The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

(Discuss) A movie on your TV at home, before you can rent it

by techmulticast / July 1, 2008 3:35 PM PDT

If I am not wrong, there are 2 Email responses being read, in BOL757, related to the mentioned news. It is regarding Sony Pictures '*casting' latest movie releases, via Internet, to Sony Bravia TVs with Internet connection.

I felt it is great and interesting topic to discuss. Sony has been planning for this, so no surprise. And the impact might be huge if it take off.

If this take off,
1) they will be in broadcast/multicast business. They will still need need 'Cable'/ADSL Company to provide their customer with Internet access. However Cable Company will no longer be the middle man that broadcast their content. Any advertisement earning will go to them directly. They can be the content aggregator.

2)Sony will also set the 'standard', since it is proven. And other studio can license their technology or go to them for distribution service.

3)Other TVs maker can also obtain licenses to sony's 'standard', sony application layer, sony's TV operating system....etc. Or register their MAC address or some other identifier, for a certain fees so that they can '*cast' contents to their TV directly....etc. I am not sure how the real thing work, I only felt there would defintely be money involved if you want to be 'on' par with their TV.

Now is TV going be our living room entertainment center or PC fight back?

It is good to own both content and hardware. It is a potential good news for their share holder.

However personally I agree with Molly, I do not like this move. It stinks. But it is not illegal. It is like buying a game console currently. I can play only certain game from certain studio, unless the studio want to invest and create that game for several platforms.
After 80 years of goodness from our neutral TV that can view a variety of program from various content studio. Now we have to crack our brain when we are trying to buy a TV. We have to be mindful what contents it can view before purchasing it...that sucks. It is like buying a car that can only travel on certain highway. Well maybe I am just being spoilt by the good old ways.

BTW, even if it did not take off
3) Potential TV buyer who have heard this news would also might take it into consideration. Hmmm... better get this brand because it might be more 'future proof' as the sale man might have said.

Oh Sony also have mobile phone...hmmm maybe one day we will also have that sort of headache when we are purchasing our mobile phone. loi.

To our Samsung Staff, please help.... there are rumour that Samsung will have a LCD with Xbox built in... is that true? Will we see one in coming E3? Can you increase the harddisk/flash dirve space?
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=28977

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (Discuss) A movie on your TV at home, before you can rent it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (Discuss) A movie on your TV at home, before you can rent it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No big deal
by FredAgain / July 1, 2008 8:33 PM PDT

I don't see it as a big deal, and I think Molly exaggerates greatly linking this to a "method for world domination". Its not like you will never get to see the movies, you just won't "get" to pay for them before everybody else.

Its not too different from Comcast providing Comcast-specific content for users who have their cable boxes.

I fancy myself a movie-buff, but come on, we're talking about "movies" here, so lets put this in perspective before we over-react (that goes for Netflix's Profiles issue as well).

And lets be fair. We keep saying that these companies need to modify there business model to operate in this new world, but then when they try new things out (like with the RIAA), we freak out. The market will separate the good ideas from the bad ones.

Collapse -
Can't Wait for this Idea to Catch On!
by PressAnyKey / July 1, 2008 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: No big deal

If we're lucky then maybe other companies will adopt this philosophy. Just imagine:

- Krupps could start making toasters and coffee makers that work with any bread and coffee but does an extra special job on Krupps brand bread and coffee.

- Whirlpool could unleash a refrigerator that keeps Whirlpool brand (or approved) milk fresher.

- Maytag could partner with a clothing manufacturer and guarantee that their clothes would be cleaner when washed in Maytag products.

- I could have THREE televisions in my living room depending on the type of content I want to watch.

- I would have the honor of buying TWO high definition DVD players depending on the movie I want to watch... Oh wait, that happened already...

I apologize for taking liberties and being tounge in cheek about this but the main reason we purchase a particular brand of television is picture quality. Now we have to make decions about content.... for a television?

Dumb...

By the way, wasn't the promotion that owners of a certain model of Sony television would have early access to the movie Hancock? Have you seen the reviews of the movie so far? Do you really want to base your purchase decision on the future promise of a movie studio, or any other company for that matter?

Collapse -
(Discuss) A movie on your TV at home, before you can rent it
by wizkids32 / July 2, 2008 7:31 AM PDT

I think that it is wrong for Sony to do. I think that this will be wrong because then you will either have many TV's to watch the different Movies also the will DRM to high heaven since you couldn't watch the movie on a different TV at all. What a strange thing for Sony to do that is just as bad as Microsoft and Zune and Apple and the iPod. Since we want DRM off of the songs and movies this would be wrong for Sony to do.

Collapse -
I agree with the strangeness...
by kapsol / July 2, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

but I also say, so what? Okay this is another method of delivery some people will care for it some will be unaffected. One can agree with Tom's rumination that eventually, various Tele makers will collaborate with other studios then Sony's strategy will be moot. Or this may turn out to be a damp squib and nobody will care about it. It is nice to have as an added feature but not a killer app. It certainly will not affect buying choices (much). Now if Sony were to provide this service free (upto one year etc) or as an all you can eat subscription service. That would make things very very interesting.

Collapse -
I don't think its "wrong" or even "scary"

I think its just another example of the myopia on the part of content and service providers that is keeping digital delivery of content from entering the mainstream. Right now, everyone is protecting their little section of turf and is unable to see how by being so isolationist they are missing out on a much bigger opportunity.

In that way I do agree with Molly that these kinds of exclusive partnerships and dealmaking like this are fracturing the marketplace. Its not scary as much as its just pathetic that we have to go through this nonsense before these companies stop behaving like kids in a sandbox. Consumers like standardized platforms. This is what allows standards like VHS, DVD, CD's and mp3's to reach mainstream status. If you fracture everything so we all need to buy 15 set top boxes to play 15 types of proprietary content with 15 different types of confusing DRM to make sure we have got all our bases covered you may sell to a few die hard enthusiasts but most people will just stay home.

Wouldn't it be funny if the reason Blu-ray becomes the next generation standard wasn't really because it was the most deserving platform but because Sony, Apple, Microsoft, Vudu and all the cable and satellite companies couldn't cooperate to bring a viable digital standard to market?

Collapse -
Way Over-reated too!
by The_Noid / July 2, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

Geez - Molly and many of you are WAY over-reacting to this. It's not there aren't already these types of deals in place all over the place. Jason had it dead to rights when he called it "an easter egg" for the Sony TV owner - so they get to access the movie a little earlier and in a different format because they've got the Sony TV. I rent from Blockbuster - they have exclusives on some movies so they can rent them a week earlier than you can get them from Netflix - Good for the Blockbuster subscriber? Sure. Huge lifechanging impact for everyone else? No. Honestly, with the caliber of movies being made these days I think I could probably wait YEARS to see some of this content - so a few days really isn't that horrible.
As to Molly and Tom's descent into a "fractured" content world where you can only watch the movies that are linked to the TV - bull. Let's not forget a very simple fact here - these TV companies and movie companies and everyone else want to make MONEY. You can only make a very limited amount of money if you shut down access to your content, but you can make more money if you offer "goodies" to your customers. That's what this "casting" is - goodies. Sony would NEVER stop people from buying, renting, watching on Payper View, or in any other format viewing and paying for their movies - that would suicide. But they can get a little "bump" in their TV sales by offering a sweet little carrot - so if you were in Best Buy and couldn't decide between that Sony Bravia and an LG - maybe this tips the scales a little for you.

Collapse -
I'm Fascinated
by PressAnyKey / July 2, 2008 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Way Over-reated too!

... that anyone would spend the extra money on a television based on Sony's word that there will be future cool content. While this may work for videogame consoles which has a looong history using this model I cannot think of many other consumer products where this works.

Claims of future greatness coming from the marketing department hold no water for me. Show me what it does now....

Collapse -
Most people don't even pay attention to studio names.
by minimalist / July 3, 2008 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm Fascinated

I'm a movie fan and other than a single foreign film that I remember being on Sony Pictures Classics I can't recall a single DVD or movie I've watched in the last 5 years being on Sony. Its just not something that sticks in your mind.

I can't see how this tactic will prove successful with the general public who pays even less attention to studio names than me. Sony will end up naming the service something cryptic like "First Connect" and it will be just one more of the series of meaningless badges slapped on the side of the TV packaging that make it look like your TV has got more "stuff" than the competitor's TV. I've got a great looking Sony flat panel but I assure you that "Live Color Creation", "ACE" (Advanced Color Enhancer) and "DMEX" didn't contribute to my enjoyment of it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!