HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disabling "compress old files"

by win98halfbaked / April 15, 2006 10:01 AM PDT

Whenever I try to run Disk Cleanup, it starts to check how much space can be freed up, first by checking "Compress old files." Since I probably have something on the order of 5-10 million files on my computer (this isn't an exaggeration; I have several million files from research with medical data), this part of the scan essentially means that I always have to cancel Disk Cleanup, because it will never finish.
Is there any way to do Disk Cleanup, but disable the scan for old files that Windows would want to compress?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disabling "compress old files"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disabling "compress old files"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know about disabling it but...
by DarCLew2 / April 15, 2006 10:37 AM PDT

at the bottom of the compress old files is a option and I have decreased mine down to 7 days. I think that it is set at 31 days (a month and anything is deleted after that, it is deleted.Apparently, the default is 31 days but that can be changed. I just deleted appx. 2,500 files that were in there from 7 days. Darrell

Collapse -
A known problem with XP.
by seafox13 / April 15, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

This is a known bug with Win2k and WinXP. Disk Cleanup is freezing because it is searching for old files that should be compressed. To remedy this run regedit, click on My Computer. Open up Edit and click on Find. Type in "Compress Old" (less the quotation marks) and click Find Next. Regedit will find the Compress Old Files key. Press Delete and when it asks if you are sure click OK. Reboot and Disk Cleanup will run like a breeze, so I am told.

Collapse -
DELETING THE "COMPRESS OLD FILES"
by zezee3 / June 5, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

What I do, is export this registry entry FIRST. Export it into your My Documents, that way you still have it. in case you would ever want to place it back in the registry. and then once you find it in the Registry, then delete it.

Collapse -
Re: Disabling "compress old files"
by Tufenuf / April 15, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

win98halfbaked, If you're uncomfortable editing the registry an easy solution to that problem is to go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.
"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk (in your case the C: drive). Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".

It will correct your problem.

Below is Microsoft's solution which requires editing the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812248

IMHO the Kelly's fix is the way to go but that's up to you.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
And,...
by Papa Echo / April 15, 2006 2:36 PM PDT

...with that many (which I gather are very important) files, I would worry about backing up the files first (copies to CDs), than the problems of the files being compressed at disk cleanup.

Collapse -
your best bet
by ask4anu / June 5, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

UNCOMPRESS,DEFRAG,RECOMPRESS, xp has a bad bug with compressed files and can cause weird things to happen because it is compressed i have a section of my split drive compressed and it wont defrag untill i uncompress it but it is really simple to UNCOMPRESS,DEFRAG,RECOMPRESS,but you need to keep in mind too that when you uncompress the drive it gets bloated again and you very well may need to purchase another drive to move some data over too to free up some sapce so you can defrag cause there is a bug in the defrag kernell that when you fill a drive to max it out it doesnt want to complete defrag because you have no space for defrag to run as it uses system resources to do the actuall defrag (and i am not going into any detail on that cause there is not enough space here to write all that info you may also want to try another defrag program like JET DEFRAG but none the less you will have to uncompress frist before you can defrag using any defrag program cause you have to understand what it is doing when you compress any drive file or folder it compacts it into the tightest logical grouping of BYTE SECTORS it possiablily can achive and when defrag comes along rearranging those sectors it can not do so cause they are compact while defrag will start up and run it will never finish untill you uncompress the drive hope this helped you out microsoft defrag utilty sucks compared others on the market as to how it arranges data on the drives keep that in mind too

Collapse -
Deleting ''compress old files''..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 5, 2006 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: your best bet

Tufenuf's suggestions will work. This was one of the very first issue's I dealt with, when just starting out.

I hadn't delved into the registry at that point in time. I found Microsoft's article Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files simple and easy to follow. It probably would have been ''conservative'' of me, to utilize Kelly's fix. My point? The workaround isn't as difficult, as one might think. That said, if you are at all uncomfortable doing so, then follow Tufenuf's advice to d/l and run the tool. (He'll never steer you wrong! ;))

My 2

Collapse -
use ccleaner
by glennlee / June 5, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

You can avoid the whole problem by using CCleaner. It does a much better job of cleaning your disc, and does not go through the compress old files routine.

Collapse -
Running disk cleanup utility causes my computer to shut down
by lee1013 / September 8, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: use ccleaner

HP diagnosed the problem as needing to delete old compressed files, but my computer shuts down while it's running 'calculating free space'. I can't *get* to the point of being able to deleting the old files! HELP!

Collapse -
I would start wit running chkdsk ...
by Kees Bakker / September 8, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

to check the integrity of the file system on that drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Disabling "compress old files"
by wayneaking / August 3, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

Could someone please respond to the original question -- how to disable "compress old files". I'd appreciate it. I don't want to fix the microsoft bug, I just want to disable the compress old files "feature." I have terabytes of hard drive space. I don't need to compress and I hate waiting for Windows check the space saved by compression when I don't want to compress. Anyone got any ideas?

Collapse -
There is no way to do that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

Microsoft's Disk Cleanup Utility is programmed that way. It will check for compressed files so it can check how much disk space can be released if you use any of its delete options.

Other than creating your own Disk Cleanup tool, or suggesting to Microsoft that they change the programming on theirs, I am not sure what other options you have.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Disabling "compress old files"
by Tufenuf / August 3, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

wayneaking,

Go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.
"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk (in your case the C: drive). Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
disabling "compressed old files"
by Brian Dinneen / May 26, 2010 3:02 AM PDT

Here's your answer -

When disk cleanup starts, it will by default search to compress old files.
This might take some time on some machines.
If you don't use it, here is a way to disable it. The option to compress old files will not show up in cleanmgr.

To turn it off
------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

; turns compress old files in cleanmgr off
---------------------------------------

To turn it on

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]
@="{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678}"
"Priority"=dword:0000012c
"StateFlags"=dword:00000000
"StateFlags0001"=dword:00000000

; turns compress old files in cleanmgr on
----------------------------------------

Collapse -
disabling compressed old files
by Brian Dinneen / May 26, 2010 3:09 AM PDT

and they said it couldn't be done !....I enjoyed your "could sombody just answer the question" Here ya go:

When disk cleanup starts, it will by default search to compress old files.
This might take some time on some machines.
If you don't use it, here is a way to disable it. The option to compress old files will not show up in cleanmgr.

To turn it off
------------------------------------

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

; turns compress old files in cleanmgr off

To turn it on

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]
@="{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678}"
"Priority"=dword:0000012c
"StateFlags"=dword:00000000
"StateFlags0001"=dword:00000000

; turns compress old files in cleanmgr on
----------------------------------------

"could somebody just answer the question" - LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.