Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disappearing "turnoff" button.

by dmedina / April 22, 2004 8:38 PM PDT

In the last week something has changed on my computer & I can't figure out what changed it & how to put it back. (Using Windows XP) It used to be when I hit the "start" button to turn off my computer the little box with the 3 choices would immediately come up with "standby", "turnoff" or "restart". Now all I get is a "log off" choice which I have to tell it if I want to switch users before I can get the turnoff box. I'm probably not explaining this very well but hopefully someone out there has had experience with this & can tell me what to do to change back so I get the 3 choice box automatically. Thanks in advance!

Maybe this will help explain more:
You click "start" - no "shut down" option - only the "log off" option.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disappearing "turnoff" button.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disappearing "turnoff" button.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Disappearing
by Cursorcowboy / April 22, 2004 10:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Disappearing
by dmedina / April 22, 2004 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Disappearing

Nope, no Remote Desktop in use now or previously. And I use the Regular Start Menu, not the Classic. But thanks for trying!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Disappearing
by Cursorcowboy / April 23, 2004 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Disappearing

1. The article [Q315341] describes how to perform an in-place upgrade/repair, or reinstallation to the same folder, and discusses the procedures and obsticles which may be encountered during the process.

2. Supplemental reading:

a. "Data Loss May Occur After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP (Q312368)."
Note: If WinXP came preinstalled, the information in the article could apply to you. Check and see if there is a file named Undo_guimode.txt resident in the Windows\System32 folder. Note that will apply each time an OEM restore disk is used.

b. "You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP (Q312369)."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Disappearing
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Disappearing

XP Pro did NOT come preinstalled on this computer - I upgraded from ME. Then in the article you sent me to there's this line: "Do not use a repair or in-place upgrade to resolve a problem with third-party applications, file, or registry entries." Something tells me this IS a registry problem if I can just find it. And I really don't want to risk losing data, etc. per the warnings unless I absolutely have to.

Collapse -
Re:Disappearing "turnoff" button
by dmedina / April 22, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

Just giving this a boost back up to the top - still looking for advice/answer. Thanks!

Collapse -
Re:Disappearing
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 1:50 AM PDT

Just want to give this a bump back up to the top so it doesn't disappear. I really need HELP with this please if anyone has any ideas!

Collapse -
by jackfrost64 / April 24, 2004 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Disappearing

If you did an "update" install from ME when you updated to XP you would be better off to Backup all your files and folders you can not afford to lose and do a "Clean" install. This will solve alot of problems both now and in the future.

Don't forget "hard drives are only tempoorary storage devices and it is not if but when you will you will suffer a loss of data".

Richard

Collapse -
Try System Restore...
by David Chan / April 23, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

Whilst this may not solve what causes the problem but have you tried using System Restore back to a week ago when it was working?

Or you could check your Power Management settings.
The Standy option will only be available if it has not been disabled.

As for Turn off Computer that appears to be a mystery.
Perhaps some Spyware or P2P Network has disabled it?

Collapse -
Re:Try System Restore...
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Try System Restore...

I'd like to avoid "system restore" if at all possible. I will however try the other things you've mentioned as well as those mentioned by the other replier to my thread. I don't think there's any spyware - I've run spybot & it shows clean. I also run pc-cillin - updated automatically - so don't believe there's a virus involved. Shaking my head over this one.

Collapse -
Re: Disappearing Shutdown Button
by Rollo / April 23, 2004 2:14 AM PDT

This is a problem that crops up here regularly. If you do the following it will at least remove some possible inconsistencies. Logon with Administrator privileges, go to Control Panel, User Account icon, and disable Fast User Switching if it is enabled - you must reboot after this. I advise always using the Classic Start menu, which you can right-click, choose properties and enable or disable Logoff. It seems you have multiple accounts, which I think a good thing, sometimes removing Logoff can have unfamiliar consequences. You don't say if you have XP Pro or Home, you have more control with Pro, via Group Policy Editor. While you're logged on with Administrator privileges, use the Power Options icon in Control Panel and setup the ACPI buttons on your keyboard to reflect your preferred choices. I've found, though others disagree, if you try to set different Power Options in all the accounts, instability can be the result. Changes to Power Options, I say, should be followed by an immediate reboot. Finally, you might consider installing the TweakUI PowerToy which gives some control over the Start menu options, this must be done with Administrator privileges. Try all this and maybe, just maybe, you will be able to correct this anomaly. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re: Disappearing Shutdown Button
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

Rollo,

I've printed out your suggestions & will be trying them this afternoon. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. When you said that it crops up regularly I breathed a sigh of relief - I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who'd had this problem Happy If others have had it I know there's a "fix" somewhere!

Collapse -
Re: Disappearing Shutdown Button
by Rollo / April 23, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

Don't thank me yet, but I'm happy to share my limited knowledge and experience. I have a feeling America hasn't woken up yet today and you'll get quite a few more suggestions. If my fixes do or don't cure your problem please say so and post again. I'd like to know. Thanks & Regards to you.

Collapse -
Re:Re: Disappearing Shutdown Button
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 9:21 PM PDT

Rollo - none of these worked either. Still without that button. And in answer to an earlier question it's XP Pro. Other ideas?

Collapse -
Re:Disappearing "turnoff" button.
by Cetin Denislam / April 23, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

Launch regedit and expand the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, right click NoClose select Modify and change it to 0. Exit regedit. You must Restart PC in order to take its effect.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 6:00 AM PDT

Okay, I'm willing to try it, but somebody tell me how to "launch regedit" please.

Collapse -
Click Start, Run type regedit and press Enter ... [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / April 23, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

Collapse -
by dmedina / April 23, 2004 9:23 PM PDT

Well Cetin I had high hopes for this solution, however when I followed the path all the way down I had 6 items in my right pane, NONE of which were NoClose. The 6 items were (Default), Hide Clock, No Drive Type Auto Run, No Set Taskbar, No Tray Items Display. Any other ideas???

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Disappearing "turnoff" button.
by Cetin Denislam / April 24, 2004 3:37 AM PDT

In this case I'd investigate in the following manner.

1. Boot in Safe Mode and logon with the same account. Is the Turn Off button there ?

1.1 If it is, try a clean boot in order to find additional clues.

Q310353 - "Q310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP"

1.2 If it's not there, let's try to create the NoClose registry entry. Launch regedit (you know now how) and expand the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, click the Default (only to have a focus in the right side). Click Edit, New and select Dword. Name that key right NoClose (should have its default value as 0, so let it as it is). Exit regedit and Restart PC.

If after 1.1 and/or 1.2 you're still unable to see the Turn Off button and want to keep the same account (versus creating a new account), there are other workarounds:

- Click am empty desktop area and press Alt F4. This should bring the three shutdown buttons menu.

- Create a shutdown shortcut. In this case, there are several solutions but I'd let it discuss later if necessary.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Disappearing
by dmedina / April 24, 2004 4:20 AM PDT

Okay - Turn off button was no where to be found after booting in Safe Mode. So I went to 1.2 & created the NoClose entry per instructions. Rebooted - STILL no turn off button.

Now let me explain - my husband & I both have accounts on this computer. I recently purchased a new computer & have turned the PC we're talking about over to him. I'd be willing to delete my account from this computer if 1. You think it would help & 2. If I knew the information stored in my files on this computer wouldn't be destroyed as I'd like them for backup. (I have NO objection to my husband being able to see any/all files of mine.)

I'm fairly computer literate for an almost 60 grandma, but fully admit there are things I don't know about them, although always willing to learn! (btw - hubby is almost computer ILliterate except for email & websurfing.)

Collapse -
Delete account...
by Merl Priester / April 24, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

Login under his account.
Under users in control panel delete your account and
check SAVE files. It will put them in a folder on HIS desktop.

BETTER YET: burn them to a CD First.
if you don't have one on the old PC, buy or borrow something with portable media.
Thumbdrive, 256 meg, is about 60.00 now.

You may have a corrupted user profile. The easiest way to fix it is to copy all your files, delete the account and make it new again.

Hard drives are not a good backup media unless all the data you are storing is also stored somewhere else.

Collapse -
Re:Delete account...
by dmedina / April 24, 2004 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Delete account...

Okay, my files are saved & I've deleted my account, rebooted the computer & there's only his account now & STILL no Turn off button *sigh*

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Disappearing "turnoff" button.
by Cetin Denislam / April 24, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

OK, so you already have two accounts. If the Turn Off button is showing in the second account (your husband's) and per your description this isn't present in yours, I'd leave the things as they are. It's a small annoyance and it's not the end of the world.

You can still use either Logoff button and subsequently Turn Off procedure or the below workarounds.

- Click am empty desktop area and press Alt F4. This should bring the three shutdown buttons menu.

- Create a shutdown shortcut.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Disappearing
by dmedina / April 24, 2004 5:27 AM PDT

Well the turnoff button isn't showing in EITHER account - it disappeared from both at the same time. And yes, it's a small annoyance but he grips about it all the time & I just want to FIX it. Trust me - he'd NEVER remember the alt F4 & I'd have to put it on a sticky on his monitor. I was just hoping that someone on here could tell me how the heck to restore it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?