Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disappearing Download Box in IE7 Windows XP

First of all apologies if this has already been posted, I have searched and searched and searched some more but just can't seem to find any answers so I'm hoping perhaps someone here may help me.

I'm currently running Windows XP with IE 7 and seem to be having some big problems trying to download any files. However, this seems to be random. Occasionally I may download multiple files with no problems, other times I may download one or two but most of the time I can't download anything.

If I simply click the link to download the file the dialogue box breifly flashes on screen and then instantly disappears. If I right click and select save target as the "save as" dialogue box will appear but as soon as I press save the dialogue box will disappear again without starting the download.

My computer is connected to a network and all connected to the network are affected by this. The two desktop PC's are connected to the network via a cable (apologies don't know the right terms!) and the laptop is WiFi.

With the same PCs but using a different ISP and a different router we never had any problem. This started occuring approx 1 month after we switched ISP and got a new router. Unfortunatetly it's not possible to try the older router as it broke, and we've already borrowed another router from someone and had similar problems.

Any ideas what it could be? Is it an issue with IE7/XP or the router we are using? Or is it the ISP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disappearing Download Box in IE7 Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disappearing Download Box in IE7 Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure but

In reply to: Disappearing Download Box in IE7 Windows XP

does your new ISP have limits on downloads?

If you didn't have problems with a previous ISP but are having problems now, then all other things being equal, (No changes to IE, no other software installed, no viruses, spyware etc), it points to the ISP.

Does your browser work OK otherwise, eg can you surf web sites without problems?

What type of file downloads?

Can you try another browser, eg Firefox?

Did this new ISP also install anti-virus, anti-spyware, and/or a firewall on your computer?

Which ISP is the new one?

Perhaps others here will have better ideas, eg router settings. What router are you using now?

Mark

Collapse -
If it happens ...

In reply to: Disappearing Download Box in IE7 Windows XP

on 3 PC's (as I understand) with 1 router, 1 modem and 1 ISP, it's unlikely to be a PC problem. So it would have to be the router (or the settings), the modem or the ISP. A strange problem.
If another (borrowed) router didn't help either, that brings it back to modem, connection or ISP.

Things you can try:
1. another browser (Firefox in stead of IE)
2. a guaranteed malwarefree laptop (using hardwired connection, not wireless) from a friend or family member (be sure that every other PC connected is turned off, to prevent worms crawling into it)

If you've got problems with #2 even using different routers, it's sure to be the modem, the connection or the ISP. And that's all their stuff, so they would have to solve it.

Kees

Collapse -
Follow Up

In reply to: If it happens ...

Ok well after downloading (with much difficulty!) firefox I can download with no problems what so ever.

In internet explorer the problem is with downloading all file types (exe, doc, pdf, mp3 etc etc) but is very temperamental. The best way I can describe it is you've just got to keep trying to download and eventually it'll accept the download, the dialogue box won't disappear and you manage to download the file.

Previously we had AOL, we are now with Virgin Media.

It's a netgear router.

IE7 works fine in all other respects and I can surf the web normall except the issue with downloads.

I guess I've solved the problem in the short term as I can use firefox to download but I'd prefer to be using IE7. Because I can download with firefox I'm guessing the problem MUST be IE7. Would you suggest a reinstall?

Collapse -
Not a reinstall, but remove all BHO's.

In reply to: Follow Up

Browser Helper Objects are used extensively by IE but they are not certified or approved by anyone, and too many are 'at risk'.

Google will help you find a utility to remove all BHO's, and this is what I always suggest as the first step when confronted with IE problems.

Any BHO's that you need for specific web sites you regularly visit can be downloaded and installed again.

See if that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.