Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Disabling A Items In Norton Security Alert

by Dariusxx / December 15, 2007 9:31 PM PST

Vista Home Premium
Norton Internet Security

I changed gthe configuration of my firewall to notify me when programs attempt to acces the internet. I was amazed (to say the least) at how many programs requested to "call Home."

Norton is now constantly alerting me about the following programs trying to access the web. I cannot turn off the warnings. i would like to know what these programs are. I have searched the web and some sites say they are trojans while others state that they are part of Microsoft.

The alerts are under the general status of svchost.exe The modules trying to access the web are:

netsh.exe

ac3config.exe

vlc.exe (I know this is a media player I installed. Why is it trying to access the web. I disabled the program from doing so but this now appears.

loader_pc_mprojector.exe

wksss.exe & wkscal.exeI read that this is a component of Microsoft Works. Why is this trying to access the web?

divxcodec/configexe- I disabled the divx program but still this component is trying to access the web

odbcad32.exe

mobsync.exe

netproj.exe

propfix.exe

hpqse.exe My PC is HP and this is in their directory

I reguarly run adaware and spybot scans. If these are not necessary how do I diable them permanently?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disabling A Items In Norton Security Alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disabling A Items In Norton Security Alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends which port they are calling
by Donna Buenaventura / December 16, 2007 12:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Perhaps a Little Info on Some...
by tobeach / December 16, 2007 4:47 PM PST

ac3config.exe : Do you have AC3 sound card/Drivers. Checking 4 Update?
vlc.exe : Same as above BUT there is new version due to Security Leak &
currently active exploit attack. (not sure: recent MP4 hole?)
divxcodec/configexe : "Disabled"? Did you Un-install or just ?
hpqse.exe : This is HP update/ upload info/ maybe download updates.
Since you run Spybot, it should have already removed or
Disabled any "Backweb" components from HP or Logitech.
BUT at each contact w/ HP, first thing they'll do is to
re-download it again. Re-run Spybot & disable in Spybots
"system start-up tool"(advanced mode, S&D top left "mode")
Note: Spybot Start-up may not list some of these if
installed after install of Spybot. If you still have
original SD exe, you could un-install& re-install& update.

I suspect several more are "updaters" which probably upload info.
Look with-in such programs for ability disable updating checks.
I find it is always good to prevent as much as possible at start-up
and just launch prog as used/needed by icon to optimize performance.

You could also try Scans w/ AVG 7.5 Anti-Spy/Malware (Free):
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0
Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Correction: Above Did You Mean "hpqusgh.exe".....
by tobeach / December 16, 2007 5:15 PM PST

possibly mis-spelling? The hpqusgh is related to HP all-in one print/scan equipment & probably should be running in background if
printer used frequently/constantly. Why call home?? Looking for updates?

I have older version of this machine & I keep disabled at start-up & powered off. I power up unit before printing & then just click "print & all works. Just takes a few extra seconds to load. Reduces system load.
Could not find reference under orig. spelling. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?