
the diagnostic tools werfe successfully loaded to drive C
device driver not found:'MSCD001'
no valid cd rom device drivers selected
to get help,type help and press enter
A:\>
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

- Collapse -
Hard drives do come and go....

and on a 98 system 5-6 years old, your's is likely gone. You can try the drives makers disk utility but if the Bios shows nothing, it's time to go shopping.

- Collapse -
these are good

these were tested before i tried them in these boxes and they were good.

- Collapse -
Now you get to retest them.

However I don't see much in the way of details. No make/models of the parts involved, if the motherboard BIOS is current, allows these hard disks and the gritty details of IDE cable types, jumpers and ... a story.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info