TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DishNetwork's ViP622 dvr and a question or two

OK I am getting my new TV here soon and need to get my DishNetwork package upgraded to the HD stuff. So that means that I need to dump my old single tuner DVR here and look toward the ViP622 DVR.

So I have a few questions.

1. Can this record a HD program the same time I am watching a HD program or do I have to watch a digital channel while this is happening?
2. How many HD programs can be recorded at the same time?
3. How many regular digital programs can be recorded at the same time?

What I am hoping for is that I can record something while watching a different channel at the same time. I use to have that with my old cable DVR and loved it. But had to get a single tuner DVR with I switched over to dish and totally miss that option. Really sucks having to pick between shows and miss out on stuff.
Is there a better DVR out there for Dish or is that all I have to pick from?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DishNetwork's ViP622 dvr and a question or two
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DishNetwork's ViP622 dvr and a question or two
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dish DVR Vip622 owner

In reply to: DishNetwork's ViP622 dvr and a question or two

This is a dual Sat tuner DVR so you can record any channel HD or SD while watching any HD or SD channel as well.

Now there is a third tuner as well that can be used for cable or OTA ant.

I use it for OTA ant, so I can record two HD or SD channels off the dish and watch any HD or SD local channel, or record one local channel and one dish channel at the same time and then watch diffrent dish channel.

the really nice part about this is if you lose a signal on the dish, you can still watch local OTA channels.

Plus you can run a second TV off of the DVR box, so you could stop what you are watching in one room and continue it in a diffrent room.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
DISH Network DVR Advantage Package...

Be sure to ask for it when you get your HD DISH set-up complete; it'll save you some $$$ each month.

I too am getting DISH HD; hopefully the installers will be over within the next few days.

Collapse -
Dish Network DVR

You might want to consider the ViP722 over the 622. The 722 allows for Digital recording and viewing (in fact with an "over the air antenna" - you can record two digital and one OTA). The 722 also has a 350 hour recording capacity or 55 hours of digital. Seems the HD signal eats up a lot of storage. With the 722 and two TV's (one HD and one SD) you can be recording two digital programs and watch two other digital (or SD) programs at the same time.

The 722 costs $149 but you get $100 back ($10 per month on your bill).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.