General discussion

Disabling Caps Lock.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Disabling Caps Lock.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Disabling Caps Lock.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What about a way to reconfigure it? Impossible?
- Collapse -
Not impossible.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :) thanks!
- Collapse -
A true story. Unix logins and caps lock.

Years ago we discovered a simple way to keep people off the engineering keyboards. Leave the keyboard in caps lock.

Those with Unix background will understand this especially when I mention these were HP 9000s.

-> The issue was solved in some other building when a manager issued a work order to remove all caps lock keys. The instruction involved a screwdriver.

Bob

- Collapse -
What about the Mac?

I'd actually like to do this on both my PC ANNND my Mac. Any links?

- Collapse -
To reassign or disable caps lock on the mac:

In Tiger (OS X 10.4.x) a button in System Preferences allows you to reassign or disable the functions of these keys: Caps Lock, Control, Option, and Command.

If you are like me and turn caps lock on by accident alot then this is useful. Also if you are like a friend of mine who is a hard-core Unix geek then you can stop complaining that the control key on a mac keyboard is "way over there".

So open system preferences, click on the "keyboard and mouse" icon, select the keyboard "tab". At the bottom is a button called "modifier keys...." Click that. So for example if you want to disable the caps lock key, from the pull down menu for "Caps Lock Key", select "no action."

For each key (caps lock, control, option and command) you can assign the function of caps lock, control, option, command, or no action.

Customize away.

Jack

CNET Forums