PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Disadvantage of Prebuilt PC's?

by ksoiehawo / July 14, 2005 3:03 AM PDT

I was looking into buying a dual-core PC from HP, but I would like to know what would be the disadvantages of buying a prebuilt system instead of building it myself.

The main thing I can think of is the expandability of the system, and I can't seem to find any pictures of the interior of the system...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disadvantage of Prebuilt PC's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disadvantage of Prebuilt PC's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's a thread started in
by TONI H / July 14, 2005 3:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
You can find
by Alan Copeland / July 14, 2005 3:19 AM PDT

Interior views on HP site if you know your model number. Contact HP tech support for information.

The first obstacle to home brew is compatability. Second is warranties from multiple vendors.

Many build their own and save money, but unless you have special requirements I think you can do well wih HP/FCompaq etc.

Collapse -
Prebuilt vs. Do It Yourself
by danthelanman / July 14, 2005 3:48 AM PDT

Prebuilts - Pro's - can save time, $$, and will come with some sort of warranty and support. Con's - Proprietary Hardware, ''extra'' unwanted software and support (sometimes difficult to get quickly). Also, best if able to configure system to presumably meet your needs for several years.

As for ''expandability'', if you go Prebuilt, I'd load it up with everything your thinking you'd like to have. Will cost more initially, but at least you've got it installed and under warranty with the system. If you build it, you can certainly wait til you really want it (and have the $$, if that's an issue)to install certain devices. Just try to anticipate some possibilities and make sure they'll work with the initial configuration.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by ksoiehawo / July 14, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

For the HP, on the website it lists, 1 internal 3.5 bay (occupied), and thats a bit of a concern to me.

cause I think the 3.5 is for hard drives, and I need a lot of storage, and I already have a internal drive full of photos/video/music thatd id like to add to the system and an external hard drive that i wanted to add to the system.

Collapse -
and the motherboard...
by ksoiehawo / July 14, 2005 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive

is there anyway to find out what mobo the HP uses? or do they use some sort of custom mobo that HP makes?

Collapse -
Dual Core vs Single Core
by ksoiehawo / July 14, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: and the motherboard...

Im going to use this system for a lot of video editing, so would I see a big differenec from going from a 3.0ghz single core to a 3.0Ghz dual core?

Collapse -
Extra HDD - MoBo - Dual
by danthelanman / July 14, 2005 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive

In ''General'':

You should be able to mount at least one more drive in most any box. Especially if your not installing multiple CD/DVD drives. May need some extra brackets, but those are easy to come by. As for external, as long as OS is supported by device and port type available, non-issue.?.

Most HP MoBo's are specific to HP. Makes finding a replacement difficult and expensive once out of warranty. FYI: Just parted-out an HP with a bad MoBo that was just over 1.5 yrs old. Just didn't make $$ since to purchase and install replacement.

The thing with Dual's is to make sure your apps can take advantage of the second processor. Most don't. Your $$'s are probably better spent on RAM.

Collapse -
video editing
by ksoiehawo / July 15, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

would video editing take advantage of a dual core processor?

the HP case does seem awfully cramped though, cause they took a lot of the space up for their special HP external drive thing that slides into the case...

if this doesnt work out, im just going to wait for the 3800+ Athlon64 X2 (does anyone know what the clock speed would be?), and build my own system.

Collapse -
You'll be toatally peede off,
by Ray Harinec / July 15, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

when you find how little freedom the BIOS will give you.

Collapse -
by ksoiehawo / July 15, 2005 4:14 PM PDT

i dont really touch the bios cause i never know what im doing....

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?