Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Disabling Broadband Connections

by jjlkc5 / April 11, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

I have WinXP Pro w SP2. Norton Internet Security 06, and M'soft Antispyware Beta1. I am switching Cable providers and need to go back onto dial up for a few days. I have tried to "disable" my LAN connection by going thru the icon in my Lower right system tray, plus have tried to disable thru Device Manager to Network Adapter and disable there. Each time I click disable,my PC does an immediate self restart and upon returning to desktop, an error message comes up saying your computer has just survived a major correction and do you want to notify M'soft. I have a mobo with NVidia chipset. NVIDIA nForce Network Controller. Any other suggestions? I have a laptop running Win XP and have no trouble disabling LAN connection thru "disable" when click on icon in system tray there. Thanks, Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disabling Broadband Connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disabling Broadband Connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Newer Drivers?
by the_real_martian / April 11, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

Try checking your motherboard manufacturer's website to see if they have newer drivers available. Also, check to see if the drivers are WHQL Logo'd.

Collapse -
Relply
by jjlkc5 / April 11, 2006 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Newer Drivers?

Downloaded new drivers and last checked about 4 mon ago. This drivers is Apr 05. Have DFI LanParty Ut nF3 250GB mobo. Where would I find WHQL logo? Checked info via device mgr but not see that abbrev. Thanks, Jim

Collapse -
Most likely no need to disable LAN!
by the_real_martian / April 11, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

Just try going to "Internet Options" in the Control Panel, click the "Connections" tab, and add your Dial-Up connection.

Collapse -
ADD dialup
by jjlkc5 / April 11, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

Thanks, will try that. Still have to install lthe PCI card for dialup first. Jim

Collapse -
Try....
by Papa Echo / April 11, 2006 10:08 AM PDT

...deleting the LAN connection instead of just disabling it, then disconnect the Broadband moden. Since you are changing ISP, you will have to change settings anyway. Then, if you are using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options>Connection Tab. Here, make the dialup your default connection, and select "Always dial my default connection". After you have set up your new LAN connection to the new Cable ISP, set it back to "Never dial a connection".

Collapse -
Delete LAN
by jjlkc5 / April 11, 2006 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try....

Great idea! Am going from Comcast cable to Verizon Fios fiberoptic braodband. They lay CAT5e wire/cable to one outlet. Supply a new wireless router for direct connect with ethernet cable so won't need the cable modem anymore. I am definitely gonna hate going back to dialup 56k, even for a few days!!! AHH!!! Thanks, Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!