General discussion

Diseased and Suffering Binary Buddy

My cherished companion has virus damage; the offenders have been purged, but the damage is real. Most of my Windows System programs have been seriously crippled. I can access them in Safe Mode and by circuitous routes, but it's a hassle. My old friend is very slow and is getting slower every day. Some background: my buddy originally had Me installed, and when it failed, I had to overwrite the OS. My friend had an XP Pro disc, so I installed XP Pro over the Me. Everything went well for a while, then the damage was wrought by hideous human beings (if I may so call them) through their evil and nefarious projects. Anyhow, now Microsoft will not support this OS, and it does no good to reinstall the OS. Compaq will not support this OS because it is HP's policy to not support any other OS than what originally came with the computer. That's where I am. I need an independent agent who has the ability to scan and hopefully repair -- or, at least, name the files and drivers that were damaged. I have been unsuccessful in finding the right search words to find an agent who can do what I need to be done. I do not have the money to have a technician visit my ill "baby." I don't believe in computhenasia, but the life is draining from a very useful family member. I would appreciate any nudge in the right direction from y'ns who are gifted in this area.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Diseased and Suffering Binary Buddy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Diseased and Suffering Binary Buddy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The problem is this

"My friend had an XP Pro disc, so I installed XP Pro over the Me"

If you used a friend's copy of WinXP and did not activate it with Microsoft to show that you genuinely purchased the OS, then you will not receive official "tech help" to get you out of trouble. I do not believe the Moderators here will help with a pirated OS.

Your best bet is to find the original ME CD's that came with the computer and either do a repair installation or a reformat and install with them.

Sorry.

Mark

- Collapse -
"Microsoft will not support this OS" = Very odd.

Unless the OS is pirated, they offer support. As it stands it appears you may be a pirate and as such are finding that it wasn't a good deal.

You may want to obtain a legal version since the others can't get updates. Which may be what you mean by support. Without the updates, it may not last long.

In closing, not a word about firewall, antivirus and shunning of Internet Explorer was in your post.

Bob

- Collapse -
Can a mod be prejudice of IE?

While I do agree with you Bob, I don't think IE had to be brought up. I think Internet Explorer is lousey also, but I am using it with great success, as of late.
Being a pirate is the main issue here. It sounds like a well written and sad story, but Dat's der price ye pay, me mateee!

- Collapse -
sfc /scannow

All of the moralizing aside (you don't know what financial straights I'm in, or the desperate situation that precipitated my so-called "piracy"), I was able to resurrect the worst of my problems for my good friend. It's called sfc /scannow.

Now, if I can just find Tiger's post, I'll offer her that solution. It was that post that got me on the right trail.

Thanks for trying to help this pirate (TIC) ;-}.

- Collapse -
No help for pirates here.

Its just like car thieves. You wouldn't help them either.

It's not a moral issue.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info