Laptops forum

General discussion

Disabling touchpad when mouse is plugged in?

by BigPicnic / April 6, 2005 2:04 AM PDT

This is sort of a generic laptop question.

Is there a way to have your laptop automatically disable the touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

I always use external mice, and my hand tends toaccidentally hit the touchpad annoyingly moving the cursor and messing up my typing or moving things around. It would be nice if it would automatically shutdown if the computer detected an external input device, you know?

If you can't do this natively within windows, does anyone know of any third-party utlities/hacks that would make this possible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disabling touchpad when mouse is plugged in?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disabling touchpad when mouse is plugged in?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disabling touchpad when mouse is plugged in?
by Albx / April 8, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

Have the same problem... I taped a small piece of thin card stock across the pad using double stick tape on the perimeter adjacent to the pad (don't tape directly to the pad itself). Works fine and is easily removed.

Collapse -
hack the mouse reg key...
by server / April 8, 2005 7:10 AM PDT

thats a good idea, however that makes a nice laptop look cheap. There is a registry setting burried somewhere that handles how the mouse is assigned its resources. If you find the mouse reg key you can tamper (safely) by disabling its allotted resourses. Sounds harder than it is, but locating the right key is the only hard part. You could also try (at your own risk of course) going through device manager and right click on the touchpad mouse device and check 'disable'. Between these two ideas, you should be successful. Depending on the type of laptop you have you may RISK disabling your external mouse IF the mouse resource(s) are 'shared' or share the same port(?)

still worth a try...

g'luck

Collapse -
Disabling touchpad when mouse plugged in
by alice15809 / April 9, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

Ihad the same problem and so annoying it was. I have disabled the touchpad by using Fn and F9 on my laptop which is easily reversed should you have a mouse problem as you will still be able to access the touchpad when you need it. There should be a similar function on yourlaptop somewhere.Hope this helps,Alice

Collapse -
Try BIOS set-up
by Cobber / April 10, 2005 3:28 PM PDT

On my aging Inspiron 4100 this option is available in the BIOS set-up. You can choose to disable touchpad automatically when external PS/2 mouse plugged in. Check to see if your bios offers this...

Collapse -
Disabling touchpad
by Harryh / April 13, 2005 8:39 AM PDT

In device management I have 1 HID compatible mouce with I use. And beeing desturbed of the touhpad that olways is in the way.
I looked in te "device manager" and so that there was a PC/2 for a mouse. I unaktivated that and vips the touchpad died. So now I use the USB mouse and the touchpad is dead.
Hope you can do the same.
I have a Compag Presario

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.