Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disc space - where is it?

by the vikster / January 19, 2007 4:41 AM PST

I have read lots of threads about this problem and cannot find the solution to my problem.

I have a new laptop with 80gb hard drive. There are a few programs I have loaded - the biggest being MS office. There are NO videos and NO music, yet my disc space is showing 59gb used.

I have defraged, cleaned up the disc, scanned for every concieable virus and spy/ad-ware. I have looked at all the folders, hidden and unhidden and cannot find the missing 46gb (I figure that, at best, I am using 13gb for programs etc.

Does anyone know where this space could be hiding or what could be using the space without me being able to see it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disc space - where is it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disc space - where is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few ideas...
by steve749 / January 19, 2007 5:07 AM PST

How much space are you allowing for the Recycle Bin, System Restore and Internet Explorer? By default I think the first 2 can each take 10% of your drive each so that would be 16 GB right there taken up by those programs without looking at how much drive space IE has been allocated.

How much room is taken up by your Windows folder that may have a bunch of files backed up due to all the patches Windows has put on itself. Lastly, Office itself can take up quite a bit of room, especially if you didn't let it delete the installation files.

Collapse -
done most of that...
by the vikster / January 19, 2007 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: A few ideas...

System restore has only the last restore point and have only allocated 1% to that. Paging is set to 756mb and IE to 50mb. The windows folder is just over 1gb.

Collapse -
vikster, if you have IE6 SP1, there are many places also.
by DarCLew2 / January 19, 2007 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: done most of that...

I make certain my hard drive won't cut out on me. Right click any space on Desktop, click Properties. Screensaver Tab, turn it off for now, default is 10 min. and under that is Power. Click on that. I have Monitor, Hard Disks & Standby as Never. Advanced, Power Button is Shutdown & Hibernate is unchecked. No distractions now.
Go to Internet Options, you can delete Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and bring History to zero from 50 days. Disk Space is 10 MB.
Here is were you see all that used space. Right click start and click explore. Cookies, click on Index, go to Edit, invert seletion and delete. Go to Local Settings click plus sign, there is History, Temporary Internet Files & Temp History, right click all the Todays and delete them, TIF, Edit and select all, Delete.
Another place were items hide: My Recent Documents, Edit, select all delete. I found another under Disk Cleanup. highlight Compress Old Files, select Options and it has 50 days! Nope, dropped it down to 1 day if you pass 1 it will go to the 500's and just go back to one day. That's all for now. You can add CCleaner from & I have a 2nd one called EasyCleaner from: Though you may want to uncheck items on CCleaner like System has Temporary Files (Temp Files)
I used to lose Macromedia, WMP, Antivirus and Antispayware in Applications. I have them all unchecked. Run Defrag and see if you gained space, I went thru about4-5 days to see no compressed files.

Collapse -
What make laptop?? Any chance that it is
by Ray Harinec / January 19, 2007 5:32 AM PST

a proprietary such as Dell, HP, Compaq etc? There may be a hidden partition containing your op sys and drivers etc. Sony was notorious for wanting users to use the D partition but never bothered to tell anyone.

Also be aware that an 80 GB drive in mfr's terms is only 74 GB in MS's Binary terms. Mfr's use the base 10 number system, while MS uses the Base 2 system.

Collapse -
It's a Lenovo
by the vikster / January 19, 2007 6:05 AM PST

If there was a D drive wouldn't it show on the defrag list?

I realize it's less than 80gb in real life, but that does not explain that there is nothing on this laptop but a few programs and 2/3rd of the space is gone. I have a Toshiba laptop with a base of only 30gbs and I have loaded tons of music and videos and still space to spare! It doesn't make any sense!

Collapse -
Similar problem in an acer
by Adriansayers / January 21, 2007 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: It's a Lenovo

Hi I have a similar problem, I just purchased an acer laptop it supposed to have 160gb. However it randomly came with a fat32 file system installed, which i converted to ntfs using the convert command. I have just noticed that i seem to have lost 20gb of disk space in the conversion process. I think i have around 150gb instead of 160 is this an acceptable loss? How can i go about trying to recover the loss disk space. Any suggestions are gratefuly appreciated.

Im running xp pro.

Collapse -
In the FAT 32 version, did it have
by Ray Harinec / January 21, 2007 1:37 AM PST

partitions??? A normal XP install from an XP CD will not allow more than 32 GB if using FAT 32, however, of course, it could be formatted using the basic FDISK system.

Remember some of the 160 GB is lost in the translation to Binary, think is would be about 12 GB.

Collapse -
some utilities that may help
by linkit / January 21, 2007 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: It's a Lenovo

Try a folder size utility like free TreeSize. Do this with all hidden and system files made visible. See if you can locate the big ones.

Free CCleaner can help to get rid of temporary junk that may be hogging space.

Collapse -
System Restore can be quite big.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2007 1:31 AM PST

AKA "System Volume Information", tell us the size of this folder. Hint? Type System Volume Information into if Explorer isn't showing this folder.

To clean it up I often just disable then re-enable System Restore.

Collapse -
GB byte conversion
by Adriansayers / January 22, 2007 4:30 AM PST

Thank you for your suggestion. I added up the hard drive partitions of 71.36, 71.84, 5.84 totalling 149.04 and then converted them into bytes and surprise surprise it totals 160030481449 bytes. I imagine this is the neat sales trick on acers part.

Many thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?