Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Disappearing fonts.

by standeb / December 10, 2007 9:22 AM PST

Hi Moderators,

I run Windows XP Pro. Word 2003. My system information are as follows.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M825VXX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1199 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 114.79 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 929.96 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I had a clean operating system installation done about August 13 2007.
however I noticed on more that one that when using Page Plus 10 Desktop Publishing program I am advised that certain fonts which I had installed in my computer e.g., Vivaldi, Viner Hand and a few others were no longer available and that substitutes were being used for my documents.

I have searched microsoft with a view to recovering those fonts with no success. I have also tried some sites but cannot find those fonts.

Can you advise with respect to what went wrong and/or whether and where I may be able to access same and how to download and install.
I understand that there is a limit to installing fonts and at the moment I only need to replace them and add a few others.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you.

standeb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disappearing fonts.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disappearing fonts.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could it be one of the usuals?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Disappearing fonts.

Many programs don't show fonts when we haven't installed a printer.

Bob

Collapse -
Disappearing fonts.
by standeb / December 10, 2007 10:50 AM PST

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply and so quickly at that. However I do have a Epson Stylus C65 printer installed. The thing is that the same comes with something called photo quicker through which one can edit photos, batch print and other stuff. Now you've got me thinking whether my failure to install the full features of the printer would have caused this problem and whether they may return if I uninstalled and re-installed the printer with the full features. With this printer you can type what you want on your photos.

I did'nt want to install the features because I have a photo program that I can do all that in.

Can you further advise.

I thank you for your kind consideration.

standeb.

Collapse -
If the PRINTER DRIVER is installed and..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 1:40 PM PST

It prints and it is the default printer then most programs will show fonts that are installed. In the control panel under FONTS you can double check your installed fonts.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Disappearing Fonts.
by standeb / December 14, 2007 11:47 PM PST

Hello Bob,

Thank your your reply. The delay in my responce is regretted and I hopefully ask your acceptance of my apologys in this premise and I do hereby apologise.

My printer is working and is the default printer. I checked the same and there seems to be no faults. However permit me to refer to and I invite you to look at a current thread in this discussion by one of your members which was very informative. In my reply to that thread I imtimated that I located and installed the fonts I needed and inquired whether I should uninstall, then re-install them via program c.ds.

Thank you for you input here It was indeed helpful and I am grateful
for it because of the edification gained.

Best regards

standeb.

Collapse -
The MOST USUAL cause ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 13, 2007 1:02 PM PST

is that you never got around to re-installing the specific application that included the font.

Vivaldi (for instance) is a commercial font, available from the foundry, Linotype (http://www.linotype.com/1590/vivaldi-family.html) and from various font sellers around the internet. It's a pretty common font, but it's not free and is not on most unless certain specific applications are installed.

Viner Hand ITC is another from the same foundry and the story is the same -
http://www.linotype.com/12110/itcvinerhandregular-font.html?PHPSESSID=6c413ea47171d8c24709ef7fa3d9936f

This link might be of some help to you as it has some tools to show you which fonts allow embedding (the font Properties Extension) -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/FreeToolsOverview.mspx

From that link by making use of the menu down the left side and choosing "Fonts and Products" you get to this page where you can select a specific font and discover which applications package it -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx

Viner Hand ITC for instance is packaged with these apps:

Access 97 SR2, FrontPage 98, Greetings 99, Home Publishing 99, Office 2000 Premium, Office 97 Small Business Edition SR2, Office 97 SR1a, Office Professional Edition 2003, PhotoDraw 2000, Picture It! 2000, Picture It! 2002, Picture It! 98, Picture It! 99, Publisher 2000, Publisher 97, Publisher 98

Collapse -
Disappearing Fonts.
by standeb / December 14, 2007 11:24 PM PST

Hi Edward,

Thank you for your reply and the included suggestions. I only saw the same just prior to the time of replying.

Since doing the clean operating system re-installation I only installed my programs from backup files. I did not re-install from the program cds.
That may probably be the reason for the problem. I did however prior to reading your thread search the internet and found Vivaldi and Viner Hand and installed them.

Do you think it would be a good idea to uninstall those fonts as well as the programs, then re-install the programs thereby retrieving them? I do have Hallmark Card Studio 2004 De-Luxe, Office Professional 2003 complete with publisher etc and Greetings 99.

Thanking you in advance while I look forward to your reply.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Yes, I would strongly recommend ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 15, 2007 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Disappearing Fonts.

actually installing the applications so you will actually be licensed to use them.

If you downloaded the Vivaldi and Viner Hand Fonts without paying for them you have illegal copies of a copyrighted font that the foundry sells for aroung $30.00. Just because someone makes one available for download doesn't make it legal. If you download and make use of the Font Properties extension at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeProperty21.mspx you would see that Vivaldi and Viner Hand both allow editable embedding - that means that you can embed the font and the recipient of the document can TEMPORARILY install the font but must delete the font after finishing with it on that one document the licensed owner embedded it in.

Since this link clearly shows what applications came with the font, if you want to use the font you should either re-install them or pay for the font.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx

Besides the legality issues, there may well be other more serious problems that might crop up and be difficult to resolve because the applications haven't been re-installed.

Collapse -
Disappearing Fonts.
by standeb / December 15, 2007 9:07 PM PST

Hi Edward,

Thank you so much for educating me so extensively on this subject. I would not have believed there was all this stuff involved. Since I joined this forum I have been priviledged to every kind of problem solution. and I am very thankful for it. I don't know what users like me would have done without this forum. In this matter you have been very informative. I can do without the illegal stuff and the consequences.

So soon as I close this thread I will be backing up my documents, uninstalling the fonts and re-installing my programs from their respective Cds.

Thank you again and best regards.

standeb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.