General discussion

Disappearing Icons on WIndows7 Desktop

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer
Inspirion 545s 00
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB Memory
750GB Hard Drive

The icons that I put on my desktop for 3 of the Games shown on the startup menu will not stay on my desktop. I have done "Create a Shortcut" for Hearts, Freecell, and Spider and they will stay until shutting down. When booting up the next day, they're no longer there. These are the only icons that I have this situation with. The others are fine and do stick around for me, which I'm glad.

Is there a trick to getting the games icons to stay put? Is there somewhere I need to change a setting for the icons to be cleaned up like I did in XP? The ones I have there I don't want to go away on me.

Thanks,

Julea

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Disappearing Icons on WIndows7 Desktop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Disappearing Icons on WIndows7 Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just checking.

My mom's machine did that for awhile. The cause was traced to a power bar with a switch. Instead of tapping the power button on the computer she would reach over and switch it off when done.

Go figure.
Bob

- Collapse -
Very interesting, but --

Hi Bob -- I tried this and thought we had it solved as when I turn off my pc at night, I don't turn it off at the tower, but do turn it off at the battery backup box. It powers down and then I put the switch off on the battery backup.

We did just try power down and then turning off computer tower as well as turning off at box, and would you believe, those game icons were all there when booting back up.

I began having some issues last evening with my paint shop pro (PSPX2 - the latest version), and ended up uninstalling it. I've not had anymore problems since doing that. I have 3 older versions of psp installed and I get the feeling that the newest version doesn't like having those older versions on pc. Well, too bad for Corel, because I happen to like the older versions far better than the new. So I uninstalled the other.

I can't imagine psp creating the icon issue, but could it have? It's nice that the icons are still in place. Fortunately it didn't affect any of the other icons -- only the games -- i.e., Spider, Freecell, and Hearts.

So, for now, it's fine -- I'll see if they stick around (LOL).

Thanks for your input.

Julea

CNET Forums